IGNORED

Ynxa - a new platformer for the Lynx

Fadest

Ok, I will think about it.

Or rather, I will ask my boss (*) if I can afford to think about it :D

But don't expect a versatile tool, it will a collection of tool be make a platformer with no extra code customization and no pretty IHM.

I could quite easily turn it into a top/down creation tool by removing gravity and changing control scheme, and maybe add an auto-scroll feature, but this will not be soon.

(*) Yes, being my own boss, this is kind of schizophrenia between the crazy developper that want to do new stuff, and the responsible me that want to see ongoing stuff completed and on sale.

• Like 1

That still sounds awesome. As someone who eventually expects to pivot back to Lynx C coding instead of pure assembly (Quadromania, Centipede, Ultravore, etc. are all assembly), I would love to have a platformer engine for the Lynx. Would really like to develop a strong story-based game like Flashback someday!

Just a sidenote, if this happen, it would be a 0% programmation tool (neither in ASM, C, LUA, Basic or Cobol), so of course very limited.

Right now, it can create puzzle/platform, a bit like Ynxa, with even more limitations than Ynxa (only 1 personnage, no progression, ...)

But I guess talented graphists and level designers could do something nice.

I mean better than this :

image.thumb.png.9c12a77f63d22fc761147b80cf6e0548.png

I hope, it will depends on beta test phase.

If no one is interested, there is no need to go further.

If too much interest and contradictory requests for evolution, it may become a never-finished tool.

Looking for beta-testers : want to create puzzle-platformer games (like Ynxa) with no code on Lynx ? - Atari Lynx - AtariAge Forums

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

A lot of discussion happened in the overall Yastuna Games thread, but for those new to this game:

You can buy it here along with many of Fadest’s other games: https://yastuna-games.com/en/atari-lynx/33-ynxa.html

A3A677FE-D8DA-43BA-B212-AF0A0C65915A.thumb.jpeg.8717b59dcd8a194f8298b549cc101aee.jpeg

The game has evolved a great deal from the contest version.

C38B4E24-E1F5-4762-8ED5-D95EB82A9934.thumb.jpeg.864c9343aa375bb59fc68afe5fa04cfd.jpeg

There is an amazing Deluxe Edition that really lives up to the name:

5156B13D-0F75-4BB7-977C-07652FAC911A.thumb.jpeg.da48175a37c5f0be9c8e8f6498f43816.jpeg

There is more discussion on the contest thread.

• Like 2

Here’s what I’ve done so far:

0FA0764A-A4F1-4E36-856B-95AB18DE94BD.thumb.jpeg.109a636cc60eb1f6ca2076644a3458c6.jpeg

Does this look like the right number of gems for these levels? Do you get any upgrades after the first ones or are the rest just for completism’s sake?

48A4AF3B-5A2B-47D9-8377-91D3623977F1.thumb.jpeg.7f2d377cd7964db1f05650fdffbedb28.jpeg

So I am stuck on the second red gem on the Path of Wisdom. (I never did figure out the trick to the first two rooms, but brute forcing it is easy enough.)

I just can’t seem to create a path for myself to escape after I get the second gem. None of the switches seem to do anything, and it feels like even the block that lets you return from the bottom route reacts to different switches in different attempts. Plus there is the one switch that moves around…

I assume that

Spoiler

the rooms at the top of the second room are the key to the order of the switches in the third area with the gems

, but I can’t seem to make them work if they are.

So yes, once you unleashed all powers in the 3 forms, gems are only for 100%.

There is of course a logical solution to each level in path of wisdom.

Warning, the spoiler is a real spoiler, and also give general clue about other levels...

Spoiler

The thing is that you usually have 6 exits, 5 leads to lava, 1 is the good one, but it is randomised so change everytime. Of course, luck or brute force can be the solution.

As the Map pack and clue says, follow the monkey...

But there is a safe solution each time : find somewhere a pattern where a monkey bloc tells you which exit is the good one.

NoteIt is really often that I use the Monkey block to give clue

But there is no such behaviour in the gem level of Path of Wisdom. It is just a puzzle level.

There are 6 switches under the 2nd gem, you must activate all of them (in fact, 1 is useless, and 1 move the unreachable one in a more convenient place so you can use it). This will create a pit to escape once you get the second gem or that lead to the gem, depending on the way you use (just be careful to destroy boxes  near the stair, over the gem).

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Nice youtube review by Obscure Game & Console

Note that he played the game via Argon Emulator, as the full game is still available for free on Argon until the end of february.

And of course, the game is still available on physical via the website, in Regular and Deluxe Editions.

Ynxa on yastuna-games.com

• Like 2

Finally got back to where I was stuck (on the two fire crystals with the switches and the bugs), and this time effortlessly got unstuck. I wonder if I triggered a bug on previous attempts… or was I just getting them out of order? Hmmm.

I also found a random leaf crystal I had somehow missed before.

E599601D-34E9-42E6-8E2D-B771A2CDD982.thumb.jpeg.5f10517c8764ce0d96476ad83e45dbbc.jpeg

Completed the Path of Nihilism, which was more fun than a barrel of monkeys…

1FFD4F5A-209D-4324-835A-B7DDF46FA10D.thumb.jpeg.2f7a5dc958726ca345e48e25b04a0fd3.jpeg

What does the first word say?

451E1906-B28E-4159-AD4B-8C7A1A382AD2.jpeg

Path of Nihilism is not supposed to be very complex. It is just a succession of doors to let you understand the trick for the final enigma of the path. In the other case (try and retry, it can be a bit tedious...)

The 1st word is Nothing, but it seems the monkeys stole the h :(

• Haha 2

Impossible situations! Sorry these are terrible, my normal phone was in use at the time.

8BFBE0B2-E5DC-4182-B56B-06D8FFD0F093.thumb.jpeg.4d197f8efce66e21789e24a256236a29.jpeg

B4BB423E-3705-4C03-91A8-C3EFFA6C1B08.thumb.jpeg.60364a36d125a7ee95047d7ffc425ce1.jpeg

@Fadest, what are the symbols between the

Spoiler

YNXA

letters in the

Spoiler

Path of Serenity

? Are they meaningful?

I wonder if using the map would make it easier, but I want to finish it by my own lights first :D 

Here’s where I am now:

B6EC1EDB-6291-4305-AD18-F64DE7193222.thumb.jpeg.2cc5779ae4efa083d8c5c38340e7f562.jpegF8A05B03-93BB-41FF-B70D-25748470A56E.thumb.jpeg.be2b8e0722f1af21484ba28fda68232a.jpeg

It seems like a lot of gems I haven’t found yet, but does that seem about right? I think I’ve gotten every gem in each path…

EDIT: I can’t help myself.

36F07A5B-E705-4211-8552-0CD7C2066E69.thumb.jpeg.cc057e69f4060ff6fcc8d242e26fa4a5.jpeg9DBDBC6E-4DA7-452A-9D08-9C3C37C0EB10.thumb.jpeg.f7531ca035bb2a3dbf31285ed81caff0.jpeg

I’m getting the distinct feeing I missed a green gem.

I don't see 1st picture as an impossible situation, unless you can't go right and fall.

Second is obviously something I missed. It was so obvious during my tests (knowing what has to be done) the boxes has to be broken first, that I totally did not see this.

When this level was first designed, Water was not able to go outside a pit to the left of right if there was a block over him. So adding this feature gave many more design possibilities, but also many more nightmare for game design...

And seems like beta testers also. I am sorry about this. There are so much interactions like this, and tried to remove all of them...

5 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

what are the symbols between the

Hide contents

YNXA

letters in the

Hide contents

Path of Serenity

? Are they meaningful?

Yes, they are 

Spoiler

clues for the switches a the bottom of the level

About the gems, hard to tell if you are on the 100% path (which gives nothing more than the feeling of completing 100% of gem hunt). You probably forgot some bonus levels along the way. Maybe the one in the Fire Temple ?

Did you get the reward for completed the Path (in the Temple hub, behind the door you can not access until you complete all 8 Paths).

It rewards you with:

Spoiler

1 green

1 red

1 blue

In the Pyramid, you will be able to get:

Spoiler

3 green

3 red

2 blue

6 hours ago, Fadest said:

I don't see 1st picture as an impossible situation, unless you can't go right and fall.

Second is obviously something I missed. It was so obvious during my tests (knowing what has to be done) the boxes has to be broken first, that I totally did not see this.

The first is only impossible in that Water is on a ladder!

The second was actually how I figured out that

Spoiler

Water could go through diagonal gaps

so even though I had to restart it was a useful situation! It helped a ton on the Path of Discovery and the path of Reason. I wonder if I missed a bunch of stuff earlier because I didn’t know that?

Yes, they are

I thought they might be but I couldn’t figure out how! I ended up figuring it out through trial and error, haha.

About the gems, hard to tell if you are on the 100% path (which gives nothing more than the feeling of completing 100% of gem hunt). You probably forgot some bonus levels along the way. Maybe the one in the Fire Temple ?

Did you get the reward for completed the Path (in the Temple hub, behind the door you can not access until you complete all 8 Paths).

I am going for 100%, yes! I did get the bonus gems for the Path.

15 minutes ago, Fadest said:

No, it was in the Path of Idontrememberwhichone

I promise that if you find it, you will know it. It is not part of the story, there is no gem behind, just something I hope will make you smile...

Well, I smile a lot when playing it in between cursing when I die, but I will have a look! :D