IGNORED

just picked up Dragon Quest Builders 2

digdugnate

I picked up Dragon Quest Builders 2 today after playing the demo for a couple of days.  The demo was a lot more engaging than I expected- it has the RPG elements of Dragon Quest but the crafty stuff similar to Minecraft.

I'm the one person in our house that really doesn't care for Minecraft, but I liked how it was mixed into the gameplay of this game.  More to come as I play it!

---- (my edit below)

so i've sunk around 13 hours or so in the game and am having a ton of fun questing and building in the game.  the graphics and sound are fantastic, the gameplay is tight, and the building aspect folds really well into the overall game.   i felt like that the minor puzzles and challenges were somewhat difficult but scaled where they weren't impossible without a bit of thinking through the solution.  

if i had any minor gripes, one would be that i'm clumsy at placing stuff and using the 'watering pot' (but that's me), and that sometimes it's annoying that the 'A' button does all your actions (including swapping your tools).  

overall, though, it was a good purchase :)  

Did you play the first Dragon Quest Builders by chance?  I played it to the third or fourth world/level and stopped because it was a little too much of the same thing over and over.  I've heard there is more RPG aspects in this one which intrigues me.  

I was planning on going out and grabbing the new Marvel game for my Switch but I need to consider DQ Builders 2 as well.  Normally I would buy both but then one would sit on the shelf (and likely get shelved and forgotten lol)

I didn't play the first one so went into this one pretty much blind, lol.  I'm guessing I am like 1/4 of the way through maybe? 

DQB2 is broken up in 'Islands' for story progression and I'm well through the second island doing the mining stuff.  While one of the blueprints is pretty daunting (this one building has taken probably the last 4 hours or so of my game time I think between gathering and building), so far the game has mixed up the crafting and role-playing sections really well.  

Marvel looks interesting, but I think I want to give that one a few weeks or so to see how it pans out.  i've been bitten in the rear from impulse buys of other new games- later on if it looks like to me it'd be a fun Diablo-esque Marvel game I might buy in.  I do kind of miss the Gazillion Marvel Heroes MMO before they shuttered the studio- that one for the most part was a lot of fun.

Ahh gotcha... the first one was not islands but rather different worlds where you start over from scratch but with the building knowledge from the previous world.  I liked it but thought "What was the point of building up the town only to lose it".  Maybe it worked out being worlds that combine later on but after defeating a boss you went to a different world that needed to be rebuilt.

What interests me on DQB2 is the questing aspects... I don't recall there being any questing in the first one.. well other than searching for materials to build your town/settlement.  I'll do some more research to see what I want to play.  Have fun with the game!

• Like 1

thanks!  it's been a blast so far.

I'm a bit further in the game now and I will say that i ended up coming back to the previous islands to do minor stuff- you can get mini-medals by doing these shrine-type puzzles on each island.  i think returning benefits the folks that really enjoy building or want to improve on their janky houses from when they didn't know what they were doing like myself.  ;)

personally i'm going to return to the other islands once i finish working on the other story-focused stuff for that very reason, but of course everyone's mileage varies with that.  the first comment my son (who has been playing Minecraft his whole life practically, lol) made was 'why don't your buildings have roofs?' lol

You have to tell your son that you didn't learn how to build roofs yet.  Lol  Well at least in the first game that was the case.  

Speaking of kids playing Minecraft... my son recently got the Minecraft itch again and is playing it pretty heavy.  I prefer it to the last year of Fortnite.  lol

Anyway, back to DQB2... I like the idea that you can return to the previous islands as you can see what you did and improve it or just see how you've progressed.  I'm such a fan of all things in the Dragon Quest world that I will likely grab this.

• Like 1

i'm over 50 hours in now.  :)  I think that I'm pretty close to the end of the game, but I've been deliberately not been looking stuff up on the game to keep it fresh.  Right now, I'm about the kill the big baddy of Moonbrooke.

I will say that I ran into some significant frame drops in the section I'm doing- I'd guess it's between 10 and 15 fps so it is pretttttty laggy.  i do really think as well I need to level some since i barely touch the bad guys in the section I'm in.  

I think maybe I give the game a break till next weekend and play something else to go in fresh, lol