IGNORED

Atari Flashback X (10) spotted on Instagram?

(Long time lurker... First time poster!)

Saw this in Atgame's Instagram "story" post last night and grabbed a screenshot.

Instagram account name is "atgamesdigitalmedia". Click on their on their profile pic to see the story yourself.

Stories expire after 24 hours but it's still there as of 7/25/19 11am Central.

Image (1).png

Image (1) - Edited (1).png

Edited by BeamRider
  • Like 5

8 minutes ago, ToddL said:

Any particular reason why the SD card slot was dropped? Will paddles be available this year and/or will the unit work with original paddles?

I can't go into details, but if a feature is dropped, just assume that it's because of a non-technical reason.

I believe original paddles will work. I haven't had a chance to verify on my unit yet. More details about the X will be officially posted soon. For the immediate future, the focus is on the arcade machine and pre-orders.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

39 minutes ago, Atariboy said:

Too bad the SD slot is gone. Going to be tough for me to personally justify buying any more of these with such a major downgrade. 

I do like the case though, so perhaps. :)

Agreed... I'm guessing it might have been a legal issue? Flashback 9 Gold was awesome except for the paddles issue. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bill Loguidice said:

I can't go into details, but if a feature is dropped, just assume that it's because of a non-technical reason.

So without an SD card slot, will AtGames at least utilize its recent licensing agreement by including these Disney and Lucasfilm titles?

Donald Duck's Speedboat

Sorcerer's Apprentice

Adventures of Tron

Deadly Discs

Muppet's Pigs in Space

Star Wars Death Star Battle

Jedi Arena

The Arcade Game

The Empire Strikes Back

Ewok Adventure

Edited by TrekkiELO
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Bill Loguidice said:

Good detective work. Yes, that's it and with 5 switches. No SD card slot, though. It's really small, well-designed, and attractive, so I think even as a project case it will be pretty cool. 

Will there be an Atari Flashback Portable 4 for 2019 and what about its SD card slot?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bill Loguidice said:

I believe original paddles will work. I haven't had a chance to verify on my unit yet. More details about the X will be officially posted soon. For the immediate future, the focus is on the arcade machine and pre-orders.

So no paddles for the Atari Flashback 9 Gold then?

Edited by TrekkiELO

9 hours ago, TrekkiELO said:

So without an SD card slot, will AtGames at least utilize its recent licensing agreement by including these Disney and Lucasfilm titles?

No, but it will be a nice selection of games. The other products will be featuring more of those types of titles.

1 hour ago, bugcatcher88 said:

I'm happy the case is getting a much-needed refresh. It looks much more faithful to the original than previous iterations.

I've noticed the console is connected to wired controllers. Will there still be a wireless configuration available as well?

I can't say for certain there won't be other variations as of yet, but the core model is definitely only wired.

• Like 1

I posted this question quite a while back but never got an answer.  Was there a way to access the TV type control (BW/Color) on the Flashback 9 or 9 Gold?  There was no documentation for it that I could find and some games require it, including some games included on the system (Secret Quest for example).

If there was not a way to access this control, it still needs to be added in an update which leads to a second question:

Now that we are so far along in the year, will AtGames still support last year's models with updates, or will they forget about all of us customers of previous years?

3 hours ago, AAA177 said:

Does this unit have the ability to accept actual cartridges? 

If you're talking genuine 2600 cartridges, the scale is obviously wrong. The cartridge slot looks to be less than 1/3 the width of the base of a 2600 joystick. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, KevinMos3 said:

I posted this question quite a while back but never got an answer.  Was there a way to access the TV type control (BW/Color) on the Flashback 9 or 9 Gold?  There was no documentation for it that I could find and some games require it, including some games included on the system (Secret Quest for example).

If there was not a way to access this control, it still needs to be added in an update which leads to a second question:

Now that we are so far along in the year, will AtGames still support last year's models with updates, or will they forget about all of us customers of previous years?

Yes, that function is present. In terms of additional updates, at this point for the 9 series, it's likely there will be only bug fixes, if needed. It's already been updated to address any previous issues and I'm not aware of anything else of note.

7 hours ago, Bill Loguidice said:

Yes, that function is present. In terms of additional updates, at this point for the 9 series, it's likely there will be only bug fixes, if needed. It's already been updated to address any previous issues and I'm not aware of anything else of note.

Other than the paddle issues or is there no hope for that at this point?

18 hours ago, Bill Loguidice said:

How do we access the TV Type (BW/Color) switch?  I've not seen it documented and I've also tried many controller combinations.

Features I'd like to see added to both the Atari and Sega Flashbacks from 2018 is the ability to add our own overlays/borders and menu music to the SD card.  This could be as simple as pointing the emulator to prioritize a config on the SD card if present and if not, read the internal one.  Then we could add an ogg file to a designated folder and place PNGs in a folder for overlays.

The other thing I believe needs an update is that the Atari version suffers much more slowdown after applying the current firmware update.  The scanlines are much nicer, but I wish I could go back because of the slower emulation with the update.

Edited by KevinMos3