IGNORED

Flashback 9 Gold CFW to load roms and boxart from SD

Updated AFB9Gold Theme for the regular AFB9HDBoom

https://www.filehosting.org/file/details/833077/Gold Theme.rar

updated a few more things, like making the page numbers readable.

I cant delete or edit the previous post because I'm new here, apologies.

Edited by Draxxon
make message more clear

Might not be the best place to share this, but I didn't think it warranted its own thread...

Custom firmware Flashback 9 Gold needed a little custom woodgrain.  Not sure I like it, but maybe if I 3D print some black buttons.  I've been trying to decide what might look best.  I was thinking about maybe some kind of silver colored inlays in black custom buttons (probably leaving the power button as the stock red).

IMG_1136_sm.jpg

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, KevinMos3 said:

Might not be the best place to share this, but I didn't think it warranted its own thread...

Custom firmware Flashback 9 Gold needed a little custom woodgrain.  Not sure I like it, but maybe if I 3D print some black buttons.  I've been trying to decide what might look best.  I was thinking about maybe some kind of silver colored inlays in black custom buttons (probably leaving the power button as the stock red).

IMG_1136_sm.jpg

That is cool looking! How did you do this? I once though of using some kind of adhesive paper with a woodgrain design to do this. But never got around to it.

1 hour ago, radiohead said:

That is cool looking! How did you do this? I once though of using some kind of adhesive paper with a woodgrain design to do this. But never got around to it.

Thanks! I did exactly that -- printed on glossy sticker paper and laminated it.  ?

If ppl are interested, I can upload my printable image.

I kinda think I prefer the limited wood look of it without my little woodgrain mod.  It looks a bit more modern like that.  But that's what good about this just being a sticker; I can easily remove it it I tire of it.

I've thought about removing the brown paint (woodgrain) from my other standard Flashback 9 HD and painting silver over the brown painted trim around the button area, for more of a Vader look.

P.S.

I also got some lead sinkers, the large egg PEG-6 SZ:1 ones from Walmart.  I hammered them into rectangles and glued them into the four bottom corners inside the shell.  That gave it enough weight to feel nicer when handling it.  I also added some sinkers inside the joysticks.

Edited by KevinMos3

20 minutes ago, KevinMos3 said:

Thanks! I did exactly that -- printed on glossy sticker paper and laminated it.  ?

If ppl are interested, I can upload my printable image.

If you already have a template, I would certainly be interested. Figuring out the joystick socket alignments in the printed sticker paper kept me from doing it.

Here you go.  It's 600dpi (a bit overkill with many printers, but mine does nice at that resolution). You might want to adjust the hue/brightness/contrast to your liking on your printer.  I haven't compared this woodgrain to one of my actual 2600s' since they're in storage, but it's fine for now.  I may eventually reprint it with a different pattern. 

If you are careful to cut out the black for the joystick ports, they should line up.  The start of the wood pattern should line up with your Flashback's front bottom.  I left a little excess (approx 1mm or so) at the far left and right, but the rest should be cut with no overage.  The top wraps around.

237693900_FlashbackFrontWoodgrainPrint600dpi.thumb.png.24700f5827ec6a5f2715733182999650.png

• Thanks 3

https://www.filehosting.org/file/details/835372/AFB9.rar

I added Masters of the Universe, Double Dragon, Jr. Pac-Man and Mario Bros. box art and instructions for the .ini file.
I also added alternate box art for Donkey Kong and The Packed in Arcade Style Frogger. I did this on the non Gold version.

So, I tried the AF9HDGold CFW on the regular AFB9HDBoom and it worked. Been testing for a few hours and haven't had any issues with there not being wireless joysticks on this unit. So that's gonna be better than anything I was working on.

I also saw the google drive link a page back that had the few games I added already finished. So, sorry for that guys.

I've been adding a few more games not implemented yet, and ill share those when I am finished.

Artwork and ini file for 300+ games:

Added the rest of the Activision games.

Added the rest of the paddle games.

Added games from the AFBP and the AFBX that are missing from the AFB9Gold.

Added the majority of games requested by Chad here on page 2.

Game descriptions and controls still need to be added to the ini file. I Just added an empty entry to get the games to appear on the UI under either the paddle section or the Activision section.

rom.rar

Edited by Draxxon
  • Like 1

I figure the CFW are probably interchangeable, but you probably wouldn't want to use the standard HD model firmware on your Gold unit.  At minimum you'd lose a few built-in games and have an arguably plainer menu, and I'm not sure if you'd then have problems with wireless controllers.  The reverse situation is probably no big deal.

I like the custom bezel, and all the ini file entry contributions.  ?

I still don't have an FB X.  Maybe by my Christmas break, and then I can enable similar capabilities.

• Like 1

So, it looks like a firmware update (Released Dec. 3) is available for the regular Atari Flashback X on the AtGames Website.

Here it is below. Trying to figure out how to use it. I have regular version (AR3060) of the console. There isn't an update for the Deluxe AKA Special Edition (AR3060) yet. 

This shit looks intense.

http://legendsultimate.atgames.net/afz/AtariFlashbackX-FirmwareUpgrade.pdf

0.1.18.img

Edited by Draxxon

It adds OTG cable and "Game" folder with roms via USB drive support.
Also in the future, I can flash the system with the OTG/USB drive.

I won't have to open the unit and hold the recovery button on the board anymore.

Should we make a new thread for the FBX unit?

78187218_748115015705284_5064873173451800576_n.jpg

Edited by Draxxon
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Draxxon said:

It adds OTG cable and "Game" folder with roms via USB drive support.
Also in the future, I can flash the system with the OTG/USB drive.

I won't have to open the unit and hold the recovery button on the board anymore.

Should we make a new thread for the FBX unit?

78187218_748115015705284_5064873173451800576_n.jpg

Great info.  IDK about a dedicated thread as shouldn't the CFW be fairly similar to the FB9?

This will be my last upload for the Atari Flashback 9, as I am now working on the X unit.

Close to 400 games with artwork and ini file.

Added the remaining requested roms by chad (remaining Imagic titles).

Added Unknown Activision (and other companies) Prototypes.

Added some interesting titles that were missing (like Asterix and Sinistar).

Added some games with liscensed characters (like Garfield and Road Runner).

I also Replaced many of the boxart thumbnails for games already implemented with higher quality images. I also changed the sorting name of some titles so they would show up in the proper places in alphabetical order. I created a few custom boxarts for games like Bloody Human Freeway and Star Wars Ewok Adventure, and a few others. The menu thumbnails, overall, look much cleaner.

rom.rar

6 hours ago, DoctorMikeReddy said:

Do you think an OTG hack/firmware update might be possible for the Genesis/MegaDrive 2017?

It is, but the device is totally different from the Genesis FB 2018/Atari FB9/X/Legends Flashback. It has an older/slower processor and the OS is Android instead of Linux. 

The device can run RetroArch (after a lot of tweaking in the source code) with some cores, and it's possible to hack the menu apk to load a different emulator instead of the native emulator. I've been testing this for a while, and I CFW might be ready for release soon.

• Like 1