IGNORED

EPROMS 27C128 vs 27C256???

Mike Harris

I misspoke, it wasn't elsewhere on this board but it was someone else on this board that PM me.

I am doing research on the 4 card edge interfaces of the ADAM, The Smart Writer Roms, the BIOS, OTP's

I look at the lack of material out there on the ADAM and am trying to fill in the blanks so anyone can whip something together in order to expand their fun with the ADAM.

Edited by Mike Harris

• 2 weeks later...

On the Adam Logic Board...

U21 = Adam OS (called EOS)

U20, U22, U8 = SmartWriter roms for 3 chip version

U20, U22 = SmartWriter roms for 2 chip version with U8 socket open. The Dallas SmartClock chip was sold by Trisyd Video Games with software for installation in U8.

You mention the CV board... that is the ColecoVision OS called OS7 which is not the same as EOS 

Have you considered the MicroFox Parrallel Interface for Slot #2 instead of re-inventing the wheel. It has a Boot Prom socket that can facilitate up to a 32K prom (IDE HD Drivers, SmartBasic) that would load upon turning on or resetting the system. It also functions as an Addressor Card for expansion Ram above 64K. Last, but not least, it's cheap.

6 hours ago, NIAD said:

Have you considered the MicroFox Parrallel Interface for Slot #2 instead of re-inventing the wheel. It has a Boot Prom socket that can facilitate up to a 32K prom (IDE HD Drivers, SmartBasic) that would load upon turning on or resetting the system. It also functions as an Addressor Card for expansion Ram above 64K. Last, but not least, it's cheap.

Every time I learn something new my direction changes.
Now I'm experimenting with interfacing an Arduino and controlling my WIFI thermostat from my ADAM.

Here's some great info from John Lundy that was posted on the Coleco ADAM facebook page...

This info might come in useful for tech savvy users with the ability to program EPROMs. I’ll post the 3-EPROM versions of R80 and R97 to the files section.

Converting an older 4-EPROM configured console to 3-EPROM R80 configuration
This all started when my first console had R77 with 4 EPROMs installed. After that, I had one with R80 with 4 EPROMs and another R80 with 3 PROMs. Some had a jumper wire bypassing the PCB A13 line and running the U22 A13 pin-26 directly to U7 (MIOC) pin-19 or also one end of unpopulated WJ5. This line appears to be used for special addressing to U22 for dealing with EOS in a 4-EPROM configuration. The schematic shows jumper settings but without any useful information about configurations.

Configuration jumpers for ROM select decoder (U23) and EPROM sizes used

Older 4-EPROM configuration:
WJ6 – Installed
WJ5 – Removed
U21 2764 (ALF-3 $4000 to $5FFF of full 32K ROM image)
U22 – 27128 (EOS in lower 8K and ALF-4 in upper 8K $6000 to 7FFF of full 32K ROM image)
U8 – 2764 (ALF-1 $0000 to 1FFF of full 32K ROM image)
U20 – 2764 (ALF-2 $2000 to 3FFF of full 32K ROM image)

Newer 3-EPROM configuration:
*Remove any prior wiring modifications to U22
WJ6 – Removed
WJ5 – Installed
U21 – 2764 (Dedicated to EOS)
U22 – 27128 (R80 Upper 16K $4000 to $7FFF of full 32K ROM image)
U8 – Not installed
U20 – 27128 (R80 Lower 16K $0000 to $3FFF of full 32K ROM image)

*Note a 27256 EPROM can be used to replace a 27128 EPROM as long as it is programmed to the upper 16K ($4000-$7FFF) space.

An interesting thing but I can send commands to the Arduino, the Arduino sends commands through the WIFI which can change the temperature on my thermostat.

I may have made history but I know there used to be a device to turn lights on and off using your ADAM through a serial port so maybe not.

Now I am trying to figure out how I can receive the time from the DS1307 RTC board on my Arduino and use it someway on my ADAM.

Just toying around here.

Very primitive and no solid interface.  ADAM is basically acting like a push button while the Arduino does all the work.

Edited by Mike Harris