IGNORED

HSC16 Round 16: The Five Towers

therealbountybob

Well sorry folks, it's a sad state of affairs when a Jigsaw game is the best one of the round...

Cohen's Towers 650 did manage the odd delivery but this is really a terrible game, random deaths slow gameplay poor timing allowances...

Tower Toppler is locking up on my 130XE (from mydos disk on 1050 tried two versions). I couldn't even figure out how to get past the first hole, the 2nd bit opens up and you can't jump again - is there a long jump or something i'm missing? DOH - I see I go in the towe! Trying again using version from fandal's site using APE to load it...

If you press Option on the title screen it will eventually go to Mission 2 - so we could try both?

I'll put the next poll up tonight and we can start the next round when we have a winner.

The C64 (and NES) versions are prettier, with colours instead of the striped look. Not even with NTSC interlacing colours it would look good.

Improved scores:

Cohen's Towers - 520 pts
Kason's Tower - Reached level 1:2
Tower [Stephen Taylor] - 708 pts, tower 4
Tower Toppler - 7690 pts, tower 2

cohens-towers-520.jpg.f9c4cc01973f8b2c9e7d919b6ac12d42.jpg

kasons-tower-lvl1_s2.jpg.e525a548d16723001278e08d70ecb30b.jpg

stephen-taylor-tower-708.jpg.3354e560d482b04419ace5a8454091b6.jpg

tower-toppler-7690.jpg.59376b81749cd0ae899fdacd6131346d.jpg

• Like 1

On 9/17/2019 at 7:47 PM, carlsson said:

Yeah, Tower Toppler worked on my PAL 130XE on first attempt, unlike some of the other HSC games we've played earlier. I understand there is a bit of YMMV when it comes to Atari 8-bit compatibility.

What did you load it from?

I need to run it through something to make it a boot disk perhaps? (worked ok from APE)

EVERYONE Tower Toppler - Try the other towers using the warp Ctrl-1-9 we may as well thrash it out for the next few days!

Been spending some free time on Block on Legs: First Steps for relase after abbuc, I think you will all like it (fingers crossed) :)

OK POLL TIME... POLL OPEN!

On 9/19/2019 at 12:21 AM, carlsson said:

Regular SIO2SD.

ok, I did get Tower Toppler to work from disk loading directly from mydos without a menu :)

Played it some more, started on Tower 2, got to the top fell down the hole. One last go on Cohen's Towers ARGH!! Both games are equally bad.

Block on Legs will kick their butts :D

3 hours ago, therealbountybob said:

ok, I did get Tower Toppler to work from disk loading directly from mydos without a menu :)

Played it some more, started on Tower 2, got to the top fell down the hole. One last go on Cohen's Towers ARGH!! Both games are equally bad.

Block on Legs will kick their butts :D

I'm sorry that the consensus on my game was so negative.  I know it wasn't the best choice in my list, but I figured, in spite of it's flaws, the challenge level would merit a better response.  :( 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Deteacher said:

I'm sorry that the consensus on my game was so negative.  I know it wasn't the best choice in my list, but I figured, in spite of it's flaws, the challenge level would merit a better response.  :( 

I'ts good to try something different, I really like his other games Ghost Chaser, Ollies Follies, Nuclear Nick and  Scooter (I think that's him too) perhaps on NTSC the extra speed makes it more playable. I'll hook up a stick to the PC and take a look. Wounder if Cohen's Towers was rushed out or something or one of his earlier games :ponder:

Saying all this my new game is a bit twitchy but I hope some better level design will help here.

I don't find Cohen's that bad, just that it seems to have a steep difficulty level right from the beginning, perhaps the level design could have been a little more forgiving to start with. When you get barely nowhere in a game, you soon lose the interest to play it any further. I also went through my small notebook of C64 high scores from my youth and while I'm fairly sure I've played Cohen's Towers on it some time, I never got as many points that it was worth writing down my score which tells me something.

• Like 1

Cohen's Towers has all the elements of a good game, if it was slicker and less annoying it would be a good game, especailly with the verticall scrolling in a platformer, though others use it e.g. Electrician they are more to get to an area to do stuff rather than a key part of the game, this one with the vertical lifts in both directions would be a winner.

Damn Block on Legs, just when I thought I'd finished overnight I've decided to add some movement velocity to try and make it less twitchy! More assembling coming up!

Congratulations to Deteacher for winning the round. I've made up the scoring, hope this is ok with everyone. We've discussed the games already so let's move on to the next round ;)

Cohen's Towers

1st   Deteacher                   11,580  6pts
  2nd   McKong                       7,740  4pts
  3rd   therealbountybob               650  2pts
  4th   carlsson                       520  2pts
  5th   Sikor                          220  2pts
  6th   slx                            220  2pts

Tower Toppler
  1st   Deteacher                   22,250     6pts
  2nd   therealbountybob             8,250     3pts
  3rd   carlsson                     7,690     3pts
  4th   McKong                       7,110     3pts
  5th   Sikor                        2,690     1pt

Tower
  1st   McKong                       1,283     2pts
  2nd   therealbountybob               839     1pt
  3rd   carlsson                       708     1pt
  4th   Deteacher                      407     1pt

Kason's Tower
  1st   Deteacher                        6     2pts
  2nd   therealbountybob                 2     1pt
  3rd   carlsson                         1     1pt

Tower of Flames
  1st   Deteacher                       70     1pt

Tower Jigsaws
  1st   RedThunder                       2     2pts

UPDATED: Season 16 Current Standings

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, McKong said:

Scoring is fine, sorry I didn't get round to playing the other two games, I've not had too much time recently.

You didn't miss much, I will get Tower of Flames to work just in case it was the hidden gem of the round (!)