IGNORED

Composite to hdmi converter recommendations

Dninja92

The RetroTink 2X is probably what most people would recommend. It's not as flexible or powerful as some other options like the OSSC and the out of production XRGB Mini, but it's a heck of a lot cheaper and is well received for the purposes it's designed for.

http://www.retrotink.com/

And what you're asking about just happens to be exactly what this is meant to do. It's built to take 240p/480i composite and s-video sources and bring them up to 480p through HDMI, which is a resolution most HDTV's can then competently handle the upscaling of. And it does this while not introducing a significant amount of input lag. 

Reading their website though, one flaw sticks out for PS2, Wii and original Xbox owners. It has component inputs, but it won't accept a 480p input despite outputting at 480p. So if one wants to use this to compensate for missing component inputs on a newer tv, you'll have to run your games all in 480i despite many progressive scan capable games on these systems.

And if one is going to invest in HD Retrovision component cables for systems like the PS1, Genesis, and SNES to use with this, it may be worth considering a higher end option like the OSSC since off the shelf RGB SCART cables for these systems are much cheaper than HD Retrovision cables.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Atariboy said:

The RetroTink 2X is probably what most people would recommend. It's not as flexible or powerful as some other options like the OSSC and the out of production XRGB Mini, but it's a heck of a lot cheaper and is well received for the purposes it's designed for.

http://www.retrotink.com/

And what you're asking about just happens to be exactly what this is meant to do. It's built to take 240p/480i composite and s-video sources and bring them up to 480p through HDMI, which is a resolution most HDTV's can then competently handle the upscaling of. And it does this while not introducing a significant amount of input lag. 

Reading their website though, one flaw sticks out for PS2, Wii and original Xbox owners. It has component inputs, but it won't accept a 480p input despite outputting at 480p. So if one wants to use this to compensate for missing component inputs on a newer tv, you'll have to run your games all in 480i despite many progressive scan capable games on these systems.

And if one is going to invest in HD Retrovision component cables for systems like the PS1, Genesis, and SNES to use with this, it may be worth considering a higher end option like the OSSC since off the shelf RGB SCART cables for these systems are much cheaper than HD Retrovision cables.

+1 for RetroTINK 2x. Love mine and it does the task exactly as needed.