IGNORED

Megaman 2 work in progress rough demo

skywaffle

Sorry the code is likely not commented too well.  I just try to learn as I go.  The background animations are done by updating a few grams on odd frames (using a counter variable), and using define with the varptr function.  The grams being defined are also tied to a variable that increases, so a larger amount get updated over so many frames.

The sprites are multiplexed for the spikes, to try to work around the sprite limitations.  I also had shots multiplexed for the same reason.

• 9 months later...

I was playing around with this again, and been trying to wrap my mind around how I could fade out a screen.   In the NES game, there is an area that smoothly darkens the screen to blackness, and lights back up when a torch enemy appears (albeit faster and smoother than what I had come up with).

I gave up trying to work color stack, as it just doesn't seem very doable with a scrolling screen.  My solution was to use an array and read one gram from the stage bitmaps and OR it against a dithered fade pattern, and once every stage gram is redefined, I advance to another more aggressive pattern.

I thought it was kind of cool, so I attached the binary and config file if anyone wanted to check it out.

If you press 7 on controller 2, it will turn off the cycling.

8 will set the screen to fade out, 9 will set the screen to fade in.

mm2test14.binmm2test14.cfg

Edited by skywaffle
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cmadruga said:

Clever trick and nice visual effect!

Thank you!  I will probably try to speed it up some, I am only defining one gram per frame, but could use 8 16 bit variables and do two.  I tend to use most 16 bit variables for temporary use anyways, so I would just have to rename all my others.  This would be a perfect effect for a Life Force clone (the first boss is revealed through a similar background dissolve).  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, skywaffle said:

I was playing around with this again, and been trying to wrap my mind around how I could fade out a screen.   In the NES game, there is an area that smoothly darkens the screen to blackness, and lights back up when a torch enemy appears (albeit faster and smoother than what I had come up with).

I gave up trying to work color stack, as it just doesn't seem very doable with a scrolling screen.  My solution was to use an array and read one gram from the stage bitmaps and OR it against a dithered fade pattern, and once every stage gram is redefined, I advance to another more aggressive pattern.

I thought it was kind of cool, so I attached the binary and config file if anyone wanted to check it out.

If you press 7 on controller 2, it will turn off the cycling.

8 will set the screen to fade out, 9 will set the screen to fade in.

mm2test14.bin 71.05 kB · 5 downloads mm2test14.cfg 292 B · 5 downloads

Couldn't resist making a video of it :)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 7/9/2020 at 2:27 PM, skywaffle said:

Thank you!  I will probably try to speed it up some, I am only defining one gram per frame, but could use 8 16 bit variables and do two.  I tend to use most 16 bit variables for temporary use anyways, so I would just have to rename all my others.  This would be a perfect effect for a Life Force clone (the first boss is revealed through a similar background dissolve).  

Can you show a sample with just a few tiles? I am not getting the concept of the OR with your bitmaps. But I do like it!