• Dracula
    • Microsurgeon
    • Frogger
    • Beamrider
    • Truckin

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

5 hours ago, vprette said:

a beat em up like street fighter is mandatory for any system

No game is mandatory, particularly on a console that wants to be different. And again, I don't think a beat'em up can be made E10+ unless it is very cartoonish in nature. Even a game like Castle Crasher is already classified as Teen.

45 minutes ago, ASalvaro said:

Karateka was great on the Atari computers 

Meh. No personalities. No characters. I get that it was an early fighting game, but if that's a possibility (which I don't see why it shouldn't be) then a Ye-ar Kung Fu type of game, with actual fleshed out characters would be much better.

The possibilities of the touch screen on moves is endless. Swipes, gestures, sweeps, circles etc. to pull off moves is tantalizing.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Blarneo said:

Meh. No personalities. No characters. I get that it was an early fighting game, but if that's a possibility (which I don't see why it shouldn't be) then a Ye-ar Kung Fu type of game, with actual fleshed out characters would be much better.

The possibilities of the touch screen on moves is endless. Swipes, gestures, sweeps, circles etc. to pull off moves is tantalizing.

you must be a big Neo Geo fan then there are SO many fighting games on that system..good ones too 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, ASalvaro said:

you must be a big Neo Geo fan then there are SO many fighting games on that system..good ones too 

I am, but mostly for it's shooters (I don't say shmups) like Blazing Star, Aero Fighters and Metal Slug. I'm just saying is if there's going to be a fighting game on this system, the gesture possibilities of the touch screen opens up a lot of neat possibilities instead of button mashing... but also that fighting games have evolved since the "generic guy in a gi" and they need personalities now.

Actually I should state KOF & Samurai Shodown are great. But the new one for $60, even though it is in HD? Pricey. 

Edited by Blarneo
Adding fighter list

On 9/7/2019 at 5:51 PM, Blarneo said:

Karateka and Yie Ar Kung-Fu were completely different. The first one was about trying to create a cinematic experience, the other one was just an over the top action game. Comparing the two doesn't make much sense in my mind. (BTW, I didn't like either of them. I was more of a The Way of the Exploding Fist or International Karate kind of guy.)

As for using gestures, it would not work. Gestures are not precise enough and much too slow. Gestures are "cool" for casting spells in an RPG, but totally impractical for fast action games.

Anyway, this doesn't change that fighting games are not "family friendly." In particular, women tend to strongly dislike this genre. I believe it's better for Intellivision to stay true to their goal and to avoid that genre altogether.

*sigh*. Okay. I give up. 

Let's just enjoy Armor Battle... depicting a war where over 60,000 deaths occurred defeating Nazism with the tank being the biggest death trap of all war machines.

Or Night Stalker and it's neighborhood gun violence.

What did those demons ever do to you?

Or the ultra-sanitary way to make hamburgers... by walking on them. No e-coli there! 

Lock N Chase will teach our children how to rob a bank vault while trying to avoid the cops. First class family fun!

Or racing cars in city streets & crashes never result in dismemberment & decapitation from flying through the windshield at 70mph.

Ah SharkShark! The great circle of life. Or is it an allegory to eat or be eaten world of corporate America where you only get ahead by destroying everybody else in your never ending ambition to be the biggest fish?

Do I need to even describe Dracula?

I get it though. Pocket Fighter is just way too much and disturbing for a family game system.?

Edited by Blarneo
Dracula
  • Haha 1

As of right now, we don't have any fighting games on Amico.  We we're thinking about reviving ClayFighter... but it would probably be in 2021 or 2022.

We could get pitched something along the way, but I would agree that the typical Street Fighter or Tekken series (my favorite) wouldn't really fit in to the other games currently on the system.  One of the reasons it's different is that when "machines" are destroying other machines (airplanes, tanks, etc.) or people are destroying robots (Night Stalker) or snake looking things in SNAFOO, it's a little more detached than punching someone in the throat before pummeling them in the face and kneeing them in the nuts.  :)

It's just more "graphic".  Something like ClayFighter or even something like Dinosaurs or Dragons or Kangaroos or whatever (as long as their isn't blood and broken bones) and there is humor involved... is classified as "cartoon violence" which does not get the Teen rating.  Think Warner Bros. cartoons.  That type of stuff is totally okay.  And for the ratings system... destroying vehicles and robots (i.e. not things that are living) is also perfectly okay for an E or E10+ rating.  But even if you "kill" an alien (i.e. something that is living/breathing) it could be classified as violent.  Even if someone is "shot" but there is no blood and they just disappear (i.e. something like Elevator Action) its also totally ok.  It's the way the death or violence is shown that is the factor.  So punching someone in the face and their head flying back would get the Teen rating.

Hope this helps to clarify.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Tommy Tallarico said:

As of right now, we don't have any fighting games on Amico.  We we're thinking about reviving ClayFighter... but it would probably be in 2021 or 2022.

We could get pitched something along the way, but I would agree that the typical Street Fighter or Tekken series (my favorite) wouldn't really fit in to the other games currently on the system.  One of the reasons it's different is that when "machines" are destroying other machines (airplanes, tanks, etc.) or people are destroying robots (Night Stalker) or snake looking things in SNAFOO, it's a little more detached than punching someone in the throat before pummeling them in the face and kneeing them in the nuts.  :)

It's just more "graphic".  Something like ClayFighter or even something like Dinosaurs or Dragons or Kangaroos or whatever (as long as their isn't blood and broken bones) and there is humor involved... is classified as "cartoon violence" which does not get the Teen rating.  Think Warner Bros. cartoons.  That type of stuff is totally okay.  And for the ratings system... destroying vehicles and robots (i.e. not things that are living) is also perfectly okay for an E or E10+ rating.  But even if you "kill" an alien (i.e. something that is living/breathing) it could be classified as violent.  Even if someone is "shot" but there is no blood and they just disappear (i.e. something like Elevator Action) its also totally ok.  It's the way the death or violence is shown that is the factor.  So punching someone in the face and their head flying back would get the Teen rating.

Hope this helps to clarify.

What is that Ninja game where the enemies turn into chickens and run away when they get hit? Totally E killing. :) Love that game.

Update: Mini Ninja Adventures -Square Enix (and its not chickens, its foxes and ducks)

1 hour ago, Tommy Tallarico said:

Speaking of Karateka (I had it on my Apple IIc).... does anyone remember the Bruce Lee game?  With the lanterns?  That was a cool one!  Had that on my IIc as well.

It's well remembered here at AtariAge since there have been at least two unofficial sequels and several hacks in the past few years! ^^

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Tommy Tallarico said:

Speaking of Karateka (I had it on my Apple IIc).... does anyone remember the Bruce Lee game?  With the lanterns?  That was a cool one!  Had that on my IIc as well. 

One of my favorite games of all time... and I played it in 1989 for the Amstrad CPC!

It is truly amazing how three persons (two if we leave the music out) were able to program this gem, without even a testing team. The difficulty is just right, something very uncommon in the 80s (too difficult) or even today (too easy).

I just learned very recently about this awesome machine called the Apple II, able to run wonders such as Prince of Persia or the Bruce Lee game. I'm not a fan of the color palette, but having that computer in 1980 must have been totally futuristic. 10 years later, many of us were playing those games in other machines with a bit of extra color!

If you like the Apple II, try emulating the Amstrad CPC. I explain everything about the system here. I believe the blocky graphics and game catalog of this machine can be very interesting for Intellivision and Apple II fans, and probably roots.genoa remembers it very well, as it was quite popular in France.

Edited by IntelliMission
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Tommy Tallarico said:

Even if someone is "shot" but there is no blood and they just disappear (i.e. something like Elevator Action) its also totally ok.  It's the way the death or violence is shown that is the factor.  So punching someone in the face and their head flying back would get the Teen rating.

You announced plans to re-design Dracula. I don't envy the tightrope your designers will have to walk to keep him an icon and please the ESRB at the same time, without turning him into a muppet that counts things on Sesame Street.

Dracula's only motivation is his insatiable thirst for blood. He gets this through seduction, mind control and sexual assault. 

He is the personification of our darkest fears of losing our autonomy and ownership of our bodies, minds and souls. It's why he's up there with Robin Hood, Merlin, Perseus and Long John Silver as a literary and cinematic icon. 

Even the original 1983 game has him as the player's avatar assaulting people on the street. I don't know how Dracula's character can be faithfully depicted and still remain within the rules of E10+.

It seems to me that the ESRB ratings are arbitrary and capricious. Shooting somebody is OK, as long as there's no blood. Punching somebody with no blood is bad, because reasons. Biting somebody, where blood is necessary to remain true to a literary icon? Maybe they'll bend the rules.

Edited by Blarneo
Remark about ESRB
  • Like 2

According to the esrb "fantasy violence" is rated e10+.  I'm not familiar with sexual assault in literary or cinematic dracula but I don't expect to see any sexual assault in a dracula video game. 

The imagic dracula game was kind of funny.  If they go the comedic or horror route, doesn't matter as long as it's a good game.

Edited by mr_me
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, mr_me said:

According to the esrb "fantasy violence" is rated e10+.  I'm not familiar with sexual assault in literary or cinematic dracula but I don't expect to see any sexual assault in a dracula video game. 

The imagic dracula game was kind of funny.  If they go the comedic or horror route, doesn't matter as long as it's a good game.

So... put Leslie Nielsen's face on him?

Of course not about sexual assault in the game, but I'm curious what were you doing when you should've been paying attention to those Dracula movies you were supposed to be watching?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Blarneo said:

You announced plans to re-design Dracula. I don't envy the tightrope your designers will have to walk to keep him an icon and please the ESRB at the same time, without turning him into a muppet that counts things on Sesame Street.

Dracula's only motivation is his insatiable thirst for blood. He gets this through seduction, mind control and sexual assault. 

He is the personification of our darkest fears of losing our autonomy and ownership of our bodies, minds and souls. It's why he's up there with Robin Hood, Merlin, Perseus and Long John Silver as a literary and cinematic icon. 

Even the original 1983 game has him as the player's avatar assaulting people on the street. I don't know how Dracula's character can be faithfully depicted and still remain within the rules of E10+.

It seems to me that the ESRB ratings are arbitrary and capricious. Shooting somebody is OK, as long as there's no blood. Punching somebody with no blood is bad, because reasons. Biting somebody, where blood is necessary to remain true to a literary icon? Maybe they'll bend the rules.

Dracula can bite a person's neck.  No problem.  But if the neck then gushes blood or leaves blood marks and the victim curls up in pain... it's a problem.

It's the depiction of the act that garnishes a rating... not the act itself.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Tommy Tallarico said:

Karateka is an awesome game, so is Bruce Lee. Karateka was the first game I ever "completed", Jordan Mechner fan for life just from that and Prince of Persia.  

I get why karateka may not fit within the Amico style of gaming (I think more because it was a single player experience rather than any implied violence) but in that style of game I think IK+ with it's cartoon violence and humour (dropped pants with the blushing done in a tasteful cartoonish way) could be a big hit and it was already big as a couch multiplayer title.

You guys should drop a line to Archer McLean. Between that and his pool games and other wonderful 8-16 bit gems, he'd be perfect for an Amico production.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Tommy Tallarico said:

Another Apple IIc person!  I rescued the IIc I grew up with from my parent's garage only last summer.  It still mostly works.

Side note: I know back in the day we were told that the IIc had no internal expansion ports but it turns out that the 3rd motherboard revision of the IIc added a memory expansion connector underneath the keyboard.

• Like 1

On 9/6/2019 at 6:42 PM, JasonlikesINTV said:

Did I miss some juicy drama?

Oh, nothing too spectacular or anything.  Just a little feuding with Pat Contri and Ian regarding their questions/concerns/feelings regarding the Amico and people's reactions to it.  Nothing really more than that and not too much to see.