IGNORED

Atari Flashback X (10) spotted on Instagram?

15 minutes ago, Bill Loguidice said:

It's technically out. Per usual, it might take some time for availability everywhere.

Including the official website. It would be nice to see it there -- it still shows last year's stuff. 

https://www.atgames.us/collections/productline

I was one of the first to get an Atari Flashback Portable because that was the only place to buy it at first. 

20 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

Including the official website. It would be nice to see it there -- it still shows last year's stuff. 

https://www.atgames.us/collections/productline

I was one of the first to get an Atari Flashback Portable because that was the only place to buy it at first. 

That almost always lags. On the plus side, the Legends Ultimate home arcade website should be pretty well populated for launch.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bill Loguidice said:

Wow that was fast, thanks @Bill Loguidice!  HUGE sigh of relief that no soldering is required!  So my rudimentary analysis is that this method seems to operate the same as the SD slot did for the FB9?  I guess one *could* assume that the right honorable @Brad_from_the_80s should be able to adapt his software from the FB9 for the FBX (provided he gets his hands on one)?  I'd love to see a hack where you could wipe the internals and just load what you wanted without even needing a USB drive someday. 

Because the usb port is connected for data and there is a way to modify firmware, it is likely I will be able to do something with FB X also in addition to this hack.  But it will have to wait until I actually have one and have time to look around in it.  Currently still playing with some ideas for FB 9, making slow progress as I have time.

8 minutes ago, Brad_from_the_80s said:

Because the usb port is connected for data and there is a way to modify firmware, it is likely I will be able to do something with FB X also in addition to this hack.  But it will have to wait until I actually have one and have time to look around in it.  Currently still playing with some ideas for FB 9, making slow progress as I have time.

The 'good news' is that the update file provided by Bill will have everything you need ?

Edited by rmr_md

It's very good, but obviously well out of date when I believe Stella is now up to 6.0.2.

I had a feeling it wasn't going to be updated. In their defense, it's very good as-is and they'd surely never regain their investment in getting a much newer version of Stella going on it. But it still stinks when an even better version of Stella exists that's more accurate, plays more games, etc.

That the community has upgraded the build of Stella on the Retron '77 is a strong selling point in Hyperkin's favor in the Atari enthusiast community. But we're just a drop in the bucket and not the sales that AtGames is worried about. That all said, I'll reiterate that Stella version 3.9.3 is still top notch.

Hopefully one of these days they'll make that investment. At least the case is getting a long overdue refresh this year for the better (I never had issues with the old case, but this looks so much better) and external rom support is still present, albeit in a roundabout manner. And hopefully quality control at the factory was looked at this year after some disappointing issues in 2018.

Some personal highlights from buying a Flashback 9 and a Legends Flashback last year are a spring loaded SD slot that requires me to use a butter knife to retrieve the card since the spring never worked in my Legends Flashback, and buying a new FB9 to swap joysticks with and return (the player 1 joystick button didn't register half my shots). 

I believe I've bought 11 AtGames products before 2018's lineup and never had issues like these. Yet both flagship products were partially faulty for me last year out of the box. Only my Blast paddle unit was free of build problems out of the three 2018 AtGames systems I bought.

I was still pleased with both purchases, but that obviously dragged it down a bit and the anecdotal evidence around the internet seemed to suggest I was far from alone. 

Edited by Atariboy

2 hours ago, Swami said:

Shows up at Sam's Club through Google Shopping, but not through Sam's Club search. Also, Montgomery Ward. :?

https://www.samsclub.com/p/atari-flashback-x-deluxe/prod23230006?xid=cart_product

It says Special Edition Includes Special Edition 10 Bonus Games Total 120 Games on the Atari Flashback X Deluxe box photo, wonder what they are?!

Description

120 built-in games that include 10 bonus games

Edited by TrekkiELO

13 hours ago, Atariboy said:

It's very good, but obviously well out of date when I believe Stella is now up to 6.0.2.

I had a feeling it wasn't going to be updated. In their defense, it's very good as-is and they'd surely never regain their investment in getting a much newer version of Stella going on it. But it still stinks when an even better version of Stella exists that's more accurate, plays more games, etc.

Unfortunately, it requires multiple parties and considerable time to have an updated build, as well as potential changes in hardware. Hopefully that can all come together at a future date, but as you say, for most people, 3.9.2 is quite good.

17 minutes ago, Swami said:

The Extra Light Fiver seems to be limited to Sam's Club and a few oddball stores probably just taking pre-orders. Any idea on when the general release will be, i.e., Amazon, Target, Walmart, etc.

It's just going to take time to propagate. All products except for the arcade machine are basically at various retailers, so it's just a matter of time before they're more widely available.

On 10/22/2019 at 12:43 AM, TrekkiELO said:

It says Special Edition Includes Special Edition 10 Bonus Games Total 120 Games on the Atari Flashback X Deluxe box photo, wonder what they are?!

Description

120 built-in games that include 10 bonus games

The only new additions I've seen are Strategy X and Marine Wars (both from Konami).

The other 8 are from last year's model: 

Backgammon, Frog Pond, Fun with Numbers, Slot Machine (Atari)

Chase It, Escape It, Shield Shifter, and Miss It.

• Thanks 1