IGNORED

Java mobile games to Atari lynx games (Theory)

Europatari

17 hours ago, Europatari said:

Did you know, that the Java Mobile Phone games can be converted to Atari lyny games or any other Sophisticaded handheld

it is just, because the Mobile Phone games contain a Java Source Code and any Java Programming master could reprogramm the Java game to a Fully fledged Atari Lynx game :)

*rotfl* YMMD

19 minutes ago, Europatari said:

no, i did not asked for a j2me Emulator on Lynx. i asked, if it is possible to reprogramm java games to lynx games, because the Jar files Contain the Java codes

You can't be serious or have no programming experience at all. .jar files contain byte code, no source. Anyway, neither would allow to run a Java game on the Lynx.

Java's kind of a beast.  The mobile edition released almost a decade after the Lynx.  I wouldn't expect the Lynx to have the horsepower/memory to run it.   I believe GCC  can compile Java source code to native code (GCJ),  but the question is has someone ported it to Lynx?   Is such a port even feasible.

Porting a game from java to Lynx (C code) take about twice the time than rewriting the code from scratch (at least to me). So IMHO if the point of he OP is to investigate if the availability of Java source could increase the average production of Homebrew for the Lynz, I say the answer is a No.

Initiatives like the Coding Competition of this year can do it.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Nop90 said:

Initiatives like the Coding Competition of this year can do it.

Tell me about it. I am so amazed at all the entries that popped up like mushrooms in autumn. And I am sooo happy that I do not have to be a judge in this competition. The entries are so different. It is like judging apples from oranges. There are many entries I want to complete. After this week-end when I send in my last fixes I hope to get a few evenings off to play the entries. Right now I am still struggling with completing YNXA. It has kind of a soft touch that I like a lot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On ‎9‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 12:32 PM, sage said:

Yes, true. And the Java virtual machine was release for Atari Lynx at April 1st 2011

No, You're mixing up security update release with the initial release. Somebody on the internet  is wrong on that one.

Here's the timeline:

February 30'11: Initial Release

April 1st`11 : Lynx Worm Security Update

If memory serves right, the security update was for the nTestinal Worm that executed an unprecedented attack on Lynx's digestive component 1.3. That made them very easy to track down.

On ‎9‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 8:53 AM, zzip said:

Java's kind of a beast.  The mobile edition released almost a decade after the Lynx.  I wouldn't expect the Lynx to have the horsepower/memory to run it.   I believe GCC  can compile Java source code to native code (GCJ),  but the question is has someone ported it to Lynx?   Is such a port even feasible.

Not necessarily. Can it really be that hard, at run-time, to do a mapping between : <JavaByteCommand> vs <JSR 6502_ASM_code> ? Certainly not. Especially if we're talking just about basic Java language(without any string/etc. libraries).

But, since carts on Lynx can be up to 1 MB, if somebody was determined (read:crazy) enough, he could certainly implement even all the string libraries, FileSystem, etc.

And then, at run-time, just copy those 6502 instructions from the cart to RAM, each time you process a new bytecode (e.g. a simple brute-force loop).

The above would become even more simple, if we were talking about a compiler, since you could simply create that compiler on your PC in the language of your choice (or, choose Java, for best irony) and IDE of your choice and have the luxury of running multiple passes over the code (etc.).

I'd argue that such 6502 Java cross-compiler could even produce a code that might rival CC65 in terms of execution speed (assuming the mental patient coding it would invest the time to make it as fast, and his boarding facility would procure sufficient coding breaks in between the electroshocks).

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, necrocia said:

What I want to see is one of these supposed Java games shared here, then we can all have a go an extracting its code and converting it to a Lynx game! ?

There is no code. The JAR files contain only byte code and data (sound, gfx). All one can do is to "get inspired" by the game play and GFX of these games.

11 minutes ago, 42bs said:

There is no code. The JAR files contain only byte code and data (sound, gfx). All one can do is to "get inspired" by the game play and GFX of these games.

No original code you're right, but it's all de-compilable. I work with Java every day for my job. The decompilers do an amazingly good job of reproducing the code. Still...that code would be useless you're right, I should have said more that the assets can be extracted (graphics, sound, etc).

The big obstacle for porting things to the Lynx is the limitations of screen resolution, number of colours, sound engine and RAM.

Technically I see no obstacle in cross compiling from one language to another. You create a lot of object trees in memory and let an optimizer reduce the presentation fit the target architecture. I have written automatic compilers that does large Occam programs to be translated to C++. It took a few years to do it.

But to create anything usable you need to downscale all graphics to almost nothing. Just converting them to a different resolution in Gimp produces complete crap. So you would need to invent an intelligent designer robot that would re-create the visuals and the sounds in no time.

The charm in programming for the Lynx is to be able to create something nice. It is a bit like solving a Sudoku. Of course I can program a Sudoku solver that does this faster and better than me. Perhaps that is why I am not interested in inventing the intelligent designer robot...

• Haha 1