IGNORED

Stadia pre-order is live

cimerians

https://store.google.com/product/stadia_founders_edition?utm_source=hpp&utm_medium=google_oo&utm_campaign=GS102951&utm_content=hpp2

Bloody hell, I really want to try this out. Every fiber of my being is against this but the feeling of wanting to sign up for the founders pack is tempting. I wonder how much data you'll be pulling in at 4k for 30 hours a month? LOL  (Caps!)

• Haha 1

I am looking forward to Stadia, I am hoping to use it to fill my modern game needs.  I have no plans to buy any PS4 or PS5 or any Xbox anything from now on.

For me at least I hope to use:

Stadia for modern games

Steam for retro PC point and clicks and niche

Amico for modern retro

Omni/SGM2 for retro / modern sprite games and true arcade gaming

Switch for the few online games I play with friends (Splatoon & Animal Crossing)

• Like 2

I know a fair number of people who will adopt anything with Google's name on it.  Google actually has a brand loyalty that rivals Apple, it's just not meme-able to the same degree.  I'm sure a lot of the initial Stadia buys will be those people.  

After that, I can't imagine this thing moving.  It costs way too much and offers far too little relative to options that already exist.

• Like 2

Honestly I won't touch it, it's just giving up far too much to get nothing but lazy ease in return.  Given how apple is they're already in a walled garden but it's my phone so I walk a line there, but if I'm going to do the downloading game thing, it's going to be a mix of GoG/freely distributed by authors goodies on PC, and then Android since it can allow for side loading.  Side loading is huge to me because licenses get pulled and stupid stuff happens (TMNT, Scott Pilgrim, etc.)

• Like 1

I don't usually go for pre-ordering, but Eli Hodapp (formerly at Touch Arcade, now with GameClub) made an excellent point -- this service is going to have such a screwed-up launch, and it's going to struggle to find its audience and the right price, that the early adopters are likely to get a lot of extra freebies as apologies/thanks. Like the "Ambassador Program" for the 3DS. There's no way to know for sure, but I suspect he's right. 

I have too many toys as it is so I'll just sit back and see how it plays out. I was in the beta where they gave away access to the latest Assassin's Creed, but was too busy to play. When I finally got around to it, the beta period had been over for a few weeks. I'd just as soon buy my games and play them when I want rather than pay for a streaming subscription. If they come out with a better deal, I'll consider it. I don't feel any hangups about how this works. 

@cimerians OnLive, which this resembles, used about 1GB/hour at 720p. Usage caps on landline internet are stupid and I hope this service helps to make them go away. I'm grateful for my uncapped, speedy Verizon Fios line and it's a crime that they stopped expanding their home fiber network. 

• Like 2

Yeah I've no interest in this at all. I just upgraded my PC and while I'm not on the highest package my ISP offers I still pay nearly $100 a month for internet and that still caps me at 1tb per month. While the most I've ever used was about 550gb in a single month timeframe, I can easily see me exceeding 1TB using a service like this and that is an additional expense I'm not going to pay for. My ISP does offer unlimited but I've not looked into how much that would cost as I'm sure it is more than I can justify. I really can't justify the $100 a month I'm paying now but to keep what I've had for nearly 20 years, I've not much of a choice.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, -^Cro§Bow^- said:

Yeah I've no interest in this at all. I just upgraded my PC and while I'm not on the highest package my ISP offers I still pay nearly $100 a month for internet and that still caps me at 1tb per month. While the most I've ever used was about 550gb in a single month timeframe, I can easily see me exceeding 1TB using a service like this and that is an additional expense I'm not going to pay for. My ISP does offer unlimited but I've not looked into how much that would cost as I'm sure it is more than I can justify. I really can't justify the $100 a month I'm paying now but to keep what I've had for nearly 20 years, I've not much of a choice.

We're in the same boat with our ISP here- not highest package, 1tb data cap.  no other choice, either.

49 minutes ago, digdugnate said:

We're in the same boat with our ISP here- not highest package, 1tb data cap.  no other choice, either.

There are other choices, but none that provide near the speeds or reliability that my current ISP has provided over the past 2 decades. The other options where I live are U-Verse and Windstream. Windstream seems to have ISP outtages in our town nearly once a week and U-Verse just can't keep up with the speed offerings. That is why COX basically rules the roost in these neck of the woods. Nearly all businesses use COX as their primary with their network equipment set to failover to AT&T when the COX side should fail. Beyond that...they go with 3G over the air via Verizon I think?

1TB usage cap per day would be plenty fair.

1TB usage cap per MONTH? Uggghhhh. Sorry. 

Assuming a 30mbps line speed (I assume Stadia minimum quality would need around that much), 1TB would be reached with a bit over 3 days of saturated use of the line. 

Do better, internet service providers. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

1TB usage cap per day would be plenty fair.

1TB usage cap per MONTH? Uggghhhh. Sorry. 

Assuming a 30mbps line speed (I assume Stadia minimum quality would need around that much), 1TB would be reached with a bit over 3 days of saturated use of the line. 

Do better, internet service providers. 

Exactly... and yes it is 1TB per month is my data cap. What is really annoying is that the plan I'm on (Called Premier) didn't have any data caps about 5 years back. It was unlimited and my upload was about 25Mbps. My upload was only 50Mbps but it ran me about $40 - $45 per month back then. 

Now, that same package costs me $95 - $100 per month, has the 1TB data cap, only 10Mbps upload, but I do get a 250Mbps download now. Cheaper packages exist but the next tier down drops the data cap to only 500gb per month and then 300gb or it might be 250gb. That would still run about $40+ a month and just not worth it.

I do think that these streaming gaming services are a good option for casual players...but note I said CASUAL. I just can't see hardcore gamers using this when they most likely want the no lag, play anytime, for as long as they want and will likely have mid-range and up class gaming PCs already.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Microsoft is supposed to have their cloud gaming setup running in the beginning of Q1. It will have the same fundamental problems (latency mostly) but it sounds like it will be better executed.

For starters, you'll be able to play stuff you already bought, and I presume cross play will be implemented. 

It's probably not for me (more ways to play is NOT something I need), but it would be nice to see cloud gaming done well for those who want it. 

• 2 weeks later...

So far it's a complete disaster in my opinion. A friend of mine got it here and all he says is it's jerky/pixelated as hell. INTENSE lag on some days. Other days it's perfectly normal and he's tried everything Wi-Fi, Direct connections etc. In two weeks his data doubled! Non 4k!

Edited by cimerians
  • Sad 1