IGNORED

5200 HSC Season 12 Round 18 - Jungle Hunt

DamonicFury

Welcome to round eighteen of this 5200 HSC season!  Jungle Hunt tied the poll with Popeye, but won the coin flip afterwards.  Play using the default settings.  Emulation is fine, as are custom controls. Pics preferred, but not required except for HSC wins and records.

The current record was set by darthkur with 43,270 points.  Bust it if you can for a bonus point.

The ROM and manual can be found here:

https://atariage.com/software_page.php?SoftwareLabelID=629

Round ends Sunday, September 29th , 2019 @9pm EST

Standings:

Nuclear Pacman - 36,020

eegt97 - 34,140

JacobZu7zu7 - 7,700

bemis - 6,750

Mangia-Boy - 2,900

jblenkle - 2,300

I couldn't improve my score and I really tried. I can't find any consistency with this game. There were a few times that I couldn't even get past the first vine stage! The furthest I got into the game was the 3rd boulder round. One time I made it to the 3rd round with all my lives, and proceeded to lose 3 guys on the vines. I'm not very good with the monkeys. Also, most of the time, it doesn't seem worth it to go after the crocodiles, since the bonus timer is where the bulk of your score comes from, better to play it safe. 

There's a really odd mechanism for the scoring of the boulders. On the big ones that you can duck under, the scoring seems backwards. So, jumping over it grants 200 points, but ducking under it only scores 100, and even worse, running under it scores only 50 points. Uhm, so that is in order of difficulty, jumping being the easiest to do, scores the most points, while the insanely hard running underneath scores 50. 

Congratulations to Nuclear Pacman for swinging on the most vines, stabbing the most crocs, and jumping over the most boulders.  Beef Drop is up next.  

Final standings: 

Nuclear Pacman - 36,020  +11

eegt97 - 34,140  +10

JacobZu7zu7 - 7,700  +9

bemis - 6,750  +8

Mangia-Boy - 2,900  +7

jblenkle - 2,300  +6