IGNORED

Mortal Kombat Sega CD problem

stringfellow

I have a model 1 genesis and model 1 sega cd and Mortal Kombat freezes at the sonic the hedgehog screen. It is my understanding that some model 1 units had Sony drives and some had JVC drives. Mortal Kombat works fine on Sony units but has my problem on JVC units. Apparently Aklaim would send out a different disc if you told them you had the JVC problem. I am wondering if there is a way to tell the difference by looking at the disc? I have tried 4 copies thus far with no luck. If anyone has a copy that will work for me let me know.

1 hour ago, Bruce Tomlin said:

Sounds more like a bug in the game startup that is simply incompatible with the earlier model. You'd think they would have tested on both, but ehhhh.

Guess you haven't tried to play the first release of Pier Solar from Watermelon on a model 1 segaCD? Seems the model 1 is a problem child for several releases. The first pressing of Pier Solar that has the CD to be used for the background music as you play, will skip all over the place on a model 1 but works fine on model 2, x'eye, and CDX. Escape 2042 has the same feature if you also have the dreamcast version of that game or download the OST from the author's website to burn your own, it will also not work on the model 1 but works fine on the model 2 variants. My understanding is that at least in Europe, the model 1 CD unit is decently rare and hard to come by so in the case of Pier Solar and Escape 2042, they only had access to model 2 variants of the CD to develop and test on.