IGNORED

I Want to Learn How to Make Homebrew Games. Where Should I Start?

Magmavision2000

I want to start getting into the Programming community but I have some questions. Like "What programming language should I Look into?" and "are there any programs that make development on projects easier (e.g. BatariBASIC)?". I have little to no programming knowledge (the most I've done is write a very basic calculator in " BASIC256"), so beginning to learn any programming language will be difficult.

Do you guys and gals on AtariAge have any tips? 

Start with BASIC - I've also started programming on a calculator.

There are probably a lot of good books for learning BASIC, but I don't know any in English. Then, you should choose a system with simple graphics that can be programmed in BASIC easily like Atari 2600 indeed, or Intellivision for instance.

• Thanks 1

First ask yourself which system(s) you eventually want to target. While some of them might be too difficult to tackle right away, chances are you'll be more motivated if you're learning a language - and an environment - on a system you want to work with. I assume by homebrew games you are looking at the retro systems mainly covered by this forum, not indie games on newer formats. Each system tends to have its own variant of a programming language. While principles usually are the same - and what you possibly learned on the calculator could be carried over to some extent - the exact way to do things tend to differ which is yet another reason to not dive into a language or system only for learning purposes, and then find you'll have to relearn some stuff.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1