IGNORED

Laser Keyboard for Atari 2600

Jesús98

[Download the files attached to this post, as they are the most recent]

Hi!

I am glad to present a new game developed by me. As I know is one of the few homebrew that uses the keyboard controllers, and in this case my game uses both!

The game is technically done, but if you find bugs, report them to me in this thread. Enjoy

Captura4.thumb.PNG.8db092a41edd93ceacd0cd87ef707da5.PNG

Plot:

Your country is under attack! 

Few hours ago a terrorist cell has been spotted on a border control on your country passing explosives without limits. Intelligence says that they will do a terrorist attack on the capital, and if you lose them, it will be impossible to track them again.

You are controlling a Laser Orbital Cannon and your aim is to kill as many terrorists as you can before they escape from your radar. Good luck

Your Laser Orbital Cannon control panel is a pair of keyboard controllers that has all the coordinates of the map. Press a key when you think that an enemy is in that coordinate: 

Captura1.thumb.PNG.c61b6d701b1fd1d028a7c2409acfbf2c.PNG

A screenshot of the game

Captura5.thumb.PNG.3361619348793c105ebbcbcaff1b0896.PNG

The keys on the keyboard controllers represent a quadrant on the screen 

You start with 4 lives, each live has a current status bar. You lose a portion of the status bar when a terrorist vehicle crosses the border.

When the status bar decreases to 0, you lose a live. When you lose all 4 lives, the game ends. 

Captura2.thumb.PNG.a154a7285f0699ee9fb7ade7b026662f.PNG

The screen when you lose all lives.

Captura3.thumb.PNG.bdc4778090c2ad5c0ad35d0f3b5e7848.PNG

The initial game screen

Make sure to plug both keyboard controllers in the console jacks before starting any game.

Press the reset button once you plug the keyboard controllers in order to start the game. 

Press any key from the left keyboard controller to start another game when you lose

Press the reset button on a started game to reset the current game.

There's an easter egg to find. Clue: you can find it in a similar way like in Drone Wars... :)

ROM FILES

PAL VERSION:

Laser_keyboardPAL60.bin

NTSC VERSION:

Laser_keyboardNTSC.bin

I highly recommend the use of real keyboards instead of using only the pc keyboard in stella for a better experience.

That's everything you need to start playing the game. Feel free to post your comments about this game!

Edited by Jesús98
  • Like 4

Really interesting concept and love that you chose the underused keyboard controllers! We'll be featuring it on ZeroPage Homebrew on this coming Wednesday's livestream.

Suggestions:

- It's really hard to tell where exactly on the screen the keyboard corresponds to. I think it would be great if there was a yellow/white zapping bolt of electricity in the corresponding area on the screen to show where you're blasting.

- I find the best strategy uses only one "middle" row(s) of the keyboard controllers. I just spam a whole row of keys in succession, being sure to not press two at a time, creating a very difficult to pass barrier for the enemies. It only works for first while until the enemies get too fast and then I have to be more selective with which buttons on that row I'm spamming. I don't really have a suggestion on how to fix this issue of me completely ignoring the top and bottom rows of the keyboard.

Looking forward to playing it on the show!

Edited by ZeroPage Homebrew
  • Thanks 1

The problem can be addressed with different scoring: The sooner you hit, the more points you get. And the game difficulty increases by time/enemies, not by score. So to reach a high score, you have to hit early using the top and bottom keyboard rows.

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We'll be featuring Laser Keyboard LIVE on tomorrow's (Wednesday) ZeroPage Homebrew stream on Twitch at 11AM PT | 2PM ET | 6PM GMT! Hope everyone can watch!

Twitch Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/zeropagehomebrew/

Games:
- Midspace (2019 WIP) by Chris Read aka atari2600land
- Laser Keyboard (2019 WIP) by Jesus Jimenez aka Jesús98
- Peril (2018 WIP Update) by Vladimir Zuñiga aka John Von Neumann aka Vhzc 

167186342_20190807-LetsPlay.thumb.jpg.3b65976f8f8562e2619c6a9aa1df02de.jpg

• Like 1