IGNORED

New game released: Jet Set Willy 2019

Tezz

15 hours ago, Tezz said:

I did yea, I spoke with him for a few minutes after his talks. He's always been famously elusive so I never expected to get the chance to meet him in person. I was glad to hear he was such an Atari fan. Matthew is brilliantly eccentric and highly intelligent although life hasn't treated him as well as he deserved and by his own admission he also hasn't looked after himself well either over the years. One highlight meeting Matthew was him signing "I didn't get paid for this" on all the cassette covers that people had asked him to sign :)

He looked a little rough in some youtube vids but he seemed alright there ?

Damn this game is hard... I used to play a lot of Manic Miner but JSW was a little too much.

• Like 2

Read up a little on Matt Smith and watched some video's, I think its clear addiction to certain things is what lead him to a commune but from his mannerisms and talking I'd say he's very much on the autistic spectrum....

As for his games, was never a Spectrum owner but dabbled via emulation and a gamebase and found his games rock hard, clever but rock hard...Some of the other Spectrum games were very clever considering the hardwares lacking but colour clash just put me off...

But Tezz has managed to bring the game to us and make it stand out...

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, TheNameOfTheGame said:

Quoting myself since I got off my butt and tried it out on hardware.

Can confirm it does NOT work on NTSC hardware even with a PAL Antic. :(

I have a NTSC 800XL with an NTSC GTIA and a PAL Antic installed. I edited the game using Omnivore and changed value $D014 to $D013. It is now playing nicely on my 800xl. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Tezz,

I just wanted to say as an average 8-bit fan, thank you so much for your work here. I downloaded last night and played through some, when I get some time this week I'll continue.

I think it's great that we have a community and talented programmers that keep the platform lively with contributions to this day. 40 years on and I'm still enjoying the 8bit because of people like yourself. Awesome!

• Like 2

13 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

It does the PAL test and shuts the door on NTSC... So without a PAL machine you aren't going to see much...

I really wish programmers would PLEASE stop doing this. PAL software would run just fine on ANTIC-swapped machines that still appear to be NSTC at $D014.

• Like 2

I don't have a problem with doing the check, it can give a warning, and can still be used to make changes for the difference between the two systems etc...

the problem is when the check is not used to choose what internal path the software needs to take but rather to stop the program running on the machine entirely...

so check, if miss-match warning, continue with or without region specific code executing.

That's always been a good course to follow.

3 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

I don't have a problem with doing the check, it can give a warning, and can still be used to make changes for the difference between the two systems etc...

the problem is when the check is not used to choose what internal path the software needs to take but rather to stop the program running on the machine entirely...

so check, if miss-match warning, continue with or without region specific code executing.

That's always been a good course to follow.

Agreed. This is exactly what I meant. The population of these hybrid machines is large enough (and growing, especially if the Antix board is released) that they should be taken into account. Simply aborting the program based on the $D014 register denies a lot of us the ability to enjoy software on a machine that is perfectly capable of running it.

Oh well, not trying to hijack this thread. Back to enjoying this very nice piece of work! In emulation, for the time being...

Edited by adam242
  • Like 1

I used a similar method to play sound fx from the zx spectrum version in Higway Encounter, this has one drawback, the atari psp emulator can't play these sounds correctly (like collen on Android).I used a similar method to play fx from the zx spectrum version in Higway Encounter, this has one drawback, the atari psp emulator can't play these sounds correctly (like collen on Android).

Thanks for all the comments.

On 10/6/2019 at 6:18 AM, Sugarland said:

Great news! Would it be possible to have both music and sound effects at the same time by utilizing 2nd pokey, please?

Perhaps, I can certainly look into that.

On 10/6/2019 at 8:09 AM, Nezgar said:

Another idea could be the GTIA console speaker "fifth audio channel" for beeps and blips - but then you're back to heavy stealing of CPU cycles to drive that 1 bit audio like the spectrum, apple etc..

There's no chance of using the GTIA beeper for the sound effects unfortunately. As you correctly said use of the GTIA beeper is the same as the Spectrum beeper with CPU hogging loops and with my version of the game being developed for single frame 50/60Hz that's not an option. Furthermore there's the issue of DMA contention in this mode.

3 hours ago, Jacques said:

I wonder what they might be and if they include Barbarian

Yes :)

with regard to NTSC support, as mentioned I haven't got around to making the nessasary ammendments for NTSC yet but I thought I might as well initially release the game for the PAL users in the interim with the usual $d014 check. I know that there are hybrid users out there that will be affected but it's just an initial release to get the game out there. I'll work to get the final PAL and NTSC version completed next.

Tezz ;)

Edited by Tezz
  • Like 8

As for using 2 pokeys for both sound and music, it would be good to have keyboard option to freely enable/disable them, so you can have MSX+SFX, MSX, SFX or silence. With default just MSX on 1 pokey and let's say MSX+SFX on 2 pokeys.

Speaking of keyboard, maybe there would be a chance to add such way to play?

In original it's (methinks):

Left    - Q, E, T, U, O         Joystick left
Right   - W, R, Y, I, P         Joystick right
Jump    - Z to M, SPACE         Joystick up

But LEFT/RIGHT arrow + space and/or left shift  would be great :)

Edited by Jacques

2 hours ago, McKong said:

Just playing and the game crashed both times I tried to exit the left hand side of the 'Dr. Jones room. 

I'm using the xex file on a stock PAL 800XL. Tried it in my Ultimate cart and SIO2SD, same result. Haven't tried the ATR file yet.

Thanks for the catch there, it appears to be the during the prepared compression for the released executable. I was able to reproduce the freeze under Atari800Win+ although all is fine under Altirra and my 600XL with U1Mb. I'll look into the cause today.