IGNORED

DRM censorship in Risky Rick CV thread

MegaManFan

Can we have an open and frank discussion about why an unnamed mod redacted a link to Kevtris' blog about the game breaking DRM in the Risky Rick cart? Before AtariAge goes down the road of censorship I think the users (and chiefly myself) deserve an honest answer.

Thread with censored link -

Edited by MegaManFan
thread in question

Just now, Albert said:

I've restored the link, someone had asked us to remove it, and when I saw the message I thought someone had posted ROMs of the game here.  Which doesn't seem to be the case.  I restored the link to Kevtris' blog in the relevant posts.

..Al

Thank you Al. #thumbsup

17 minutes ago, Albert said:

I've restored the link, someone had asked us to remove it, and when I saw the message I thought someone had posted ROMs of the game here.  Which doesn't seem to be the case.  I restored the link to Kevtris' blog in the relevant posts.

..Al

I suspect whomever requested it to be removed, did so because while Kevtris doesn't have the rom listed, he does go into detail on what is needed to dump it and modify the code to make it work on flashcarts and other CV clone FPGA/emulator systems.

I played a small part in assisting with this as my CV still has issues loading this game even with the Pin 13 fix in place. In fact, it used to load up about half the time I powered on the system prior to this fix and actually is more problematic now that I have fixed the pin 13 issue. Once it was all found out what was taking place, it would seem that that RAM check described as the 3rd DRM in his blog post is what I'm having the most trouble with. Because it takes a lot of resets/power cycling of my CV to get the actual cart to load up at all now. Once it does load up, it plays just fine after that. Still it is a real hassle when I want to play this game as intended.

Also on my CV, the game refused to give anything but a black screen or vertical color stripes when I had the No-Delay bios installed. I've now got the original CV bios back in place as that is the only way I've managed to get the game to load up at all at this point.

• Like 1