IGNORED

Atari Lynx game release at PRGE: On Duty

This game is participating in the Atari Lynx 30-years anniversary competition. So you can load and play it for free after 1st of September.

For people who want real carts for the Lynx there will be a boxed release at PRGE.

boite-jeu.thumb.png.7d39aac24af2052002e385e57143b964.png.dacf535a5e8a2e8fc86aefc392140cdd.png

2076165205_Screenshotfrom2019-08-0823-32-44.png.8c0f527953e653268ff197e84efdafdc.png1264091670_Screenshotfrom2019-08-0823-33-14.png.8825ea77bf29a721d476383dc4a89bc2.png

Yes. As it is a 30-year anniversary I was planning to part with them for $30.

My guess is that these will be at Mark/Space table. I had some discussions with Brian about this.

The number of boxes I can carry with me is limited of course. You can also play it on SD cart or using some emulators that can emulate eeprom correctly. There will be a link available on 1st of September (competition dead line).

The game is currently 380k and there is an eeprom on board.

There is a risk that I add a few extra missions after the competition. The competition time schedule is a bit tight so I squeeze in a short ending to the story. For the cart I would like to have the original ending that I planned to have there. So the game will likely eat all 512k that is available on the cart.

3 hours ago, TrekMD said:

That's cool.  It'll be nice to meet you at PRGE.

Meeting other Retro enthusiasts is really nice. I was at the Amiga 30 year party in Amsterdam and met all the cool old-timers and modern Lynx wizards.

So please come and say hi. That is me with the White Cow Lynx. It was a stormtrooper inspired Lynx but R.J. claimed that it is a cow Lynx. So who am I to argue with the Lynx hardware designer.

amsterdam_1.thumb.jpg.9a2fde93c06b806aeccc8d2ce863f09b.jpg

• Like 1

I just decided to get a small corner for myself at the expo. The venue was pretty much sold out but I got a small spot "in our Annex room (which is just across the lobby from the main vendor hall)". I reserved it under the name "White Lynx Productions".

I plan to present all games we have been doing for the last year and also a nice retro jukebox running on Raspberry Pi. (This is completely fake - but was fun to do. And it is frequently used at home.)  The disc changing and platter roll is done in OpenGL. (Still waiting for the monitor to go into the poster)

I hope the stand will be a nice place to talk about our beloved handheld and what kind of games you like to see in the future.

IMG_20190816_200002.thumb.jpg.f936153c980f538f598c32f184eff436.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Thanks for having your awesome game for sale at PRGE Karri! So glad I stopped by and was able to grab a copy of the game....I streamed it this past week to show off your game and loved what I played so far! Will need to go back and finish the game at some point but great job!

On Duty starts 23 minutes in:

Edited by BovineD
  • Like 2

• 3 years later...

ZeroPage Homebrew is playing On Duty on tomorrow's ZPH stream LIVE on Twitch, hope you can join us!

Games:

1326502852_20230523-LetsPlay.thumb.jpg.274ef28f98d0ab476bc0503330a67290.jpg

How nice! On Duty was my attempt to make a real game for the Lynx. All missions were designed by me and there was a hidden objective in the game. Unfortunately it did not get enough votes to be in the top three games so I kind of lost interest to code in everything I had planned.

But I hope people will still enjoy playing it. That is why it was released in binary format.

There is a long story about the background tune. I spent ages trying to create something unique. Can you find the hidden message in the soundtrack?

The first one who gets it right during the twitch stream will receive a boxed version of On Duty.

The weird thing is that I lost my luggage with all the boxed On Duty games I planned to sell at PRGE. Thanks to @KevinMos3 I got my stuff back on the last day and was able to sell a bunch of these games. Without Kevin the stuff would have been lost forever. It was not the airline who put the pieces together.

So I am still sitting with lots of boxes and manuals. Perhaps I finish the 2nd storyline if I get really bored some day. But not today. Today I am heading for my dance rehearsals for "His name is Lancelot, he likes to dance a lot, and wear tight pants a lot - its true"

SpamalotMusikanten.jpg

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, karri said:

How nice! On Duty was my attempt to make a real game for the Lynx. All missions were designed by me and there was a hidden objective in the game. Unfortunately it did not get enough votes to be in the top three games so I kind of lost interest to code in everything I had planned.

Thank you so much for making On Duty, looking forward to playing it today!

15 hours ago, karri said:

Today I am heading for my dance rehearsals for "His name is Lancelot, he likes to dance a lot, and wear tight pants a lot - its true"

That's so awesome, Eric Idle and the rest of the Pythons are/were legends! Just watched the advertisement you're in for the performance, break a leg! 🙂

- James

4 hours ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

Thank you so much for making On Duty, looking forward to playing it today!

That's so awesome, Eric Idle and the rest of the Pythons are/were legends! Just watched the advertisement you're in for the performance, break a leg! 🙂

- James

We just sent Eric Idle a set of tickets. They also sent us a nice video message. Hopefully I get to meet him this summer.

I have to look at the start of the On Duty play session later as I woke up about an hour into the show. You did get through the game - congrats!

• Thanks 1

That sounds amazing Karri!

The Pythons have been a huge part of my cultural upbringing. Hope you get to meet Eric in person!

Btw, I do enjoy playing On Duty. It has that Cannon Fodder vibe going for it, a bit more spy-oriented, and its one of a kind in the Lynx library. I would love to see more missions for it :)

Edited by Ninjabba
  • Thanks 1