IGNORED

PS2 Controller to Atari 2600/7800 Converter Adapter Prototype

Tronix

I designed a circuit that allows the use of a PS2 controller to be used on an ATARI 2600 or ATARI 7800 gaming console. 

What I would like to know is if there would be any interest for this being turned into real a product? Of course the actual size of the product would be much smaller and more manageable. 

Please see my demo on YouTube:

More info about me can be found here:

https://www.linkedin.com/in/afabrizi/

I

7 minutes ago, Tronix said:

I designed a circuit that allows the use of a PS2 controller to be used on an ATARI 2600 or ATARI 7800 gaming console. 

What I would like to know is if there would be any interest for this being turned into real a product? Of course the actual size of the product would be much smaller and more manageable. 

I know they've made these to use PS2 controllers on Amigas, Segas and Atari 2600's for some time now (one was even fully mappable), but I believe you had to use a Seagull 78 with one to get it to work on the 7800. I'll have to see the video to see if it can use the thumbstick or not.

17 minutes ago, Tronix said:

For the record this would require no modifications to the ATARI 2600 or 7800 consoles. It would just plug into the joystick port on the ATARI 2600 or 7800 console.

32 minutes ago, CPUWIZ said:

After watching the video, I was going to ask if you could use the dpad or thumbstick and if you could use both thumbsticks Robotron style. I think you lost interest before selling a batch, though. It was a pretty intense device, though. Not sure how similar this one is.

I achieved something similar with a rare, now unavailable adapter and a lot of fiddling for the a PS2 dual shock on the Atari 5200, but I don't think it had 10 configurations.

I don't think this one can do Robotron, but it can also emulate a trackball in mouse mode, in Deutsche, bitte! Again, it needs the Seagull78 adapter, also, for the 7800.

https://www.tradera.com/item/340858/356641336/2-st-playstation-ps1-ps2-adaptrar-till-commodore-64-amiga-atari-cd32-mfl-db9

Why is there 2 huge boxes and all that extra hardware for this adapter when all you need is a 12f629 and some caps\resistors? :? 

If you can make it WAY smaller and the price is right I might buy one.

EDIT: This topic is better suited in the hardware forum not the prototypes forum. By prototypes, it is assumed vintage prototypes not modern homebrew ones. :)

2 minutes ago, Shawn said:

Why is there 2 huge boxes and all that extra hardware for this adapter when all you need is a 12f629 and some caps\resistors? :? 

If you can make it WAY smaller and the price is right I might buy one.

This circuit is a prototype and is larger for ease of building. It will greatly shrink if I decide to move forward. Second, I employ ESD circuit protection. Third, I utilize proper logic voltage level shifting. Fourth, I generate the mixed logic voltages on the board. Fifth, I use a PIC microcontroller but not the one you list. I have spare pins for other features I plan to add. This is a properly engineered board and not a seat of the pants design. 

27 minutes ago, Tronix said:

For the record this would require no modifications to the ATARI 2600 or 7800 consoles. It would just plug into the joystick port on the ATARI 2600 or 7800 console.

8 minutes ago, Tronix said:

This circuit is a prototype and is larger for ease of building. It will greatly shrink if I decide to move forward. Second, I employ ESD circuit protection. Third, I utilize proper logic voltage level shifting. Fourth, I generate the mixed logic voltages on the board. Fifth, I use a PIC microcontroller but not the one you list. I have spare pins for other features I plan to add. This is a properly engineered board and not a seat of the pants design. 

If it can do dpad or thumbstick and do robotron with both thumbsticks, I'd be down for one.

Can't wait to see what features of my well designed "seat of the pants" adapter, are going to be magically implemented in this device. :ponder:

Level shifting?  That is not well designed, IMHO.

Viel Spass, kann garnicht warten, wieviel das kostet. :P

3 minutes ago, Swami said:

If it can do dpad or thumbstick and do robotron with both thumbsticks, I'd be down for one.

Thank You for the input. That is good and vital information. I currently have it configured so you can use the dpad or the left joystick. But this does not mean I cannot change to add the right joystick functionality. 

6 minutes ago, CPUWIZ said:

Can't wait to see what features of my well designed "seat of the pants" adapter, are going to be magically implemented in this device. :ponder:

Level shifting?  That is not well designed, IMHO.

Viel Spass, kann garnicht warten, wieviel das kostet. :P

Ich schätze den Input, aber ich habe über mein Design gesprochen, nicht über dein

20 minutes ago, Tronix said:

Ich schätze den Input, aber ich habe über mein Design gesprochen, nicht über dein

Wowzers. So you come along with a similar design of something a senior member of the AA community has already done years ago and now you're gonna start getting all uppity? What a nice way to introduce yourself to the forum. I'm sure you will last a long time around here coming in hot like that. Have fun with your giant boxes. I'm sure all your new friends you make on the forum will love to have them freighted to their homes.

Friend I do not know what you are talking about??? I asked the group for their opinion and I received some good feedback. What gives you the right to insult me? I was addressing another nice forum member trying to explain to him why the prototype was the way it was and some very good engineering went into it . Then you come along and start trouble.  ....Reality check in aisle #1.

5 minutes ago, Shawn said:

Wowzers. So you come along with a similar design of something a senior member of the AA community has already done years ago and now you're gonna start getting all uppity? What a nice way to introduce yourself to the forum. I'm sure you will last a long time around here coming in hot like that. Have fun with your giant boxes. I'm sure all your new friends you make on the forum will love to have them freighted to their homes.

Actually, that wasn't hot, it was German.  Which is always a bit hot, for other people. ;)

What he said is, that he is "guessing the input", as in "appreciating feedback", hard to translate.  All good, German's are hard to deal with. LOL

Just now, Tronix said:

Friend I do not know what you are talking about??? I asked the group for their opinion and I received some good feedback. What gives you the right to insult me? I was addressing another nice forum member trying to explain to him why the prototype was the way it was and some very good engineering went into it . Then you come along and start trouble.  ....Reality check in aisle #1.

Oh, yeah. And what was so friendly about "seat of the pants" design comments? You signed up to try and sell stuff to the forum and then got jumpy with an attitude. Try and recolor it however you like but I'm not buying it. Both figuratively and now also literally. 

1 minute ago, Shawn said:

Oh, yeah. And what was so friendly about "seat of the pants" design comments? You signed up to try and sell stuff to the forum and then got jumpy with an attitude. Try and recolor it however you like but I'm not buying it. Both figuratively and now also literally. 

All I was implying is that my design is not seat of the pants engineering. What is wrong with that?

2 minutes ago, Shawn said:

3 minutes ago, CPUWIZ said:

Actually, that wasn't hot, it was German.  Which is always a bit hot, for other people. ;)

What he said is, that he is "guessing the input", as in "appreciating feedback", hard to translate.  All good, German's are hard to deal with. LOL

Thank You. 

1 minute ago, CPUWIZ said:

Alles gut, Shawn ist ein sehr guter Freund, der hat das einfach nur falsch verstanden.  Und der hat immer meine Ruecken!  ;)

It is a very good thing to have friends back you up. Thank you again for providing clarity for me and the group.

Good night :)