IGNORED

Doom : Slayer Edition

Sporadic

You've already exceeded my expectations for what could be done so Ill throw this out - Quake mod :)

In all seriousness, great job.  Seems the Id guys left alot of the good stuff in, just didnt have time to make it work on the Jag.

In the past Saturn released a tool/docs on how to create Jag levels, do you have plans to do this for all the new good stuff you've put into this?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Goochman said:

In all seriousness, great job.  Seems the Id guys left alot of the good stuff in, just didnt have time to make it work on the Jag.

In the past Saturn released a tool/docs on how to create Jag levels, do you have plans to do this for all the new good stuff you've put into this?

Only the music was 'left' in, the rest has had to be added.  Eventually we will release the tools we've had to develop for this, yes.

2 hours ago, famicommander said:

Super Shotgun is boss.

If you're throwing stuff from Doom II in there, any chance we see the Doom II enemies? Arachnotrons, Pain Elementals, Revenants, Archviles, Wolfenstein Nazis? Who doesn't like to Super Shotgun some Nazis?

Not for Slayer.  If we keep adding stuff we'll never get it finished.  Slayer will focus on DOOM.  This was just a proof of concept for bringing assets from D2 in which would be required for and could potentially be used in a future project (Doom 2/Heretic) should we decide to proceed in that direction.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I was wondering what the "Boomstick" option on the new cheats screen would do.  Really incredible stuff here.

As amazing as Heretic would be on the Jag, I cringe to think what would happen with it when the JSIII crew gets ahold of it.  You know, since they've had a working version for years now.  *gags*

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, PFG 9000 said:

As amazing as Heretic would be on the Jag, I cringe to think what would happen with it when the JSIII crew gets ahold of it.  You know, since they've had a working version for years now.  *gags*

Start the weekend with a huge belly laugh.  Thank you!

• Haha 1

Look what came in Loot Crate this month! There are two nice "12 gauge" shot glasses and a really nice bottle opener(very heavy) that sticks to the frig!

They must have heard about the New Jag Edition!  ;)

We cancelled Loot Crate months ago cuz there was just crap in the boxes, but this month and the last month have been extremely cool.

Plus it's fun opening them with my son. :)

doom.jpg

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Albert said:

Two questions:

1. What is that black box with the Jaguar sticker?
  2. If you canceled Loot Crate months ago, why are you still receiving packages?

..Al

That's the box for the bottle opener that is laying on the front of the box. I freaked my son out and put the Jaguar sticker over the "Loot Crate" circle. :)

I think we are still getting them cuz for a few months(May, June, July) Loot Crate wasn't sending some boxes to people cuz they were having problem$(bankruptcy?) I think they got bought out by another company or something. The last two boxes have been actually really nice. This box also had a tshirt and a really nice set of "Sea of Thieves" book ends.

Edited by Machine

23 hours ago, DoTheMath said:

Now that you have added the super shotgun you have to add some enemies to balance the difficulty. Go all in and throw in doom 2 and final doom ?

OG JagDoom has 22 levels (20 from PC Doom, 2 new)

Ultimate Doom has 36 levels

Doom II: Hell on Earth has 32 levels + 21 Master Levels + 9 No Rest for The Living Levels

Final Doom has a staggering 64 levels

There's no way in hell they're fitting over 160 maps on a Jag cart. To say nothing of how much would need to be cut out of the later Doom II or Final Doom levels. Even on PS1 some of those maps drop to single digit frames for big chunks of time.

1 hour ago, famicommander said:

There's no way in hell they're fitting over 160 maps on a Jag cart. To say nothing of how much would need to be cut out of the later Doom II or Final Doom levels. Even on PS1 some of those maps drop to single digit frames for big chunks of time.

Wow. Checks free space... Checks size of NRV2E compressed map... 

"The Jaguar can't play music in game" ... nods

"The Jaguar doesn't have Specters" ... nods

"The Jaguar couldn't handle the Spider" .... uhuh

"The Jaguar really couldn't handle the CyberDemon" ... ooookaaaaay

"You can't fit 160 maps on the cart" ....  We'll discuss this in the team, we love hearing what can't be done ;)

• Like 3
  • Haha 8

20 minutes ago, CyranoJ said:

Wow. Checks free space... Checks size of NRV2E compressed map... 

"The Jaguar can't play music in game" ... nods

"The Jaguar doesn't have Specters" ... nods

"The Jaguar couldn't handle the Spider" .... uhuh

"The Jaguar really couldn't handle the CyberDemon" ... ooookaaaaay

"You can't fit 160 maps on the cart" ....  We'll discuss this in the team, we love hearing what can't be done ;)

I'd be more than happy to be proven wrong, but earlier in this thread you'd already said that you didn't plan on adding the Doom II enemies that populate all these extra maps.

Plus many of these maps chug on PS1 Final Doom, as do some of the levels on PS1 Doom that weren't inherited from the OG Jaguar version.

10 minutes ago, famicommander said:

you'd already said that you didn't plan on adding the Doom II enemies that populate all these extra maps.

To "Slayer" that is correct... 

To be fair, currently with the Cyber and Spider there's room for ~100 maps (We won't have 100 maps in Slayer)

Without the Cyber and Spider that goes up to about 150 or so....

However... 16mb bank switched ROMS are now possible, so we could quite easily (as in storage, not technical issues) fit it all in for the JaguarGD 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, CyranoJ said:

To "Slayer" that is correct... 

To be fair, currently with the Cyber and Spider there's room for proabbly ~100 maps (We won't have 100 maps in Slayer)

Without the Cyber and Spider that goes up to about 150 or so....

So if the Cyberdemon and Spider Mastermind cost you 50 maps, what about the other Doom II enemies? 

By my count there's the Arachnotron, Archvile, Wolfenstein SS, Chaingunner, Revenant, Hell Knight, Mancubus, and the Pain Elemental plus the special enemies Commander Keen and the Icon of Sin/Romero Head.

They left the Archvile out of the PS1 version. Developer said it was because they couldn't do it justice as the PC character had more than twice as many frames of animation as any other monster.