IGNORED

GameBoy remakes on Switch

Pixelboy

I don't know about you, but I think remaking Link's Awakening on the Switch with modern colorful visuals is a great idea.

With this idea in mind, let me submit this question: If you could pick only one Game Boy game which you'd like to see remade on the Switch in a similar fashion to Link's Awakening, which game would it be?  :)

My pick would be Gargoyle's Quest. The graphics and music were already top-notch on the Game Boy, but they could be so much richer on the Switch, and they could even make the game world a little bigger, because the original was rather short (and was made seemingly longer by slowing the game down).

• Like 1

I suppose you know it may be fair to mention but Final Fantasy Adventure was straight up ported in that collection, but in iOS/Android you can get that 3D copycat of it too which kind of fits with the Switch concept and it was received pretty well.  I would have voted on that one if it wasn't already a thing.  Gargoyle's Quest I would have fallen back on because it's excellent (as was the sequel on NES) but you got it.

I'd kind of want to throw Super Mario Land 2, but that's kind of an over obvious choice, as much as Kirby's Dream Land 2 would be too or even the 2nd Metroid and Kid Icarus titles as 1st party is kind of an easy to understand cop out.

Perhaps something like Castlevania II Belmont's Revenge or Gradius the Interstellar Assault would be excellent.  They're not blended NES stuff like Capcom leaned on, but they are relatable franchise titles yet set a pretty high bar for gameplay, audio, and visuals.  Translating those gems to the Switch style format I think would be excellent.  If Square were willing I'd love to see a proper release of the SaGa 1-3 franchise not re-branded at FF Legend (and removing those god awful breakable limited turn weapons of the first two.)

?

8 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Perhaps something like Castlevania II Belmont's Revenge or Gradius the Interstellar Assault would be excellent.

There was Castlevania Adventure Rebirth, which was advertised as a remake of the GameBoy's Castlevania Adventure, but aside from a few recognizable elements like the fireball whip and the big rolling eyeballs, I don't see the connection. It's a great game, but it's completely different from the Game Boy game. If you're going to do such a remake, it should be recognizable when compared to the original. Metroid Samus Returns on the 3DS is also quite different from Metroid II, but it's recognizable to a sufficient degree.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd love the Mario land and wario games. I'm on the fence about links awakening. It's definitely my favorite of the Zelda series, but I have the gb, and gb color versions, and at $60, for a 25+ year old game, even with updates, seems a bit excessive. Do I really want it badly enough to pay that for it? I got Pokemon r/b/y but to be honest, after that I'm not so sure "updating" a classic is a good idea.

Ever think it's not meant for you directly?  You said it best, the game is over 25 years old, think how many new users have come around (and gone) since that never played it in either color or without.  If you hate the price, easy, don't buy it from Nintendo, go after market a month or two later and probably save $20.  Back on PS3 I thought the God of War games were too much full price since they're quite short, so I bought used copies instead. :P  Same thing with me waiting on 50+% off GoG sales on goodies.

We're going to be in for at least one copy of Link's Awakening for our son.  My sis had the game on the GB back when it came out- I played through it and beat it after she did (because, after all, it was HER game, lol).

I'm on the fence about it, but with a lot of these games like that I waited for my son to play through. a few of them i ended up buying another copy simply because he didn't want to let go of his for us to play it.  ;)

• 3 months later...

Well in the case of the old Castlevania games, the original was redone as a remaster which got out on the Wii, then the eshop came along and got that lost to the world other than a warez release (and same for the contra and gradius titles too.)  A huge flaw and issue with download only ware, it vanishes, then people forget about it conveniently.  That remaster, any of them, were great and would be a boon to pop back up on the Switch.

• Like 2

Somewhat off-topic, but the question of why Shadow Complex hasn't been re-released on the Switch crosses my mind regularly. There have been so many 2D and 2.5D Metroidvanias released on the Switch already, you'd think they'd get the lead out and dust off Shadow Complex. Heck, they re-released Jedi Knight II on the Switch recently, and they didn't bother modernizing the graphics all that much from the PC original.

• Like 1

Shadow Complex is by the same developer that made the Infinity Blade trilogy. Those games are not going to be updated or supported anymore, and it appears Epic is only looking forward, not backward. 

It seems ungenerous not to put any resources into their old games, now that Fortnite is printing millions of dollars a day. I guess that's how the rich stay rich. 

• Sad 1

Is saying 'Donkey Kong Land' cheating? I really want the original Donkey Kong Country trilogy to be faithfully remastered in HD, but those are SNES Games. Otherwise, it would be great to see Mario Land 1 and 2 get the HD treatment. If we can also say Gameboy Color games, I'd like to see a remake of Pokemon Crystal (Pokemon: Let's Go Suicune?), because the GBC Pokemon Games improved upon the GB ones in pretty much every way. If I were to really stetch the definition of "Game Boy" and include GBA Games, then I'd also want a remake, sequel, or spiritual successor to Kirby and the Amazing Mirror. Amazing Mirror was a Metroidvania game with local multiplayer, allowing four players to independently explore the world. GBA games couldn't do local multiplayer very well because of all the wires, so I'd love to see this idea be reimagined with online multiplayer.

The TMNT and Batman games were among my favorites but they can't be remade for obvious reasons... ^^'

Gargoyle's Quest would be a great candidate though. I beat the first level just once or twice back in the days, but beat the whole game on 3DS with constant savestates. -_- So they could make it a lot longer and a lot easier!

• Like 1

Some of my choices:

-I know Metroid II was redone for the 3DS, but they should port it without the weird gameplay mechanics to the Switch. Keep it simple! I'm talking Zero Mission-style. Hell, just port that game over while you're at it!

-Two of the three Castlevania games at least made it as part of the Castlevania Collection, but getting full-fledged remakes (maybe combine all three into a Rebirth-style game) would be cool.

-The TMNT games one the Game Boy were great as well, and one of them even had mild Metroidvania-style gameplay that would be ripe for a modern remake. 

-The Mario Land games are begging for this, especially Six Golden Coins. That game is amazing. Make it an "All Stars" collection.

-I also agree on Gargoyle's Quest. I mean, they tossed Demon's Crest on the SNES app on the Switch, so who knows!

-It's a GBC game, but the first Shantae should get a port. It's a fun little game, and the sequels are popular enough these days, so go for it!

• Like 2