IGNORED

Doom : Slayer Edition

Sporadic

3 hours ago, DEATH said:

Yes, it's true. You're absolutely right. 
You're right because, on one hand, SEGA community is much, much, much larger than on Jaguar, so logically there are more programmers with the ability and desire to do this.
And secondly, there are logically fewer assholes who do nothing but talk shit, are totally incompetent in programming, but who still come to open their mouths and end up disgusting those who were competent for this kind of project.

At least, that's what makes sense to me. No ? 
What do you think about that? 

I would be curious to see the Sega 32x community size vs the Jaguar one.  Seems to me the Jag sold a little bit better?  I could be completely off-base there.  The 32x was the bastard step-child of Sega, and got very little love, and outward hatred from Sega of Japan.  It still had quite a few great games on it... oh wait, I can really only think of Star Wars Arcade being good...

From my understanding, there are likely just as many assholes in that community though.  😜

I kind of think the assholes in the Jag community are just a little more special though.  Haha!

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, leech said:

I would be curious to see the Sega 32x community size vs the Jaguar one.  Seems to me the Jag sold a little bit better?  I could be completely off-base there.  The 32x was the bastard step-child of Sega, and got very little love, and outward hatred from Sega of Japan.  It still had quite a few great games on it... oh wait, I can really only think of Star Wars Arcade being good...

There are significantly less projects for the 32X, despite the 32X ironically selling better than the Jaguar back in the day, but that isn't really saying much.

DOOM 32X resurrection is amazing, particularly in its current form, but it's also a very different project. It was built completely from the ground up and is not a modification of the actual 32X cart released back in the day. Anyone with access to a 32X, software emulation, or a MiSTer, should absolutely try it.

I am looking forward to the Jaguar's Slayer Edition, but I also respect that the folks working on it have lives, families, jobs, and other hobbies. It'll come when it does. And if it doesn't, I don't blame them. There are dozens if not more ways to play classic DOOM these days. People making snarky comments and turning the various aftermarket console versions of the games into a pissing contest, are self-entitled dingbats that have a skewed sense of reality.

Edited by Austin
  • Like 11

1 minute ago, Austin said:

DOOM 32X resurrection is amazing, particularly in its current form, but it's also a very different project. It was built completely from the ground up and is not a modification of the actual 32X cart released back in the day. Anyone with access to a 32X, software emulation, or a MiSTer, should absolutely try it.

I do have a tower of power (though not the cool cersion, I bought the newer model JagCD as I had read the failure of the older units were higher... but it doesn't look right).  Still need to try the Doom 22x Resurrection though!  Didn't they get the source code and fix it up?

2 hours ago, leech said:

I do have a tower of power (though not the cool cersion, I bought the newer model JagCD as I had read the failure of the older units were higher... but it doesn't look right).  Still need to try the Doom 22x Resurrection though!  Didn't they get the source code and fix it up?

There are different models of the JagCD? I didn't imagine it had a big enough production run to necessitate an updated version. Or a second run. Or really even why there was a first run, but that's another topic.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, madman said:

There are different models of the JagCD? I didn't imagine it had a big enough production run to necessitate an updated version. Or a second run. Or really even why there was a first run, but that's another topic.

Haha, my bad, I meant SegaCD, my wires got crossed.  The sole purpose of the JagCD is for the VLM.  It had a few games that were pretty fun.  My brother ended up beating Blue Lightning and Battlemorph... which is saying a lot, as I do not think you could save in Blue Lightning.  I beat Vid Grid and Highlander.  Now that I think about it, I probably completed a higher percentage of games on the JagCD than I have any other system I have ever known!  Helps there are only 14-ish.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, leech said:

oh wait, I can really only think of Star Wars Arcade being good...

It had the best home port of Virtua Racing for a long time too, one of my personal favorites from Sega, given the Saturn port was b0rk, for well documented reasons.

I still never knew anyone who had one (or a Jaguar for that matter) when they were actually on the market though. People were either happy with their SNES, existing Genesis, or in one case Sega CD, and then just moved on to the "real" next gen stuff, or got girlfriends.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, The Helper said:

Super Burnout was a great game but nothing else on the Jag came close to Virtua Racing on the 32X even.

I've not played VR on the 32X but not even WTR came close to it (despite being a vast improvement over CF)?

On another note, and shooting off on more of a tangent, Super Burnout is arcade-quality, I'm surprised it isn't compared to say Suzuka 8 Hours more often. SB could've used the biker sprite-work that S8H had but otherwise had you dropped SB into an arcade in '95, it would've done well.

Edited by Shaggy the Atarian
typo fix
  • Like 1

I play a lot of WTR, and I've played a lot of Virtua racing. On hardware, Virtua Racing wins. On BigPEmu with uncapped blitter, WTR holds its own as far as gameplay, but subjectively the artwork is still probably better on Virtua Racing. It's why I wish Checkered Flag wasn't horrible, because IMHO, it actually looks better than Virtua Racing in static screenshots.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Oh boy...I knew it would head in this off topic direction, Jag forum gonna Jag forum. Super Burnout and PDR (yes I know there are others) on the Jag are good to great racing games, 32x has VRD. I'd call that a draw, it comes down to what you prefer, but if we're talking 3D racing, a winner is 32x. Jag has Supercross 3D and 32x has Motocross Championship, another draw for 3D bike racing games. Fighting games, 32x wins. Sports games, 32x although the Jag version of NBA Jam TE is superior. For FPS, Jag has Doom, Wolfenstein and AvP. 32x has a IMO lesser version of Doom. Jag wins. I could go on, but you get the point. They're both niche video game devices each having a small amount of great games and plenty of steamy piles. The Jag just happens to have more piles that are often much steamier. 

On 8/29/2023 at 6:36 AM, leech said:

My brother ended up beating Blue Lightning and Battlemorph... which is saying a lot, as I do not think you could save in Blue Lightning.

You could save with a Memory Track.  But without it, Blue Lightning would be pretty tough to beat.  You can play through the four training levels to give you your pick of three jets (and therefore three lives), or you could skip the training to play with just the Hornet, but if you die then it's Game Over.  And without a Memory Track, you would essentially have to replay those four training missions each time you fire up the game if you want to have even a chance of beating the game.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Rick Dangerous said:

Have been playing Doom Resurrection on 32x and had to come check in on this thread.  Take your time....everyone is super excited for this an no comparisons will be made; I'm sure it will be awesome! 

What is Doom Resurrection on 32X, is it an all new game or just updates to the original Doom on 32X

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mittens0407 said:

It's a new port to the 32x. https://github.com/viciious/d32xr

Ah ok I have heard of this, I think I gave up in trying to figure out how to download the rom or whatever version it was a while back. So I didnt know if it was a new game or just an update of things in the original game. 

• Like 2

On 8/29/2023 at 7:16 PM, madman said:

Jag has Supercross 3D and 32x has Motocross Championship, another draw for 3D bike racing games.

I really used to think Supercross 3D looked like the better game until I fired it up on BigPEmu, it's borderline unplayable. Motocross Championship is a much simpler game but the controls are rather good for what it is, I don't find myself eating dirt every five seconds. Both OSTs seem to aim for that classic ear bleeding style though.

Edited by Mittens0407
  • Haha 1