IGNORED

The next game or demo competition for Atari Lynx!

rj1307

I'm done with pixeling and exporting the graphics, so five nights now for coding the game, doing the music, describing the entry and recording a video of it. :o It's a very simple game so it might be possible though. It seems that it's possible to submit an entry later than the 6th too, but risking problems with presentation.

The entries need to be submitted to the party organisers no later than one week before the party. This way the organisers will be able to make sure that all the entries are working fine on the party hardware. Authors who decide to submit the entires later risk the problems with presentation during the party.

8 hours ago, laoo said:

I hope the abysmal silence on this whole subforum is a sign that everyone is working hard on his/her entry to the game compo :)

Same for me, the deadline is very short, so it's hard to post progress / updates while working on the game itself. My game is currently being beta-tested while I doing bugfixing and polishing, so I'm confident that I'll be able to submit something for the deadline! (I wasn't so sure to make it 2 weeks ago :p)

It'll be a very small and simple game, but I hope people will enjoy it anyway :)

Edited by drludos
  • Like 1

I just decided to half the levels in the game and polish the graphics.

My biggest problem is that the music is nice but it does not fit in memory. So I will make it with 3 sounds only. Plus I have to get rid of the small tonal variations to save space. Perhaps I cheat and mix in the original soundtrack in the demo video? I could always blame on bad speekers if the Lynx sounds hollow.

• Haha 1

I think the general rules said that if failing to get the game to work on real hardware after three tries they play the video instead.

Yes, here it is:

In case of any unexpected problems with running the entry during the party (we will perform three attempts), the MP4 recording will be replayed to the audience instead.

http://sillyventure.eu/en/compos

Edited by Turbo Laser Lynx
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, karri said:

Hmm. So if I MAKE the game fail they use the mp4 video... What a devilish idea. I like it!

So here is a small "sample" of Silly Sister music. Eat your hearts out guys. Recorded from a "real Lynx". If you can believe it. (I can't)

http://79.125.115.174/pics/SillySis.mp3

No way this is a Lynx. I mean, we have Nov. 26th, not April, 1st.

Just kidding. This is the problem I have. The real Lynx sounds awful compared to this mp3. That was why I used quotes. Sorry for the confusion.

Obviously I cannot fake a mp4 video and claim that this sound track comes from a Lynx.

I have spent tons of hours trying to get the single channels sound even remotely decent together. There is just 2 notes active most of the time. A single note melody and a bass line.

27 minutes ago, karri said:

Just kidding. This is the problem I have. The real Lynx sounds awful compared to this mp3. That was why I used quotes. Sorry for the confusion.

Obviously I cannot fake a mp4 video and claim that this sound track comes from a Lynx.

I have spent tons of hours trying to get the single channels sound even remotely decent together. There is just 2 notes active most of the time. A single note melody and a bass line.

Yepp, chip music is a special art.

• Sad 1

It is just so frustrating to compose anything on the Lynx. I should really take sage's route and connect the Lynx as the primary sound generator to my keyboard. Then I might be able to compose something that works.

Well, tonight I make a final valiant effort to just squeeze the tune in the Lynx by force. The good thing is that you can toggle the bg music off by pressing Opt2.

As I cannot be at Silly Ventures in person I add a picture of "that guy responsible of the music" that you can use during the presentation:

1116531175_Screenshotfrom2019-11-2616-24-17.thumb.png.92ad59eec40c22a31c0bea8df851929b.png

• Haha 1

Due to the fact that I will be presenting your SV games, I have a huge request to send me text files with the description of the game. You can include in it what you would like to say about your work, it will be said on the compo in Polish and English. I need some time to get ready, so don't wait until the last minute ;)