IGNORED

Consolized Switch

Cobra Strike Down

I did this a few months ago, but figured I'd share as I'm reacquainting myself with the forum. 

I personally can't stand the Switch as a portable. It's very poorly made, and it's cheap plastics etc. took away from one of Nintendo's best system libraries I can think of. Plus, I'm more of a console person anyway, so it was time to mod. 

I ended up selling my Switch, joycon, physical titles, accessories, etc and started off new. I found a Switch (system only) with a broken screen in rough physical condition. I took the system apart, and got rid of everything I didn't need. Unfortunately, the system won't work if the battery is disconnected, even if it's plugged in, so I needed to keep that in there despite it being a console. That being said, it was virtually the only hickup I came across. This system is remarkable in the fact it'll work with TONS disconnected from it, which really helps in the modding process.

I disconnected the screen, cartridge slot, most of the enclosure, etc. I also took off the power/reset board so I could relocate it. I disassembled an official Nintendo Switch dock, and got a ton of parts to have the HDMI be mountable, as well as the USBs. I had USB "holes" 3D printed for the rear. It has two USB in the rear for controller charging, etc. Micro sd card is 400gb and mounted internally. All my games are digital, as that's not only what I prefer (for the Switch), but also makes things convenient for the consolization. 

I securely mounted the mobo inside my enclosure, routed the dock's HDMI and USB to the rear (power simply exits from the rear), and re-routed the power/reset switch to the front of the enclosure (which was a major pain). The power/reset board has been permanently mounted, and the button's membrane was permanently mounted on the front on top of the board. The buttons looked weird there, but I like the look of the membranes, and they're super responsive. I used to have a smash bros pro controller, but now have an 8-bitdo sn30pro plus, which I absolutely love. Plus the grey matches the system quite nicely! 

No overheating issues now, no stupid tiny poorly built joycon to deal with (oh no, I'm missing out on Pokemon and Mario Party, shucks!), room for all the games I could ever buy, and a VERY small footprint to boot (smaller than it appears in pics) that looks better than the weird looking dock. 

Best yet, I really didn't spent a lot. The system was about 90 plus shipping, the enclosure was about 20, and the rest of the parts probably cost me under 30 bucks in total (take THAT Switch lite!). It was a fun project, and it's a form factor I wish was officially released. 

IMG_20190620_074329.jpg

IMG_20190620_074343.jpg

IMG_20190620_074325.jpg

IMG_20190620_074320.jpg

Edited by Cobra Strike Down
  • Like 1

It is noteworthy to add that the Switch will not work without the battery working at all. Even if it is connected. If that battery dies, the Switch will no longer function. Someone needs to get around that as this will certainly pose as an issue in the future. I remember creating a board that bypassed the battery requirement in a Gizmondo (so it could be used via wall power without a battery at all) and something like that would be ideal for a pure consolized Switch. I was kind of hoping Nintendo would just make one like Sony did with the Playstation TV but I am not holding my breath on that.

9 hours ago, Master Phruby said:

Why did you use such a big enclosure? That thing looks huge! 

8 hours ago, Shawn said:

Yep, a total abomination in my opinion. Huge waste of an otherwise good system.

If you read the post, the enclosure looks bigger than it actually is. It's literally barely able to fit the switch's motherboard within it. It's essentially the same footprint as a pro controller. I don't even think it's 6 inches wide.

Not much of a waste of a "good system", when the system I used was severely damaged to the point where the board inside and its battery was all that was really worth saving.

But thank you for the nice compliment. Just wow, would never call someone's project here an abomination. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Keatah said:

Don't pay any attention to him he likes to make insults. Sometimes crudely. At least that's been my personal experience.

No in fact I don't "like to make insults". I'm honest and straight forward, be it in regards to things that are negative or positive. 

• Like 3

On 10/7/2019 at 2:03 AM, Shawn said:

No in fact I don't "like to make insults". I'm honest and straight forward, be it in regards to things that are negative or positive. 

Oh the irony of you not liking how someone described your post...

Figured after over ten years you'd have changed just a bit, Shawn. Have a good one.

On 10/7/2019 at 7:53 AM, Gamemoose said:

Kudos on "switching" the Switch! I don't get the "waste of a good system" comment. You brought a dead system (essentially) back to life in a way you wanted. Don't see that as a waste for you!

Thank you. Small footprint, less money out of my pocket since I'm not paying for things I don't need, and one less console destined for the landfill saved. I'm happy.

• 1 month later...

I can't say I liek the final result not the reasonning behind it, but I have to congrats you on the job done, the testing that certainly went in finding what the system can work without, and the salvaging of a damaged system.

Any info on modding a system (such as replacing or bypassing the battery) is good to take!

• 2 weeks later...

What's the case? Looks like an early portable tv or something. I like it. I dislike the original switch, nice idea, but largely fails on all sides. Love the lite though, it's the handheld I was wanting (though a bit physically smaller would be nice) I'll be surprised if big n doesn't make a console only version. Just to bad transferring saves is such a hassle.