IGNORED

HRD 4000B

Ksarul

On 5/23/2020 at 2:48 AM, Ksarul said:

Four of the first six completed boards are already spoken for. I'm busy assembling eight more now. Answer here if you are still interested in purchasing one of the boards. The price is $185 plus $15 for a flat rate box to US addresses (somewhat more for postage to the rest of the world). The box can hold two assembled cards safely for those looking to purchase more than one card.

Bare boards are still $30 each, and include one 74HCT154 and six D7K diodes. One note on the diodes--check them with a meter so you are sure which end is which, as the truth is a bit counter-intuitive. The double white lines equate to the marked end of a US diode. . .not the single red line.

I would like one if they are not already all spoken for, otherwise will have to wait! Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Started the soldering work on my board today.  According to the construction guide C17 & C25 are .1uF capacitors, but the silkscreen on the board indicates 10uF tantalum capacitors.  I assume the silkscreen is correct and the draft guide is not up to date.  Can I get a verification on this, please?

17 hours ago, klrw111-78 said:

Started the soldering work on my board today.  According to the construction guide C17 & C25 are .1uF capacitors, but the silkscreen on the board indicates 10uF tantalum capacitors.  I assume the silkscreen is correct and the draft guide is not up to date.  Can I get a verification on this, please?

The silkscreen is correct--and there are three changed capacitors, not two. C-10 is also 10uF. I'm pretty sure I corrected that bit in the final version of the manual, but I will look again to be sure. Note, that C-10, C-17, and C-25 are ceramics, not tantalums. There are three 10uF tantalum caps on the board, but they are C-1, C-2, and C-3.

The silkscreen is correct--and there are three changed capacitors, not two. C-10 is also 10uF. I'm pretty sure I corrected that bit in the final version of the manual, but I will look again to be sure.

Thanks. Thought I downloaded the latest guide in this thread.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/10/2020 at 9:45 PM, Ksarul said:

I'm attaching the final version (along with the schematics) here. Hopefully that helps you and others building their own boards.

HRD 4000B Construction Guide (Final-2).pdf 4.53 MB · 28 downloads A3-Horizon 4000B RAMDisk Schematics (Final-1).pdf 300.3 kB · 23 downloads

Thanks to your construction guide and schematics, I managed to assemble a working board without any rework. 

• Like 2

If you guys ever do a Rev C of this device, I found an interesting paper (Done by a TI engineer, no less!) concerning using NiMH cells in place of a LiON cell.

https://www.ti.com/lit/an/slyt468/slyt468.pdf?ts=1592939777738&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F

That would let you drop in some inexpensive COTS rechargeable AA batteries, instead of the more expensive LiON cell it was specc'd with.

5 hours ago, wierd_w said:

If you guys ever do a Rev C of this device, I found an interesting paper (Done by a TI engineer, no less!) concerning using NiMH cells in place of a LiON cell.

https://www.ti.com/lit/an/slyt468/slyt468.pdf?ts=1592939777738&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F

That would let you drop in some inexpensive COTS rechargeable AA batteries, instead of the more expensive LiON cell it was specc'd with.

Actually, this board will already work with Alkalines, LiON, NiCd, or NiMH. All are valid, configurable options. Alkalines and LiON disable the charge circuit to protect the batteries, while the other two use the charge circuit. No revision C necessary. :)

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Ksraul, what is the part number, and source of the can transistors you used. I like that look. I am about 2/3's of the way assembling both of mine, just need to mount the caps, led's, and transistors, and I have about half the support ic's, and will need to determine where I'm going to buy 512 sram, but getting there, late each evening.

31 minutes ago, acadiel said:

We might want to put a BOM together on Mouser or DigiKey if one doesn’t exist already.  Ksarul,  let me know if you need help.  

Jim has the components listed in his manual, but I'm wanting the specific can style transistors he used. I also buy components from Jameco and other locations, so a BOM with Mouser or Digikey would help, but not a complete solution for me.

I got the transistors off of eBay. They were NOS Motorola 2N2222As in a TO-18 case with gold leads, but there are a lot of sellers with these out there--some with and some without the gold leads. Here's a search link. I got mine for a good price when I was initially collecting parts for the HRD build-out. They came from two different US sellers, and I bought their entire (limited) stock, as I wanted to use some TO-18s in my boards (although I have also built a few boards with the more common, plastic cases, to verify functionality).

I didn't put a specific BOM-by-source into the manual on purpose, as available parts sources change somewhat quickly--or make no sense based on the geographic location of the builder. It is also why I supply the D9K diodes and the 74HCT254s with the boards. They are both somewhat difficult to source in the right quantities for a single board build.

I'm definitely OK with someone posting a list of their sources for each part though, as that may be helpful (and if several builders find different sources for the same compatible parts, the consolidated parts list would be even more helpful). On compatible chips, I've even been acquiring some of the old Soviet chips equivalent to the more common versions we usually use to test those as well. I now have about half of the chips I need to build a whole board with mostly Soviet parts for the board logic. . .if I ever get the rest of the parts I need, I will definitely take a picture of that one.

• Like 2

On 7/28/2020 at 1:45 PM, Ksarul said:

I got the transistors off of eBay. They were NOS Motorola 2N2222As in a TO-18 case with gold leads, but there are a lot of sellers with these out there--some with and some without the gold leads. Here's a search link. I got mine for a good price when I was initially collecting parts for the HRD build-out. They came from two different US sellers, and I bought their entire (limited) stock, as I wanted to use some TO-18s in my boards (although I have also built a few boards with the more common, plastic cases, to verify functionality).

I didn't put a specific BOM-by-source into the manual on purpose, as available parts sources change somewhat quickly--or make no sense based on the geographic location of the builder. It is also why I supply the D9K diodes and the 74HCT254s with the boards. They are both somewhat difficult to source in the right quantities for a single board build.

I'm definitely OK with someone posting a list of their sources for each part though, as that may be helpful (and if several builders find different sources for the same compatible parts, the consolidated parts list would be even more helpful). On compatible chips, I've even been acquiring some of the old Soviet chips equivalent to the more common versions we usually use to test those as well. I now have about half of the chips I need to build a whole board with mostly Soviet parts for the board logic. . .if I ever get the rest of the parts I need, I will definitely take a picture of that one.

If you want to email me a manual, parts list and a high res pic of a finished board to me, I can get on Mouser and build a BOM.  I'll let you review it, and then if we're good, I'll replicate it on DigiKey and others can also replicate it on their favorite electronics site.

• 2 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, FALCOR4 said:

A software developers guide for the HRD4000B.  Special thanks to Ksarul, InsaneMultitasker, Retroclouds and BeeryMiller for their inputs.

Software Developers Guide to the Horizon HDR4000B_ver 1-0.pdf 2.39 MB · 4 downloads

Nicely done!  I’m so happy that you’re in the community now! ?

• Like 1

On 8/7/2020 at 4:40 PM, FALCOR4 said:

A software developers guide for the HRD4000B.  Special thanks to Ksarul, InsaneMultitasker, Retroclouds and BeeryMiller for their inputs.

Software Developers Guide to the Horizon HDR4000B_ver 1-0.pdf 2.39 MB · 21 downloads

Very nicely done. 3 cheers for details.

• Like 2

On 7/29/2020 at 5:50 PM, acadiel said:

If you want to email me a manual, parts list and a high res pic of a finished board to me, I can get on Mouser and build a BOM.  I'll let you review it, and then if we're good, I'll replicate it on DigiKey and others can also replicate it on their favorite electronics site.

This would be a great help, i need one place i can order all the parts to complete my 4000b

• Like 1

On 8/7/2020 at 12:40 PM, FALCOR4 said:

Software Developers Guide to the Horizon HDR4000B_ver 1-0.pdf 2.39 MB · 26 downloads

Well, tiddlywinks, there's a couple of nit things I didn't catch in the document.  Most notably, change the two references from "M32" in figure 5 to "U9".  The other nits are cosmetic.

For all of you who downloaded a copy of the guide, if you find something that you would like better explained or any errors please PM me and let me know.  Sometime down the road I'll send out corrections/changes in an errata sheet or subsequent version depending how much change is needed.  Thanks everyone for your support.

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, FALCOR4 said:

For all of you who downloaded a copy of the guide, if you find something that you would like better explained or any errors please IM me and let me know.  Sometime down the road I'll send out corrections/changes in an errata sheet or subsequent version depending how much change is needed.  Thanks everyone for your support.

Nice work!  FYI,  I have placed the Software Dev guide and the User Operating manual out on the Wiki.

https://github.com/horizonramdisk/Horizon-Ramdisk-ti994a

• Like 5