IGNORED

Ads Coming to AtariAge

Albert

Al, some of ad companies use every thing they can to adjust the ads, so sometimes that is how it works. Every piece of data is utilized to adjust what is seen. Initially if there is little to go on, they use what's serving it up, and who ever is testing it at the template,  as it build from an individual it will adjust to them based on whatever it finds (or does not find) after scouring their machine (cookies, ip's, id's, what have you)...

It's all good though, because those who are interested can take a deep dive on all the different ways ads get picked and served.

Glad to see they have at least some filter to make a statement as to what will be served. Slightly more encouraging.

Even if everyone subscribed and fully funded the servers, ads would be 'money on the table'. Money is money... :)

They also keep track of the ad being seen, you don't have to click it for it to be worth it to an advertiser. But generally the little guy only will see money from a click. Read the fine print and see if you get a cut for having served an ad. You should get something, if not your being taken advantage of. Many don't realize that point and is part of the reason ad serving companies are killing it (revenue)...

Edited by _The Doctor__

14 minutes ago, Mr Robot said:

Yes there have. Which methods specifically would you be willing to contribute using? A member for over 18 years, over 25000 posts (over 100 posts a month), not a subscriber, adblock enabled. How does Albert get you to help keep everything running?

any point to more user shaming?

We wouldn't have nearly any of the important content and knowledge, nor celebrity walk thru (s) as has been seen, if this were the model all these years. Might I include the mention that- once a subscriber is not always a subscriber-... people do what they can sometimes and their knowledge can be priceless.

this sort of thing leads to no good and it's already proliferating. Good thing it's staying in it's own thread for now.

Hopefully when 'your not a subscriber' stuff like this pops up during a flame up it will get deleted from whatever debate thread is running at that time.

The ads are coming. People who have subscribed an no longer can should feel no shame or have such mentioned. The value is in the content sometimes.

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, VectorGamer said:

Anyone reading this news and seeing a grim future for AtariAge? At least for the forums anyway? In the OP Al states that subscriptions weren't significant enough to offset hosting costs.

Either I need to buy a subscription or start buying more product. I admit I halve only purchased a hand full of items. My setlladapter which is sadly broken, Combat Redux cart and now Sadoom! on a cart (Kaboom! hack also known as Kaboom! 9)

1 hour ago, Albert said:

I would like to do this on the main site with the games database.  I have wanted to do this for a while.  I don't need to make money from people playing games in a web-based emulator. 

I love the idea of the emulator keeping track of scores, that would be a ton of fun to integrate directly into the online database.

I see potential for revenue for AA there, too. You could also offer some features to AtariAge subscribers exclusively: highscores, early access to homebrew, bonus levels that are only available on cart and in the emulator, ... This might help to convert more users into paying subscribers.

Either way, paid or not, if you want to do something like this, give me a shout, I am ready to help ;)

Edited by DirtyHairy
  • Like 4

18 minutes ago, Mr Robot said:

Yes there have. Which methods specifically would you be willing to contribute using? A member for over 18 years, over 25000 posts (over 100 posts a month), not a subscriber, adblock enabled. How does Albert get you to help keep everything running?

You don't know nothing and I am not going to defend myself.

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Mr Robot said:

While I appreciate what you're doing, let's please not go down this road.

..Al

• Like 8

21 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

Hopefully when 'your not a subscriber' stuff like this pops up during a flame up it will get deleted from whatever debate thread is running at that time.

Subscriptions have already been available for over five years and this sort of thing hasn't happened.  And I don't expect it to happen.

..Al

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm looking at this thread as the example from here on out as the change isn't here yet...

But the  -ads are coming banner- could have just as easily been a subscribe, donate link banner is what I think a few were getting at, and or even alternating with different items from within the AtariAge Store. You still might consider the inline ads of that nature that was suggested. I know I surprised a few people when I sent them to what your selling and they either didn't know of the shop, or forgot it... the observed length of this thread already shows how effective that would have been...

Edited by _The Doctor__

11 minutes ago, Karl G said:

I could be convinced to pay almost as much to NOT have access to those forums. :grin:

Why not both?  Those that want access to the Politics & Religious forum please send me $100.  Those that don't want access will be given access unless they, too, send me $100.

..Al

• Haha 11

56 minutes ago, Albert said:

Subscriptions have already been available for over five years and this sort of thing hasn't happened.  And I don't expect it to happen.

..Al

I honestly didn't know that. I've been a member for around a year and never realised this was a thing. 

I now consider myself educated to all things subscriberish and think grabbing a subscription is a great way to support the site.

Edited by Muddyfunster
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Albert said:

Why not both?  Those that want access to the Politics & Religious forum please send me $100.  Those that don't want access will be given access unless they, too, send me $100.

..Al

If it comes with a free copy of Baby Pac-Man sign me up!   :)

I don't mind ads, as I see zero reason Al should foot the bill for this place on his own.   He also has a very easy way for people to contribute and never have to see them.

I would pick up a subscription as a way to kick back to the site when I made some sales here.   If I visit more (since the other video game site I frequented for a decade could disappear at any second), then I'll likely re-subscribe anyway.

1 hour ago, Albert said:

While I appreciate what you're doing, let's please not go down this road.

..Al

30 minutes ago, Mr Robot said:

I'm not trying to shame anybody specifically but there is always a core group of users ... blah blah blah

Al politely asks you not to go down that road yet you continue to go down that road...

kill me eye roll GIF

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Mr Robot said:

You would say that

@Mr RobotI strongly urge you to stop attacking @Thomas Jentzsch. He has created a quite a few homebrew games, which is more than you or I have contributed to Atariland culture. There are many ways to participate, and since it's not your site, it seems inappropriate to attempt to dictate to @Albert how things should be run. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Muddyfunster said:

I honestly didn't know that. I've been a member for around a year and never realised this was a thing. 

I now consider myself educated to all things subscriberish and think grabbing a subscription is a great way to support the site.

Subscribing is great. I recommend everyone do it!   :D

• Like 2