IGNORED

Atari Flashback 9 vs 9 Deluxe vs Atari Flashback X

I havent looked deep into it but I think the retron 77 is working with stella 6 so I'm still leaning towards it as an hdmi atari emulation box. Even that will depend on what the collectorvision Phoenix can muster as far as their 2600 core can support, a console I should be receiving soon.

I've always said that these flashbacks need a current stable version of stella and the ability to put my own roms on it for me to get on board. Paddle support is a plus too which I'm not sure the others mentioned do either.

Edited by AtariLeaf

I suspect his FB9 is defective in some way (can't imagine in what way, though) since it appears to happen across multiple displays. There's no difference between any of the HDMI versions of the FB9. I really don't know what the solution might be in that case, especially if updating the firmware does nothing in regards to the issue.

17 minutes ago, Jimmygtr said:

Thank you Bill for confirming but emoji3525.png. I presume the hardware isn't prepared for 6.x?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

It's my understanding it might be doable, but it would take a lot of effort. I don't personally know the challenges.

• Like 1

On 10/23/2019 at 6:13 AM, atarifan88 said:

I have the FB9 Gold and there is not delayed audio problem.  Maybe this is only present in the regular FB9 HDMI?

I'm guessing you just haven't noticed the audio delay on the FB9.  Pay close attention to all sounds.  There is a slight delay.

If someone can confirm that the Flashback X does not have any audio delay, then I'd gladly pick one up.

3 minutes ago, Jimmygtr said:

Any chance the delay is tied to the TV or media system?

It looks like the slight audio delay in Pitfall has been confirmed internally, but it does indeed vary by display. An update is being planned.

Edited by Bill Loguidice
Typo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jimmygtr said:

Any chance the delay is tied to the TV or media system?

No.  The exact same TV using the same input with the same HDMI cable hooked to a Retron 77 does not have the audio delay.

59 minutes ago, Bill Loguidice said:

It looks like the slight audio delay in Pitfall has been confirmed internally, but it does indeed vary by display. An update is being planned.

That's great that they have confirmed it internally.  All FB9 games have the issue, not just Pitfall.  It even looks like the audio when moving around the menu system itself is delayed the same which leads me to believe that it is a delay problem overall with all audio on the Flashback 9.  Hopefully they release a firmware update to minimize this issue.

Here is a visual waveform analysis comparing the Retron 77 and the Flashback 9 HDMI.

Using the same HDMI cable plugged into the same TV input.  Also using the same Joystick.  The ONLY difference is the Retron 77 vs. the Flashback 9.

The spike at 3.00 is the pressing of the fire button... after that is the sound of Pitfall Harry jumping.

The audio of the jumping sound on the Retron 77 plays .20 seconds after the button press.

The audio of the jumping sound on the Flashback 9 plays .37 seconds after the button press.

Retron77-FB9-Audio-Delay-Compare.png.3ff61259e334763e9d09a96286ef619a.png

Edited by chad5200
typo
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, chad5200 said:

I'm guessing you just haven't noticed the audio delay on the FB9.  Pay close attention to all sounds.  There is a slight delay.

If someone can confirm that the Flashback X does not have any audio delay, then I'd gladly pick one up.

Went back and played it again and no delay on my end.  Not sure if it could be a delay in your TV.  Did you set it to "game mode?"  Good luck!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chad5200 said:

Here is a visual waveform analysis comparing the Retron 77 and the Flashback 9 HDMI.

Using the same HDMI cable plugged into the same TV input.  Also using the same Joystick.  The ONLY difference is the Retron 77 vs. the Flashback 9.

The spike at 3.00 is the pressing of the fire button... after that is the sound of Pitfall Harry jumping.

The audio of the jumping sound on the Retron 77 plays .20 seconds after the button press.

The audio of the jumping sound on the Flashback 9 plays .37 seconds after the button press.

Retron77-FB9-Audio-Delay-Compare.png.3ff61259e334763e9d09a96286ef619a.png

If you are complaining about less than a quarter second delay, I think that is being a little critical.  Maybe that's why most people, including myself haven't noticed it.  Do you experience any lag in the controller?  That would be something which would make or break enjoyment of a game.

Edited by atarifan88
  • Like 1

On 10/25/2019 at 7:12 PM, Bill Loguidice said:

It's my understanding it might be doable, but it would take a lot of effort. I don't personally know the challenges.

I have not tried compiling or running Stella 6 for the device so far, but I've poked around the FB 9 a bit.  A few basic issues I've noticed.  The version of SDL2 library on the device is compiled to use OpenGL library (as opposed to OpenGL ES), which is not present or supported on the device.  Attempts to create an OpenGL ES screen through SDL fails because attempts but can't load full OpenGL.  Bypassing SDL, attempts to run a test app linked against just OpenGL ES fails due to an X server abort.  The kernel claims to be loading the Mali driver, but the included Mali user space driver is the X Window version, which would seem to have unnecessary performance dragging overhead were it even functional.  I've not yet continued exploring to see whether this is resolvable via customization/configuration, but in basically stock state it seems it will not work.