IGNORED

Flashback 9 Gold CFW to load roms and boxart from SD

On 3/20/2021 at 11:47 AM, KevinMos3 said:

IMG_1212b_sm.thumb.jpg.0c04211994fbcc5f99983f3a9dad4b7f.jpg

I absoulutely adore this. I want a X just because it looks better, but the 9 is so much easier to mod without a bunch of crap hanging off the back. This is a good middle ground.

I just wish we could get a newer version of Stella working on any of them.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TwoShedsWilson said:

I just wish we could get a newer version of Stella working on any of them.

Stella 6.1 is working on the LFBs. Its close to working for the AFBs. I'm hopeful that Rocketfan will figure it out.
The Nexus pack (with folders, a800, arcade, sega and nes support) is also working on the standard AFB9. Working on compatibility with the gold version now.

Edited by Draxxon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Atari Flashback NEXUS - V.0.4.0 (Atari FB9, Atari 7800 Update)

This pack will work on an Atari Flashback 9 HDMI Standard Edition, Flashback X and Flashback X Deluxe with CFW installed.
NOTE: It will NOT work on an Atari Flashback 9 HDMI Gold Edition.

https://atariage.com/forums/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=828047

Thanks to RMR_MD, Brad from the 80's, Rocketfan, Mr. Fister, Kevin M. and everyone else who has helped.

So that this doesnt get super confusing, and because this thread says "GOLD CFW", AFB9 HDMI standard 

edition owners will have to follow these updates on the AFBX thread after this. The above link is the same 

thing. All future packs will still be compatible. Please post feedback there. Thanks Again.

Edited by Draxxon

Atari Flashback NEXUS - V.0.4.1

https://atariage.com/forums/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=829386

Here is the newest pack. It has Stella 6.1. You have to use .26a for the file extension.
Atari Lynx and Turbo Grafx-16 cores have also been added.

Attention: Anyone with an Atari Flashback 9 Gold version and Brad's Custom Firmware from page 1.

Keep your current setup somewhere safe, but put ALL of these files in the NEXUS v4.1 archive on the

root of your sd card and please test and see if this pack works on AFB9Golds now. It should work for

ALL current AFB systems. 9 HDMI, 9 Gold, X and X Deluxe.

Follow this thread for updates, this time I'm serious, lololol. :) 

Atari Flashback X Custom Firmware for USB roms and boxart - AtGames Flashback and Portable Consoles - AtariAge Forums

• Like 1

Hi, I've just acquired an AFB9 and I'm looking forward to trying out NEXUS, but before I do may I ask about a decent SD-Card to use, I was rummaging around for one and I came up dry... I'm trying a 4GB microSD one I have found in adaptor now after a format ( FAT? ) but It didn't boot the last time... but we'll see, all I have are 32GB+ MicroSD cards everywhere... ahh well, off I trot down to town, cheers

On 4/4/2021 at 11:05 PM, Draxxon said:

Atari Flashback NEXUS - V.0.4.1

https://atariage.com/forums/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=829386 429.38 MB · 26 downloads

Here is the newest pack. It has Stella 6.1. You have to use .26a for the file extension.
Atari Lynx and Turbo Grafx-16 cores have also been added.

Attention: Anyone with an Atari Flashback 9 Gold version and Brad's Custom Firmware from page 1.

Keep your current setup somewhere safe, but put ALL of these files in the NEXUS v4.1 archive on the

root of your sd card and please test and see if this pack works on AFB9Golds now. It should work for

ALL current AFB systems. 9 HDMI, 9 Gold, X and X Deluxe.

Follow this thread for updates, this time I'm serious, lololol. :) 

Atari Flashback X Custom Firmware for USB roms and boxart - AtGames Flashback and Portable Consoles - AtariAge Forums

I have the AFB9 Gold and I just installed this new core pack. Congrats to everyone who made this because it does work on the AFB9 Gold. However, much the new emulation (LFB & LYNX) simply doesn't work well with the classic single button Atari joystick. I do LOVE having the Atari 7800 working on this as well as the NES (the single fire button games). I'm interested in just an Atari 2600, 7800, NES (Arcade) front end and the AFB Gold menu seems to be already doing this. It would be great if that could be default Main Menu. Any suggestions? I'll play around with what's here. Keep up the good work!

you can remove anything you dont want. 
Delete the folder of games you dont want (or just leave it on the sd card), then go into /rom/all-games.ini. Edit it with notepad. Remove the link to the folder you just deleted (or didnt delete, but dont want to show up).

it will be way easier for me to add everything that works and users remove what they dont want than for me to build custom packs or users to start their own pack from scratch.

Having said all of that, I have no issues with users taking the NEXUS pack and streamlining it (maybe atari only stuff) and re-releasing it. People had been doing that with the old A.T.A.R.I. packs and I didn't mind, I understand. 

One thing to keep in mind is all of this stuff works AS IS on the LFBs. Everything is also getting added to the LFB units behind the scenes. So some of these other system's 1-button games you see in the pack are trickling down from the other project.

Edited by Draxxon

31 minutes ago, Draxxon said:

you can remove anything you dont want. 
Delete the folder of games you dont want, go into /rom/all-games.ini. Edit it with notepad. Remove the link to the folder you just deleted.

it will be way easier for me to add everything that works and users remove what they dont want than for me to build custom packs or users to start their own pack from scratch.

Great! Thanks for the help.

lets say you want to remove lynx....

the /rom/all-games.ini entry looks like this...

[Atari Lynx]
File=/rom/rom_lynx.goto
Platform=Utility
Sort=8
Year=2021
Genre=unclassified
Description=Switch to Atari lynx games.
Note= \
Please do not turn off the system while restarting.

you can delete the /rom_lynx folder and this entry (edit the all-games file w/ notepad) and it will go away.

another way to do it is DONT delete the folder and change the entry to this...

,Atari Lynx]
,File=/rom/rom_lynx.goto
,Platform=Utility
,Sort=8
,Year=2021
,Genre=unclassified
,Description=Switch to Atari lynx games.
,Note= \
,Please do not turn off the system while restarting.

that way you can add it back later if you change your mind. you can remove individual games the same way.

I encourage everyone to take the NEXUS pack and run with it! I know my packs are "overkill". lol.

Make whatever you feel is awesome and share it with the rest of us.

Edited by Draxxon
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Obiw4n said:

Hi, I've just acquired an AFB9 and I'm looking forward to trying out NEXUS, but before I do may I ask about a decent SD-Card to use, I was rummaging around for one and I came up dry... I'm trying a 4GB microSD one I have found in adaptor now after a format ( FAT? ) but It didn't boot the last time... but we'll see, all I have are 32GB+ MicroSD cards everywhere... ahh well, off I trot down to town, cheers

All sorted now and I've been having a blast, amazing, thanks for this it's just fantastic.

4 hours ago, Draxxon said:

lets say you want to remove lynx....

the /rom/all-games.ini entry looks like this...

[Atari Lynx]
File=/rom/rom_lynx.goto
Platform=Utility
Sort=8
Year=2021
Genre=unclassified
Description=Switch to Atari lynx games.
Note= \
Please do not turn off the system while restarting.

you can delete the /rom_lynx folder and this entry (edit the all-games file w/ notepad) and it will go away.

another way to do it is DONT delete the folder and change the entry to this...

,Atari Lynx]
,File=/rom/rom_lynx.goto
,Platform=Utility
,Sort=8
,Year=2021
,Genre=unclassified
,Description=Switch to Atari lynx games.
,Note= \
,Please do not turn off the system while restarting.

that way you can add it back later if you change your mind. you can remove individual games the same way.

I encourage everyone to take the NEXUS pack and run with it! I know my packs are "overkill". lol.

Make whatever you feel is awesome and share it with the rest of us.

The comment character is the comma ‘,’. Odd choice. 
why not hash # or dash -.

It is a very similar device. I have never owned one. I have the actual sega brand mini classic.
But, it could probably be done. But that isnt anything I would be working on. I have LFBs going on as 

a side project already and I need to still add games to my legends core gamer.

EDIT: Look at this s***

Capture.PNG

Edited by Draxxon

I have a MD Mini too, but not using it cause the ui is better on the MDFB 2018 and you don't have to have the games in folders on the UI, it has a category called Bonus and I use that for Mega CD Games.
I was able to get a shell of a Mega CD and cut it down to the same size width as the MD Flashback and cut a slot on its side of the MDFB so it fits and then put a MD 32X(The 32X does work, had it from the 90s, it was always in its box until now.. :) ) on top so its a SEGA Mega-Dora Mega Drive Tower... :) You get to the SD Card on the right side, I made a carboard panel that can be moved (you can see it in the picture, on the right) so I can get to the SD Card, the front pane where it says Mega CD I made, I pointed it out on my Printer and used packing clear tape on it so it was like it was laminated, it does have LEDs behind the Ready and Access on the front, but probably would only need Ready LED on to make it look like its on and working, just need to find a place on the MD Flashbacks board.

20210412_215236.thumb.jpg.8ebf26de36cfa2d6165fe9fa31d06510.jpg

Edited by Spanner
  • Like 1

Did the Atari Flashbacks ever had a cartridge slot, cause the MD does and does work, well it dumps the cart into the UI, I am sure it can read as well Master System carts too, all AtGames console are the same and have the same hardware SoC inside them, that why they use the same UI Retroplayer Retromenu, and have a Rocket Chip RK3066 SoC.
You could properly use the MD Game Manager with the Atari Flashback 9 and X if you could add .a26 files into it, cause it uses the allgames.ini file and makes it.

I wouldn't say the UI is better on a flashback than any major brand mini. not even the c64.

plus you can run emulation station on the sega mini. Also, I add so many games to my units, folders are a must.

dont forget AtGames sega sound emulation is sub par.

I have nothing against a SGFB at $40-50 bucks. $250 is crazy. your better with a sega for ~$90

Also, aside from the shell and cart port, your better off with a LFB for $40 or a Legends Gamer $60 and up.

You can add a cart slot to the AFB2s.

makeini.bat from the LFB also will generate an ini file. I dont think the MD Game Manager has much to offer the AFBs at this point, because so much has already been added manually.

Edited by Draxxon

3 hours ago, Spanner said:

Can you do the themes on the Genesis Flashback 2018 too..?

Yes.  I did a few that I think are pretty nice.  If anyone is interested, I can look for them to share.  I had an SD card set up absolutely perfectly, but my PC corrupted it several months ago when I went to add a game.  Never was able to recover my files and unfortunately, most of that SD card was never backed up... but I'm sure I have the theme files somewhere.

The 2018 Sega Flashback performs even better than the stock Sega Mini, believe it or not.  The Genplus GX does more solid emulation than the the emulator by M2.  Once you load the CFW on the FB, you can play SegaCDs flawlessly as well, even in CHD format which saves a lot of space on the SD card.  The emulator doesn't support 32X, but there is a Picodrive version of the CFW for that.  However, I didn't find the tradeoff worth it for the Picodrive emulator, since 32X emulation was still not 100% and you lose CHD format support for SegaCDs.  I don't know if there was any improvement made to that one since.

I cant imagine that the SGFB is better than the Sega mini. My LFB isnt better than the sega mini. I would think the LFB is better than the SGFB. The CHDs are a plus, but I have a 128GB flashdrive in my sega mini. LFB only allows up to 32GB sd card.

I also cant imagine that the sound emulation or controllers are better either. Although I have OEM 6 button retro-bit sega pads for each.

I'm opened minded, and again, I don't own one. I suppose maybe stock vs stock. but none of my minis are stock. Hacked vs Hacked is sega mini all day in my opinion.

Edited by Draxxon

In 2018, AtGames finally did it right with the Sega FB.  The cart dumper was actually more compatible on the 2017 version, but everything else about the 2018 model blows 2017 away.  The emulator in the Sega Mini is by M2 and they did a great job... but it's not quite as good of an emulator as the more mature GenesisPlusGX.  AtGames gets crapped on a lot for their less-than-stellar products over the years, so some people had a hard time believing the 2018 model was any better.  The interface on the Sega Mini is certainly better, but the only way you're going to get better game performance from it is to use a different emulator than the built in one (yes, I know you can load libretro).  But, if you're comparing accuracy of the built-in emulators for the two consoles, the Sega FB actually beats the Sega mini.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/19/2019 at 12:37 AM, mamebr said:

This will reach 6000 games. I find time lost and very ugly. I understand creating boxart for official games that don't have real art available, for pirate games I can't understand.

Check out Nostradamus over here. LMMFAO. 

NEXUS V.0.5.2 is out.

Edited by Draxxon

• 1 year later...
On 3/20/2021 at 3:47 PM, KevinMos3 said:

You also could 3D print a new faceplate to cover the old one and buy 5 toggle switches, some on/off others momentary on. And make it look like an Original, Just a bit of soldering. But I do like your the look you made better than the original.