IGNORED

AtariProtos Updates

Tempest

2 hours ago, Tempest said:

Here's an odd one.  This Pole Position prototype tests differently than the final version, but I see absolutely no differences.  Anyone want to take a look?

newpp.bin 8 kB · 0 downloads

I’m a huge fan of 2600 Pole Position & I play it regularly during my gaming sessions. I know it quite well and I’m happy to play test this one & let you know what, if anything I notice. Thanks Matt.

Was finally able to play test the pole position rom last night for about 30 minutes or so. Have not observed or noticed anything different yet. Looks, sounds, and plays the same as far as I could tell.

I’ll do some additional back to back comparisons with the final and report back.

On 7/27/2019 at 12:07 PM, TrekMD said:

Kangaroo looks so much better with black background.  I wonder why they chose to change the backgroudn to blue.  

I believe using a color, besides black, for the background was often very much encouraged, if not a directive, intended to 'show off' the system.  That is why Ms. Pac-Man's background is blue too.  Hacks exist that make Ms. Pac-Man's background black.  A few of them are linked to in this thread.

Just in case anyone wants the retail Kangaroo version in black too, it's been done as well.

There's a thread that had a slew, if not all, of the 'black hacks' centralized for downloading.  I think Nukey was behind many of them.

4 hours ago, Trebor said:
On 7/27/2019 at 12:07 PM, TrekMD said:

Kangaroo looks so much better with black background.  I wonder why they chose to change the backgroudn to blue.  

I believe using a color, besides black, for the background was often very much encouraged, if not a directive, intended to 'show off' the system.  That is why Ms. Pac-Man's background is blue too.  Hacks exist that make Ms. Pac-Man's background black.  A few of them are linked to in this thread.

Just in case anyone wants the retail Kangaroo version in black too, it's been done as well.

There's a thread that had a slew, if not all, of the 'black hacks' centralized for downloading.  I think Nukey was behind many of them.

I guess that makes sense.

1 hour ago, Tempest said:

I guess that makes sense.

Memory can be faulty here, but I thought there was an official letter or guideline of sorts that specifically stated something to that effect respecting background color. 

I did find the Black Hack thread mentioned previously.  Additionally, currently page 20 from the 2600 Hacks forum has more black hacks for any interested.

Circus Atari Black, Flag Capture Black, Video Chess Black, Alien Black, Air Sea Battle Black, Missile Command Black, Tron DD Black, River Raid Black, Combat Black, Adventure Black, Street Racer Black, Bowling Black, Kaboom! Black, Video Olympics Black, Outlaw Black, Surround Black, Maze Craze Black, and more.  Correction to the credits though, neotokeo2001 is the one behind the vast majority of them.

Sorry, didn't mean to derail. That Kangaroo background color comment triggered the memory.

7 hours ago, CPUWIZ said:

Yep, same on my Retina MacBook, which has a pretty high resolution.

Weird.  I'll have to look at that.  It shows up normally on my home and work PC (Firefox/Linux and Chrome/Win 10).

What OS/Browser are you all using?

48 minutes ago, Lynxpro said:

When I saw the Roklan bit, I was hoping their version of Gyruss for the 5200/8-Bit had been acquired... one day...

So had we.  We did find the 2600 Gyruss source code though which is kind of cool.

• Like 1

A little late with this follow-up, but I also recall conversation about how Atari really encouraged the use of color in 2600 games.  That policy started drying up around 1982 as the silver-label era got underway, but I imagine it didn't disappear all at once.  I recall some of the very first silver boxes still boasted "X game variations" before that too finally went away.

On 7/22/2019 at 2:36 AM, Rom Hunter said:

Many thanks for dumping these and sharing them.

I'll add this to the V16 collection.

8)

Lord almighty, I think I came in on v09. I don;t even remember what year that was. ?

7 hours ago, Tempest said:

Weird.  I'll have to look at that.  It shows up normally on my home and work PC (Firefox/Linux and Chrome/Win 10).

What OS/Browser are you all using?

On the normal ones, you have this:

<table width="100%" border="0">

On the wide one, you have this:

<table style="width: 1812px; height: 1967px;" border="0">

Great.  I honestly have no idea how that happened, something must have accidentally gotten inserted from another page or something.  The tool I use (BlueGriffon) isn't the greatest but it's free.  I'm also not the best HTML coder if you haven't noticed. :)

Thanks for pointing that out.  Let me know if you see anything else weird like that.

• Like 1

On 7/31/2019 at 3:17 PM, Lynxpro said:

When I saw the Roklan bit, I was hoping their version of Gyruss for the 5200/8-Bit had been acquired... one day...

Apart from the programmer, are there other people known to have the Roklan edition of Gyruss for the 8-bit?

Are there only 2600 games in the archive or did you also find Atari computer stuff?

Thanks!

11 minutes ago, www.atarimania.com said:

Apart from the programmer, are there other people known to have the Roklan edition of Gyruss for the 8-bit?

Are there only 2600 games in the archive or did you also find Atari computer stuff?

Thanks!

There were things for all systems including Atari 8-bit stuff. I just haven't gotten around to reviewing them yet.  

I don't believe anyone has the alternate Gyruss.