IGNORED

Popeye hack.... whaaat again ?

TIX

1 hour ago, _The Doctor__ said:

I always wanted both of them in the same flick or comic and name the thing 'Double Trouble for Popeye!'      perhaps there's a game in that?

Perhaps TIX could make a new version of Bruce Lee and replace Bruce with Popeye and Yamo and Ninja with Bluto and Brutus ? ?

• Like 1

image.jpeg.a177e5f88ef497a42476f28dc99f0cbf.jpeg

Bruto and Brutus together in the comic strip... they are twin brothers one more fit than the other... :)

don't forget there was also Alice the Goon from the land of the goons, The Sea Hag (she's the bottle thrower), and for the kid's Jeep came along...

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, _The Doctor__ said:

image.jpeg.a177e5f88ef497a42476f28dc99f0cbf.jpeg

Bruto and Brutus together in the comic strip... they are twin brothers one more fit than the other... :)

don't forget there was also Alice the Goon from the land of the goons, The Sea Hag (she's the bottle thrower), and for the kid's Jeep came along...

I guess I was just ignorant of the Brutus character. I never read the comics, or comic strips, and all I ever watched as a kid was the older classic cartoons on TV from the 30's/40's/50's or so era, the stuff that was first released as pre-shows to the main movie like they did way back when before televisions were in our homes. By the time newer versions of Popeye where out I guess I was just too old and was doing other things rather than watching Saturday/Sunday morning cartoons that were the standard when I was a kid. I did see the Robin Williams movie years ago, I think I even have it on CED and/or Laserdisc (currently in storage so I don't know for sure), but it's been years and I don't recall if it was Bluto or Brutus character they used. But as to there being two of them, and they being brothers is all news to me. But then that's why I asked where the name Brutus was coming from! So thanks to you and the others who have told me.

The cartoons I grew up watching, in the early 70s, used Brutus, sea hag,  jeep.  I started noticing years later that Bluto was being used. I used to think Brutus was the origi al character, wrongly based on my experience.  The Nintendo Popeye ad called him Brutusk, in Popeye-eese. I always liked the cartoons and the game, and I enjoy these various graphical revisions.  

• Like 1

I have left aside the sprites that are almost ready, to mess with the playfield graphics,

Almost everything has been redrawn or retouched

1834078031_livesleft.JPG.ed940c564995cb87329a1a4860a679bc.JPG new lives left

moon.JPG.fa7ea8e3459797f3f89f423b701c933c.JPG retouched moon

sign.JPG.accd1868ff5de90fcea35201bf45bccf.JPG pointier :P sign

spinach.JPG.3e1271f3cccdf176539cf3d3b33d5772.JPG new spinach can

sweapee.JPG.0369abd4e6ce5994893f4d9188841a02.JPG new Swea'pee

wimpy.JPG.5e7429f60ed6d034947b0803d49afe80.JPG new Wimpy

1281153895_punchbottle.JPG.bd8ca578e366a9b62d6c2eab33dcc004.JPG new punch + bottle,  on level 2 the bottle graphic is separate, so I can make it something else.. maybe a skull !

• Like 11

Hey guys,

here is release candidate 1

image.png.9dfc2ed9c91d7ae51942d81faa692c4d.png

Popeye Hack (RC1).xex

done:

• new shorter and bouncy Popeye,
  • new bulkier and menacing Brutus
  • new thin as a coat hunger Olive
  • new bottle/spinach/Swea'pee/Wimpy
  • various little tweaks here and there

to do:

• Still not 100% satisfied with Popeye's walk.. but I believe the ultra fast speed of the animation has something to do with it.
  • Still trying to find the bottle for level 2
  • Brutus staying 1 pixel higher from the ground drives me crazy ! (problem of the original game)

• Like 10

My observations from playing RC1 a bit:

The game pays very well, and the work done with Brutus, Sweet pea, the bottles, etc are nicely done :)

1 . The Player count Popeye head looked a little dark on my display.  Not sure if others found the same.

2. Popeye looks great but I was wondering if there is a technical limitation that caused the punch to be in monochrome?

2.  I would have to agree Olive Oil would benefit from some adjustments to make her more like recognizable.  

Due to limitations in the graphical resolution, those adjustments may come at the cost of rendering her rail thin. 

Sadly I do not thing we can get a great rendering at 160x192.

Edited by Paul Daniel
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Paul Daniel said:

My observations from playing RC1 a bit:

The game pays very well, and the work done with Brutus, Sweet pea, the bottles, etc are nicely done :)

1 . The Player count Popeye head looked a little dark on my display.  Not sure if others found the same.

2. Popeye looks great but I was wondering if there is a technical limitation that caused the punch to be in monochrome?

2.  I would have to agree Olive Oil would benefit from some adjustments to make her more like recognizable.  

Due to limitations in the graphical resolution, those adjustments may come at the cost of rendering her rail thin. 

Sadly I do not thing we can get a great rendering at 160x192.

1. Yes red is very dark.. the only other option is yellow, and I wanted him to be different from the rest of the letters..
  2. Yes there is a limitation, the other option is to have him as a double wide sprite, that would make him look something like this ->image.png.b589da5eedc4818591394ae453b0bf9c.png
  3. I expected the problem with Olive, so I have ready a more "from the side" approach !
Edited by TIX
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, TIX said:
  1. Yes red is very dark.. the only other option is yellow, and I wanted him to be different from the rest of the letters..
  2. Yes there is a limitation, the other option is to have him as a double wide sprite, that would make him look something like this ->image.png.b589da5eedc4818591394ae453b0bf9c.png
  3. I expected the problem with Olive, so I have ready a more "from the side" approach !

1.  I think the darkness is a minor thing overall, as having the Popeye head there is preferable to the 'P' I believe was there before.

2.  The double-wide sprite may be the alternative if enhanced a bit, as it does feel odd when playing to see Popeye go monochrome when punching. 

3.  Looking forward to seeing the new side-view Olive :)

Thanks again for your work on this.  The game is so much nicer now than it looked before!

Edited by Paul Daniel

Great work TIX!  Popeye looks amazing.  Love the little touches like the bounce in his gait.  I think Brutus is excellent.  You've got the proportions just right which was hard to do.

I would vote for the double-wide sprite just to see how it works as compared to the monochrome.  The sudden change to monochrome is a little jarring during gameplay.

Top-notch design as always.  I know you put a lot of work into the art so thanks very much.  I love following these threads and watching the progression from start to finish.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TheNameOfTheGame said:

Great work TIX!  Popeye looks amazing.  Love the little touches like the bounce in his gait.  I think Brutus is excellent.  You've got the proportions just right which was hard to do.

I would vote for the double-wide sprite just to see how it works as compared to the monochrome.  The sudden change to monochrome is a little jarring during gameplay.

Top-notch design as always.  I know you put a lot of work into the art so thanks very much.  I love following these threads and watching the progression from start to finish.

Thanks a lot man ;-)

17 hours ago, TIX said:

2) Just out of curiosity, why is there a limit to monochrome when he punches?

2 hours ago, Zap! said:

2) Just out of curiosity, why is there a limit to monochrome when he punches?

The limitation is in the Atari's hardware sprites (player-missile graphics).  An Atari sprite is 8 pixels wide and a single color.   To make multicolored Popeye, the game overlays two sprites to provide 3 colors plus background.    The Popeye "punch" graphic is wider than 8 pixels, so to fit the larger graphic the second sprite is placed next to the first, rather than overlaid.  So in that configuration only a single color is available.  The second sprite has to be repurposed because the other hardware sprites are already in use (mainly for Brutus).

Edited by FifthPlayer
clarity
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1