IGNORED

Composite Video on a sega genesis

Blindseer42

Both the model 1 and 2 (and 32x) natively output composite (and RGB). You just need the proper cable.

Model 1:

https://castlemaniagames.com/collections/sega/products/sega-genesis-1-6ft-composite-a-v-cable

Model 2 & 32x:

https://castlemaniagames.com/collections/sega/products/sega-genesis-2-3-av-composite-video-cable-new-replacement-cord-retro-bit

If your TV can handle 240p properly, you can also get the HD Retrovision component cables for an even better picture.

Mods exist for Svideo for both systems, if you are so inclined. But not sure if that's worth it. Those inputs are are becoming scarcer then hens teeth these days.

If money is no object (or you have multiple RGB enabled systems), and you want the cleanest picture on a modern TV via HDMI, an OSSC and SCART cable are probably your best bet. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Bruce Tomlin said:

On a Model 1 you can just use a 5-pin DIN plug (the other two pins are for RGB, IIRC), I think you even get stereo audio. On a Model 2, the connector is fiddly enough that you want to buy one already made. Anything better than RGB/stereo needs mods or circuitry to derive the picture from RGB.

Model 1 can only do mono from the AV jack.

17 hours ago, nick3092 said:

Model 1 can only do mono from the AV jack.

That is why you use a 1/8 to 2 separate L/R RCA cable. That way you can run the left and right to the stereo inputs on your TV or AV receiver. Unless you start looking at some of the various audio mods that also exist for all the different model variants.

3 hours ago, Greg2600 said:

Composite/AV on the Genesis is TERRIBLE!  It's barely better than RF.  I would get the new HDMI cables and call it a day.

https://www.hyperkin.com/hdtv-cable-for-genesis-hyperkin.html

Few things to note about these cables. I've got one that I used for testing a few things...

First is that you get NO audio when using it with a model 1. None...or at least I wasn't getting any audio from the 2 different Genesis systems I tested it with. So you will have to find a way to route audio. On my model 2 I did get audio from the cable just fine.

It looked really good but it did exhibit a darker picture compared to my s-video modded and HDretrovision cable Genesis. It was a softer image as well but did NOT exhibit any jailbars which, I thought was pretty interesting. Introduces some lag also that you would have to get accustomed to. So yes, as long as you can route your audio through a receiver or other external speakers, these are a nice and quick way to play Genesis/MD on a modern TV.

• 1 month later...
On 9/13/2019 at 10:35 PM, DragonGrafx-16 said:

Yep the Genesis has always had composite. I use a composite cable with my Model 1 just need to use a 1/8" to RCA cable in the headphone jack to get stereo sound. It distorts sometimes but is still better than RF.

You mean a 3.5 mm.  Even though that's a pretty close approximation.

The funny thing is a Genesis model ones had 3.5 mm ports yet they choose to use q sound in association with Capcom.  and q sound is the basis for most sound bars today.

Ironically it was Super Nintendo who didn't have a native headphone port decided to make headphone based around which is the modern-day equivalent of a Turtle Beach or Tritton headset or converter box.

Nintendo Wii U and switch use their own proprietary headphone surround system based on lpcm 5.1 and 7.1.

Also, all the Nintendo  portables sound better with headphones then listening to it with communal speakers. Odd that the Game Boy Advance SP doesn't have a headphone port without buying an adapter.

The Rare Xbox games have headphone sound mode built in, because it was part if the original.