IGNORED

Doom Classic now on eshop

Flojomojo

2 hours ago, Flojomojo said:

The worst is when they're inconsistent, using O for confirm and X for cancel. Namco games in particular do this. 

Or or switching between Wii U/Switch/3DS and Xbox, where 3oclock "A" is confirm on Nintendo, and 6'oclock "A" is the same function on Xbox and PC. 

Argh!

I kept pressing the B button on my Wii Pro controller the other day... lol

I went ahead and bit on the switch.  At this point the need to have a bethesda account is still there.  :x
Luckily my son already has an account so I just used his information.  I'll update later if they happen to remove this feature as supposedly promised.

I mostly got this because 4 player multiplayer is supported on one console so I figured what the heck.  The misses and I can blast through the game.

I picked up Doom 3 for myself because I want to play it ( played it on the original Xbox way back when ).

My son let me borrow his Doom disc ( the remake ) for his xbox.  He said it comes with a bunch of DLC and other stuff.  So I loaded that up on my xbox.

On 7/26/2019 at 10:35 PM, Flojomojo said:

You don't have to pay again if you bought it already. 

DOOM by id Software
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/doom/id336347946

The other games haven't been updated for 64-bit. Would be nice if they supported them, but I'm not holding my breath. 

Sounds like this is a Unity game, which is why it looks the same on all platforms. Also sounds like they pulled some dickish shenanigans on the Xbone version. 

Well my phone says I do, not sure why.  I got them early on when I finally got into the iphone world with the 5S and iPad2 years ago.  It's not even showing up on my account.  I've had other stuff over time mysteriously drop off, and no way I kept digital receipts that old, so it's like, would even trying to find a phone number to call Apple about it and bitch do any good in the least bit?  I remember owning and putting down multiple stages despite the swipe controls on Doom and Wolfenstein3D, but any record of ownership seemed to be wiped when they pulled that ios11 run up to cutting off out of date software.

To the stuff about Doom3, sequel, no, yet there is an add-on pack as was guessed.  I've got them both on disc, found them just a few years back in a clearance bin.  To me really that's all they're worth, clearance fodder.  I only grabbed the D3 BFG edition for my tegra based shield tablet because of Doom 1 and 2 alone.  D3 sucks, it captures NOTHING of merit in how the classic titles before it played, handled, or even in intent.  The game is one just boring ass repetitive pop scare over and over and over again.  As you go deeper in to the game, you'll hit a point where it's like every 15 seconds, an imp will pop scare teleport in from later in the stage behind you to get a cheap shot in.  It goes from wow, to tiresome, then really annoying.  The stages aren't even all that interestingly well done either and really the game serves more as a tech demo for that nice engine of the period and nothing for it being a quality game.  I'd rather have my eyes taped open to play the 3 worst console ports of Doom made in the 90s and forced to finish them than finish Doom 3 again.

• Haha 1

I didn't mind Doom 3 too much.  But it was obvious they were trying to pick up on the "scare" factor that a lot of "better' games were doing at the time.  A lot of games do the cheap shot thing where when you round a corner a door opens behind you or a demon teleports in.  Even the original Doom did that.  It's just that doom was based more on a frantic run -n- gun game style.  With  simple switch, key, keycard puzzles.

What they need to do is Quake I thru IV.  ( Yes I said IV!  )  :P

Edited by Shannon

On 7/28/2019 at 12:49 AM, masschamber said:

they said they are going to remove it, plus once you log in once, it doesn't ask again or stop you from playing  off line(I can't  test if you need to log in the first time since even after deleting and redownloading the games it didn't ask again)

I'm not a huge Doom fan myself although this could have been an impulse buy. Their attempt to force you to sign up for their own service as drm pretty much tossed any idle interest out the window.

I've gotten well past forgiving a publisher for doing a 180 only after they're bitched out by a mob.  They may say it was a "mistake" but I've seen WAY too many devs and publishers claim that only after being dragged across burning coals. Which is what happened here as well.  Yeah, I'll just give someone else my money.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Shannon said:

I didn't mind Doom 3 too much.  But it was obvious they were trying to pick up on the "scare" factor that a lot of "better' games were doing at the time.  A lot of games do the cheap shot thing where when you round a corner a door opens behind you or a demon teleports in.  Even the original Doom did that.  It's just that doom was based more on a frantic run -n- gun game style.  With  simple switch, key, keycard puzzles.

What they need to do is Quake I thru IV.  ( Yes I said IV!  )  :P

I really loved Quake IV's campaign... the multiplayer not so much... I first had it on 360, but bought it on PC later. The 360 version did come with Quake II, which allowed for 4 player splitscreen and even local co-op.

1 minute ago, DragonGrafx-16 said:

The 360 version did come with Quake II, which allowed for 4 player splitscreen and even local co-op.

I forgot about that.  I might have to dig it out and play some co-op with the misses.  I thought IV was ok.. but the frame rate was horrendous!  :o

On 7/26/2019 at 1:52 PM, digdugnate said:

yup yup yup!  I just bought Doom.  I just couldn't get into Doom II when it came out, even though I owned a copy of it.   Doom, however, is pure 90s goodness.

lots of hours spent playing WADs I'd get from shareware diskettes at like the grocery store, hehe.

Really?!? Gotta explain what the difference was. What was it about II that turned you off? I personally found II just as engaging as the first - as did my gramma who was an avid Doom fan too.

I got most of my Doom wads and mods via modem. I had just installed a 14.4K almost for that purpose alone. ProComm+ for Win 3.1.. days almost as memorable as the Apple II+ a decade earlier.

Edited by Keatah
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Keatah said:

I got most of my Doom wads and mods via modem. I had just installed a 14.4K almost for that purpose alone. ProComm+ for Win 3.1.. days almost as memorable as the Apple II+ a decade earlier.

Same here.  I actually got a lot of my Doom WADS from AOL.  :lol: 

Before I got a real ISP!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

as a post-mortem, holy hell does Doom complain if you aren't connected to the Internet.  I was fighting with my ISP on some other stuff last night and had to cancel out like 4 different 'you're not connnneccctted' screens on my Switch before I could get in and shoot demons.

Hopefully when the games are patched to not require the Bethesda login this will be less of a pain.

Yeah, it's like "turn off airplane mode as soon as circumstances permit" which I've never seen before.

I don't want to hear about this tracking stuff being an "error," it's pretty egregious and obviously deliberate. 

I'm tempted to sniff the network connection and see how often it's phoning home when connected. 

The ios DoomII was updated yesterday but this wasn't changed. 

10 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

Surely this is the one for Nvidia Shield? I haven't watched the video yet so I don't know what they said. 

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.id.doom3bfg

John said it wasn't available to download even though it was previously bought. I dont know what country he lives in. I could have sworn in another video it was said he is not in the states. Maybe its not available there.

• Like 1

Yup that's the Doom 3 BFG edition meant for the Shield tablet/console systems as it shows as Installed for me.  I was going to fire it up the other day and found out why my tablet was being so sluggish for so long and why I kind of shelved it for a year, the back was bulging so bad it popped open, battery was going to explode.  Even after the original recall back in 2015 for them, the replacement was I guess crap too.  Even out of warranty due to liability reasons, they'll replace the entire tablet for free so I boxed mine up earlier but couldn't get to the post office today. ?

I'm curious who I could even try and contact or how over Doom for iOS because as far as the store shows I never had it, but I know I had it, hell I removed it because they refused to update for ios11 a year ago and it got removed.  I doubt I'd play it a whole lot, but I'd prefer that over Doom2 on the go.

DAMNIT! (Edit) watching that Doom thing by DF and I got my answer in an indirect manner and even more infuriating I'm out my $10 it appears too.  14 Minutes into the piece they talk about Doom 3 BFG on the actual Tegra backed Shield tablet I have and they had it in the past, but due to time/space they erased it.  When they went looking for it, the game even if you paid for it, it's erased, delisted even for buyers.  Bethesda I guess felt people need to buy it again as it has been a few years and with my tablet being broken and replaced I'm out yet another game.  And people wonder why I drone on about how digital is shitty because it's a rental and not a buy, yet another piece of evidence for the pile of complaints.  Grrrrr.... >:[

Edited by Tanooki
  • Like 2

What i have found is that if you are patient enough; carts still tend to drop for most Switch games you would want.  There are 3-4 companies doing limited run releases these days and the quality stuff usually gets snapped up by someone for release.  That being said...this is Bethesda so who knows if they want to do it themselves; let someone else; or no.