IGNORED

Doom Classic now on eshop

Flojomojo

yup yup yup!  I just bought Doom.  I just couldn't get into Doom II when it came out, even though I owned a copy of it.   Doom, however, is pure 90s goodness.

lots of hours spent playing WADs I'd get from shareware diskettes at like the grocery store, hehe.

• Like 1

Yeah I'm having trouble restraining myself, NOA made it easy when they locked in a Paypal option instead of my dumb debit card.  I have had Doom in the past but those fools removed it from IOS and Android so that was maddening, but I'm thinking Switch would make better sense other than the more limiting access because of direct input.  With my iphone8plus I'd have to still deal with touch control which isn't ideal at all.  Still soooo tempting.

I do come to think of it still have it on Android, they did this sick deal for D3BFG for Shield owners as it got a special Tegra release, so it included all 3 versions for $10 at the time so I snapped it up fast.

I miss Wolfenstein3D, that was up at the same time as Doom was the first go around before they fell into Bethesda's hands which is likely why they all got pulled years back.

editing this -- Bizarre, the iphone app store shows all their old releases including doom and wolf3d still for sale if you're pre-ios11 along with rage, doom2 rpg, and doom resurrection and nothing works except doom, and they want me to pay for it again?!  Really?  >:\

Edited by Tanooki

You don't have to pay again if you bought it already. 

DOOM by id Software
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/doom/id336347946

The other games haven't been updated for 64-bit. Would be nice if they supported them, but I'm not holding my breath. 

Sounds like this is a Unity game, which is why it looks the same on all platforms. Also sounds like they pulled some dickish shenanigans on the Xbone version. 

8 hours ago, digdugnate said:

yup yup yup!  I just bought Doom.  I just couldn't get into Doom II when it came out, even though I owned a copy of it.   Doom, however, is pure 90s goodness.

lots of hours spent playing WADs I'd get from shareware diskettes at like the grocery store, hehe.

How could you not get into Doom II? It's pretty much just Doom with more levels and the double barrel shotgun...

• Like 3

I'm interested in Doom 3 since I've never played it yet, but the fact it's 8 GB makes me wish they released the three games on one card.

I'm on the fence about the first two though. I don't know the first one very well but I didn't manage to go very far in the second one without cheating. Plus Doom 64 could make a return, so I may wait a little (yes, I know it's a different game)...

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, roots.genoa said:

I'm interested in Doom 3 since I've never played it yet, but the fact it's 8 GB makes me wish they released the three games on one card.

I'm on the fence about the first two though. I don't know the first one very well but I didn't manage to go very far in the second one without cheating. Plus Doom 64 could make a return, so I may wait a little (yes, I know it's a different game)...

It must be using the Doom 3 BFG Edition (or a modified version of it) ... because Doom 3 only takes up 1.5GB on my PC's hard drive.

It's being removed, so don't let it stop you. :)

Even in its current state, it doesn't sound as awful as has been portrayed at the places I've looked at. If I read Flojo's post right, it's just a one time thing and then can be played offline. But people are up in arms since I think they're under the impression you have to call home every single time you want to play the game. 

Considering you're online anyways just to download it, the only annoyance here amounts to having to make an account with Bethesda (Or if a fluke happens and Bethesda has server issues preventing authentication for your newly purchased game, which obviously would be pretty annoying). 

The complaining did the trick though even if it was blown way out of proportion, since they're backtracking and removing the silly requirement completely. 

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Punisher5.0 said:

The bullshit DRM is an automatic pass for me unfortunately 

they said they are going to remove it, plus once you log in once, it doesn't ask again or stop you from playing  off line(I can't  test if you need to log in the first time since even after deleting and redownloading the games it didn't ask again)

Anyone tried Doom 3 yet?

I'm curious if they got rid of the L3 nonsense for running that the BFG Edition was plagued with on the 360 and PS3 and moved it to a proper button (Or at least provide the option this time).

I haven't even played it on my 360 because of that silly button mapping choice and the lack of a way to fix it. Waiting until I own a Xbox One and can temporarily remap my buttons at the OS level to fix it before doing a playthrough, thanks to the handy introduction on the XB1 of being able to map controls at the system level to let gamers fix games coded by developers too lazy to include customizable controls or at least provide a sensible default control configuration. 

Also kind of curious how these new Doom 1 and 2 ports perform. Not too crazy to learn that they're running in Unity, an engine that seemingly is very difficult to get consistent performance out of based off what I've played (And the frame rate troubles that some high profile Unity games like Yooka Laylee got in the gaming press). These ports shouldn't push it to any degree so hopefully they maintain their frame rate target 99.9% of the time, but I wouldn't make book on it (Doom 3 may also be in Unity, but I don't think anyone has confirmed it yet).

Edited by Atariboy

i will admit, they suckered me on the game and then i was like 'what the heck, i have to remember what my account info is to play?'.  I did remember my stuff, but I felt like it was unnecessary.

having been a long-time WoW player (recently recovered), though, it confuses the heck out of me at first glance every time i see the Bethesda account referred to as 'BNet'. hehe

• Like 1

@Atariboy Performance of the old games is good and seems optimized. 

I have very little interest in Doom 3 so I haven't tried that one, but I suspect it's fine as well. There are source ports of all of these games from many years ago that ran well on Android phones. 

The MIDI instruments for the music are a little harsh, and I wish there were other choices. I'm used to more customization in my DOOM. 

11 hours ago, Atariboy said:

Anyone tried Doom 3 yet?

I'm curious if they got rid of the L3 nonsense for running that the BFG Edition was plagued with on the 360 and PS3 and moved it to a proper button (Or at least provide the option this time).

I'm afraid they didn't. ? The only thing that can be changed in the controls is swapping buttons for jumping and using (terminals are awful by the way). ?
Most games do it the right way now (even if you release L3, you keep running if you hold the direction) but I've always hated the whole L3 & R3 concept.

• Like 1

Here's an article from 2017 detailing how. Some of the details may have changed since then with dashboard updates, but I imagine the process is basically the same in 2019 (Like I said, I'm not yet a Xbox One owner).

https://www.howtogeek.com/254132/how-to-remap-your-xbox-one-controllers-buttons/

PS4 also has this I discovered recently. I think I found it under a menu option called accessibility. 

2 minutes ago, Atariboy said:

PS4 also has this I discovered recently. I think I found it under a menu option called accessibility. 

And yet, 25 years after the first PlayStation was released, it still isn't possible to swap confirm and cancel buttons for menus.
Well, actually, a recent firmware update allowed Asian systems owners to swap them to follow the western mapping style, but not the other way around... ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1