IGNORED

Interesting IC in this C-140 Super Pong

wildstar1063

Take a look at this integrated circuit that is in the Super Pong I purchased recently on eBay. The chip only has a small area in the center that is made of the regular black chip material, the rest of it seems to be some sort of thin phenolic board with gold contacts. I just thought it was kind of interesting. The game didn't work when I bought it, but it was just the normal burned out filter cap, I replaced it and the game seems to be working, at least I got sound out of it. I am installing one of those composite boards that I installed in my previous post, in the Super Pong I've had for 20 or 25 years. I've seen several pictures of C-140 Boards, but I've never seen one with the main game IC That looks like this. I wonder if it denotes an older or newer unit.

IMG_20190818_094324.jpg

Edited by wildstar1063

Another strange thing, I have looked at several sites that list the Atari pong chips and all list this model C010073-01/C2607 as being the chip in

the Atari Super Pong 10, and that the chip contains 10 games. But,As you can see above this chip is in a standard Super Pong with four games.

I wonder if they used these chips in overlap production between the four-game Super Pong and the 10 game one, or if they just weren't very consistent in labeling their in-house ICs. I can't seem to find a picture of the motherboard for the 10 game Super Pong, to compare the chips model numbers and number of pins

Edited by wildstar1063

3 hours ago, TheProgrammerIncarnate said:

Interesting observation! Perhaps one of the pins on the 10 game chip served to downgrade it to a regular Super Pong chip. So they could sell Super Pong & Super Pong 10 systems with the one chip once it came out.

It would be interesting to get the pin outs For the Four-game Super Pong and the Super Pong 10 IC's and compare them.