IGNORED

HSC16 Round 17: Pastfinder + Pathfinder!

therealbountybob

PASTFINDER

image.png.83913fdf1fe8e0129857e288381c7ad4.png

Fandal XEX

ATARIMANIA has instructions

A superb and intriguing game all round. I know we have played this since HSC5 but the search here on atariage is pants, so if anyone finds it please let me know when it was? [edit] OK I know "know" that i don't know and it was HSC5 but the search is still pants :D

For a bonus we'll take a lookat PATHFINDER never heard of it but it looks interesting and might be an escape from the tension of Pastfinder!

image.gif.0c21c025c5382305499504c87ac789c0.gif

atarimania

pigwa.net has Instructions

Here's the trbb guide to Pathfinder:

It's you vs the "Nuke", he's the 3rd icon on the display, find him, shoot him, collect the fire pellets from the dispensers and put out the fires. You need to fire off all pellets before you can shoot again. The Nuke respawns ofter near where he was killed, the status bar tells you how many there are. When they are all killed the level ends. The green power bar top line is you and the Nuke is the orange one below. When he is more powerful than you he will come after you.

Collect the radiation dotty things to add power, don't do what I did and collect them all, just top up your bar. You could try lowering it to lure the nuke in perhaps then power up (not tried that yet!). Your power depletes over time as well as when wall blasting. Any other baddies or mines you kill will start fires, put them out with the pellets.

Round now closes Tuesday 8th October 10pm UK time

EVERYONE WELCOME TO PLAY, JUST POST A SCORE

:)

Edited by therealbountybob
Extended until TUE 8th Oct 10PM UK time
  • Like 1

Ok, so, I tried the game out earlier, when it was announced as a choice.  Never heard of it before.  Had NO IDEA what I was doing.  So, I looked up the manual.  Still had no idea, after reading it.  Started to figure a couple things out, but still wasn't sure what was going on.  I was kind of hoping this game didn't get picked...

Then I took to YouTube and watched a longplay.  NOW I GET IT!  Everything makes sense and I'm actually looking forward to getting off work and playing it.  :)  So, if you're like me and don't understand it, look it up on YT.  It'll make much more sense.  

GAME ON!

• Like 1

Pastfinder 69,915, please post your ratings too - I forgot but it was around 76 delivered...

To start with: just plod around and get used to the hopping and moving, collect a few X things and then take them to the delivery points (circles on map etc). The collectable items are good so activate them all apart from the dereadiator thing, iuse that when yor radiation level is over a third to reset it. The more you play the more it takes shape, practice hitting the radiation pod things, later you might save the add ons for when you have more buns to deliver or whatever they are, yes I need to read up again too :D

Pastfinder.jpg.b2214fb18ce4e3db9949783fbe20cf26.jpg1325328644_Pastfinder69915.jpg.0c0d05ff34369707d70f328e922aa67e.jpg

Candidate for one of the best games ever :)

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Deteacher said:

Decided to take a break from Pastfinder and tried Pathfinder.  Again, needed to watch a YT video to start to figure it out.  Then I found a manual:  

http://ftp.pigwa.net/stuff/collections/Atari documents/Atari 8-Bit Game Manuals/Pathfinder.PDF

Made it to level 2:  3,446,383!

Great link, thanks deteacher, I've added it to the first post.

Well I managed a measly 23,775 on my exploratory go! Clearly I need to read the manual!! Initial thoughts are it looks promising similar to Hard Hat Willie or SS Achilles perhaps. Not sure if it auto levels up so if anyone gets into it please post what you think.

Big Blow out on Pastfinder today, lost a few men and most of my kir, then got repeatedly fried just as I was about to open up the full map, the spaceship guy had some new missiles that get you in the air, how dastardly ?

Ok, I've hit a wall (pun intended) with Pastfinder.  Basically, if you don't have a scrambler and/or the beam shield in the higher levels, you're screwed.  I had 10 lives and that @$%#$# ship took out most of them on one level.  Can't seem to break 50k.  I did attain the rank of Space Cowboy, though, so that's something.

I'm wondering if rushing to the top of the map is the best way to go with this game.  Oh, and the moving walls section is pure evil too...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Deteacher said:

Ok, I've hit a wall (pun intended) with Pastfinder.  Basically, if you don't have a scrambler and/or the beam shield in the higher levels, you're screwed.  I had 10 lives and that @$%#$# ship took out most of them on one level.  Can't seem to break 50k.  I did attain the rank of Space Cowboy, though, so that's something.

I'm wondering if rushing to the top of the map is the best way to go with this game.  Oh, and the moving walls section is pure evil too...

I think farming out the squares to maximise deliveries is the way to go, but getting each map section unfolded gives a bonus based on the map completion. Need to avoid being reset to a dead zone too. Hold off on using the items to start with, just add them in when you have a bunch of deliveries. This game is intense enough on PAL so I suspect NTSC is a killer!

New Block on Legs video

After the last round I'm going the extra mile to make my new game better, we can play it here next once the abbuc compo voting is over!

Here's a guide to Pastfinder from former HSC Champion poobah:

Basic keys to the game:

0) It's about managing the powerups, everything else is secondary. You need them, dont miss them!

1) if theres a section you know you wont survive, remove your powerups before starting it.

2) radiation isnt a huge deal, there are *almost* always plenty of diamonds, just get them.

3) big points when you hit the top of the map, so zigzag back and forth filling in as much map as possible before you hit top. the more map you explore, the more points you get.

4) never stop shooting.

5) it *is* a psuedo 3D game, use that to your advantage, especially darting behind walls to get diamonds

Getting to the top:

You should have lots of extra guys by now (or you aren't going to make it), the zig zag stuff should help you build up a large supply

* H shaped gates: jump at them when the gate starts heading down, try to keep forward speed up, and notch back when necessary

* Full width walls: pretty painless, same strategy as the H gates, except you can clear them from even the slowest forward speed

* Expand-o-walls with narrow gaps: Focus on the gaps, forget anything else, small adjustments, no big moves sideways, try to keep forward momentum up

* Open-Close gates. These are just plain mean, you *must* keep forward momentum up, you cannot clear them moving slow, try to get ready for the next one timing wise immediately after clearing one. I can usually only do a couple in a row without dying.

Pastfinder

Had a tense go spanning two sessions, was going very well then started to fall apart and missed out on the next map bonus. Farmed out the squares more and managed one 56 delivery!

180+ delivered KING QUASAR 157,525

PAST.jpg.4bec53d3bad64a65d46a147e40a64a24.jpg1339136274_PASTFINDER157595.jpg.6018c340c37eb502fe8486bd067d52ae.jpg

Pathfinder

You can farm out points by shooting the walls but no point in that, well apart from the points eh?! 10 digit scoreboard no less!!

So I figure we'll play for levels completed...

Played level 0, seemed to have 1 piece left but couldn't see it anywhere. Played level 1, got the required number of radiation things but then I couldn't see what to do to end the level, I could shoot the mines, which turn into fires and then get Fire Pellets "FP" and put them out but everything else seemed indestructible? Also tried on level 15 (select to choose) and again got the radiation bit collected but the fires were burning out of control! (did see this square thing)

Anyone who crack this will get a bonus point or two ;)

[edt: the instructions say about destroying the "nuke" one of the status panel indicators tells you when it is safe to do this, if it is stronger than you it will pursue you]

PATH.jpg.30eb14f1b561812a36fe7110252d6841.jpg1475651439_PATHonFIRE.jpg.9f3c693ff87ef947de1486d4c256725f.jpg

• Like 1

15 hours ago, RedThunder said:

Path Finder

Pastfinder

So did you get anywhere as in finish a level by destroying a nuke?

14 hours ago, McKong said:

I have a cunning plan to get to the top! After making a delivery you either get radiation protection or better still invincibility so need to make a big deposit and then go for opening the top section. Need to figure out if those super-saucers are only in the top rows or just when you are trying to get there to open the map !

On 9/26/2019 at 12:17 PM, therealbountybob said:

So did you get anywhere as in finish a level by destroying a nuke?

I have a cunning plan to get to the top! After making a delivery you either get radiation protection or better still invincibility so need to make a big deposit and then go for opening the top section. Need to figure out if those super-saucers are only in the top rows or just when you are trying to get there to open the map !

Dont think I got very far as such... I think the score went high due to all my missed shots chasing the critters around the map.

I do like this game.... kind of has SS Achilles overtones ?

20 hours ago, RedThunder said:

Pathfinder

Level 4

Excellent game.

Put those fire out.

Level 4 so you did kill the nuke afterall?! OK will play again later. Trying to do another 3 levels for BOL to make 15 in total :)

Yes McKong think I have to set aside tonight for a long play on Pastfinder!

• Like 1