IGNORED

Atari 7800 SD Multi-cart announced by RetroHQ

Tidus79001

22 hours ago, batari said:

In my experince, the 64GB and larger SDXC cards can be formatted to FAT32 and used on flashcarts (and many other devices!) that normally only support up to 32GB SDHC cards, and you can use the entire space. You may need third party utilities to do this though, as Windows itself won't let you overwrite ExFat for some reason.

Yep, the 32GB limitation of FAT32 is an entirely artificial cap invented by Microsoft.  Depending on what parameters you use, FAT32 is actually good for partition sizes up to 2TB.  The more restrictive limit is the individual file size, which is 2GB or 4GB, depending on how smart your application is.  2GB is the safest limit.

16 hours ago, Shawn said:

Do you have any idea why some SD card devices only work with cards up to 2GB?  

Because anything above 2GB is considered SDHC, a different class of cards with different software/firmware (but not hardware) requirements.  Something programmed explicitly for SD won't know how to talk to cards larger than 2GB, but something programmed for both can use SD-era hardware to talk to an SDHC card.  When the Nintendo Wii came out, it could only use SD cards up to 2GB, but a system update later allowed for SDHC cards up to 32GB.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FujiSkunk said:

Yep, the 32GB limitation of FAT32 is an entirely artificial cap invented by Microsoft.  Depending on what parameters you use, FAT32 is actually good for partition sizes up to 2TB.  The more restrictive limit is the individual file size, which is 2GB or 4GB, depending on how smart your application is.  2GB is the safest limit.

Because anything above 2GB is considered SDHC, a different class of cards with different software/firmware (but not hardware) requirements.  Something programmed explicitly for SD won't know how to talk to cards larger than 2GB, but something programmed for both can use SD-era hardware to talk to an SDHC card.  When the Nintendo Wii came out, it could only use SD cards up to 2GB, but a system update later allowed for SDHC cards up to 32GB.

SD uses FAT16, and the size limit for that filesystem is 4GB. That said, there are some oddball 4GB SD cards out there that were released just before the SDHC spec, and I have heard reports of some who were able to format a SDHC card with FAT16, which might require making a 4GB (or smaller) partition if the card is larger. IMO it's not worth the effort to do this, but it is worth the effort to partition SDXC cards as FAT32 because as you said, you can use up to 2TB with it.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, CPUWIZ said:

My WiFi SD-card system can easily handle bigger SD cards.  No 2GB limit (like you would even need that much).  I think the one I have in there is 8GB, maybe more.

If you could get such a thing on an independent cartridge reading vanilla binaries (or .a78 headered) you would make bank on it. As for the wifi part? I think that would only interest a very narrow audience unless utilized with an app that can be tied to a website depository of files, which we have spoke of in the past :)

3 hours ago, Shawn said:

If you could get such a thing on an independent cartridge reading vanilla binaries (or .a78 headered) you would make bank on it. As for the wifi part? I think that would only interest a very narrow audience unless utilized with an app that can be tied to a website depository of files, which we have spoke of in the past :)

It doesn't need an App, it has a web server built in.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, CPUWIZ said:

It doesn't need an App, it has a web server built in.

I mean to use from the phone or tablet side of things like all the zombies seem to prefer. Having a dedicated android\IOS program to go along with it. While I don't own one of those Satan devices that is killing interpersonal skills one 4 inch screen at a time, I do realize 99 percent of the 1st and 2nd world does and prefers it that way. Just trying to think of others before myself here ;)

54 minutes ago, Shawn said:

I mean to use from the phone or tablet side of things like all the zombies seem to prefer. Having a dedicated android\IOS program to go along with it. While I don't own one of those Satan devices that is killing interpersonal skills one 4 inch screen at a time, I do realize 99 percent of the 1st and 2nd world does and prefers it that way. Just trying to think of others before myself here ;)

My phone is bigger than 4” ... ;)

That said, the FujiNet device put together by mozzwald, jamm and tschak99 might give some clues. It’s an EPS32-based board that connects to your LAN - it can connect to a server for accessing files to access on your A8 computer. In the case of FujiNet, that server can be on your LAN or even over the ‘net. In fact, you can connect to several servers at once independently and assign them to different drive slots, which is obviously not a consideration for a 7800. But it does show you the networking power available in a tiny, inexpensive device these days. 

The user Montezuma made a sio to bt app and kit for my 600xl. App was free and the kit was maybe 20 or 30 bucks. It could load programs from my phone via bt as virtual drives... I thought that was great and a hell of a deal but not too many people were into it as they went sio to sd or sio to pc.. always though the xm with the sio plug could possibly use something like that to load roms? Now the sio is not going to be installed etc and the xm is on a who knows how long wait that will probably never happen.

2 hours ago, Shawn said:

I've uploaded from my phone, you don't need an App.

1 hour ago, CPUWIZ said:

LMAO

I mostly make shit for myself, if i can't buy it.  I may route a PCB for my MP3 player, not sure yet.  Fuckload faster than VOX, but I need to finish a working proto first.

Correct. Which means you might as well have doom running at 60fps on the 7800 for all the good it does for anyone else. Your stuff is awesome but if you don't plan on sharing, it means zero to everyone else.

• 2 years later...
Just now, DrVenkman said:

Are you aware you’re responding to a post from over 3 years ago? :) 

They might not realize honestly. See, I've had old posts from AA come up in google searches as the top item in the list that takes a person straight to that old thread. And if they aren't paying attention to the dates they could very well think it is a modern/new thread discussing the details.

Just trying to see it from both perspectives here...