IGNORED

Your top 3 genesis/mega drive shoot em ups?

The Undecided

What are your favorite 3 shoot em ups on genesis/mega drive ? Mine are as follows..

1. Lightening force (thunder force 4)

first shooter I ever played and one of the best shooters ever. The music is fantastic. Level 5 is very memorable..

2. Twin hawk (mega drive exclusive)

I like the unique set up with calling in additional planes as your bombs. The enemy German tanks and weird bosses are interesting.

3. Raiden trad

I prefer this over the turbografx/pc engine port of raiden. The red icon spread shot fully powered is godlike.

Edited by The Undecided

Task Force Harrier EX

Grind Stormer (V-V)

Truxton (though I suck at it)

As you can see I prefer vertical shoot em ups, not to say I don't love the Thunder Force games (I do).

13 hours ago, chuckwalla said:

Shmups, you ask??

M.U.S.H.A.

Truxton

Lightening Force

By the way, there's a guy on ebay doing perfect repro's of Genesis carts and he doesn't use the crappy, thicker, Chinese knockoff boards. 

https://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_ssn=foreverfroggy1111&_sop=10

(I'm not affiliated with them in any way, shape, or form)

YE GODS... those labels!

"We strip the label from the old game and replace it with a label for the new game, so you are getting an authentic Sega Genesis game shell. Please note that the labels are intentionally designed in a way to keep people from reselling my reproductions as original games, so they will not look exactly like the original label."

That's still not an excuse for the labels to look so bad. Just put reproduction on the label and print it on glossy paper not copy paper!

Edited by DragonGrafx-16

Gotta dive in here... ;)

Thunder Force III

- this was the game that sold me on the Genesis in the first place, one of the first games I played on the machine and after only playing the NES before, it blew me away. Difficulty isn't part of my grading. ;)

Lightening Force

- probably would be above 3 but the weapons just feel underpowered to me, ;) plus the slowdown takes half a point.

Third one is tough for me - I never got deep into any other shooters on the Genesis. Thunder Force spoke to me though. I even hacked up 2,3 and 4 into a personal multicart with a few hacks... ;)  

(I got it all working after that video, of course ;) )

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Jin said:

1. Thunder Force III

2. Raiden Trad

3. Truxton

I dig M.U.S.H.A. and Lightening Force as well, but they're both a bit too difficult for my taste in spite of being amazing in the graphics and music departments. Honorable mentions to Phelios, Elemental Master, and Vapor Trail. :)

Musha is too difficult, but Raiden Trad and Truxton aren't? ?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Austin said:

Musha is too difficult, but Raiden Trad and Truxton aren't? ?

Not for me, I've beaten both Raiden Trad and Truxton several times but could never get past the second level in MUSHA. I think the problem for me with MUSHA is that there's just too much stuff flying around on the screen at once for my eyes to keep track of, it's super confusing to my brain. :lol:

1 minute ago, Jin said:

Not for me, I've beaten both Raiden Trad and Truxton several times but could never get past the second level in MUSHA. I think the problem for me with MUSHA is that there's just too much stuff flying around on the screen at once for my eyes to keep track of, it's super confusing to my brain. :lol:

What are you doing with Raiden and Truxton--putting them on the easiest difficulty levels and using cheats and bombing all the bosses? :lol:

Musha to me is one of the easiest shooters on the system on its default difficulty level (and I think there's an easy mode, too?). I always figured that was a reason the average player liked it so much. Maybe you just need to spend more time with it (I'm not saying it'll become a favorite, but I do find it odd that it's challenging to you).

Not necessarily the best, but these are my favorites, ones that I have the most nostalgia for.

Thunder Force 3

Steel Empire

Phelios

I also like Twin Cobra a lot. Its a really good arcade port. I have the Jamma board for that game too. Unfortunately I haven't been able to test it since I got it off of ebay in 2009. I played a lot of Task Force Harrier and Gaiares when they first came out.

Edited by Sneakyturtleegg

• 2 weeks later...

I just got Arrow Flash today. I like it. My only issue is that autofire should be on by default. The transforming ship into a mech reminds me of Heavy Unit (I have the PC Engine version) except you can transform whenever you want. It's also much better than Heavy Unit...

Edited by DragonGrafx-16