IGNORED

Wal-Mart may be clearancing FB 9's for $35

I wandered through the Electronics department at the local Wal-Mart and saw their Flashback 9's on clearance for $35. It was tempting for me but I'm wrestling with the urge to grab this or going with the more expensive Retron 77 for a no-media solution. The 77 can handle the new ARM-based homebrew and (if I read right) unmodified paddles, so that is seemingly more "future proof".

Still, it's a sweet deal for the FB.

They're even cheaper on Ebay. 

The new one, with 110 games and a cute enclosure, has been spotted in the wild. No SD card slot on it so there's no known way to add games to it. 

There's also a new Flashback Legends with 100 games, including the best stuff from the Colecovision Flashback and a mess of 16-bit Disney games, including the Super Star Wars trilogy. 

• 2 weeks later...

My Phoenix Walmart had a bunch of FB9's and Legends marked at $35, but luckily I thought to scan them and they were $21, so I bought a couple more Legends.

Probably worth it for the controllers alone.  rmr md really opened up the possibilities for this thing - GEN, MAME 2000, NES, SMS.  Already a great deal.  Soon we'll see whether the SNES can be opened up since the Star Wars games are obviously there.

12 minutes ago, Bartman72 said:

My Phoenix Walmart had a bunch of FB9's and Legends marked at $35, but luckily I thought to scan them and they were $21, so I bought a couple more Legends.

Probably worth it for the controllers alone.  rmr md really opened up the possibilities for this thing - GEN, MAME 2000, NES, SMS.  Already a great deal.  Soon we'll see whether the SNES can be opened up since the Star Wars games are obviously there.

My local store seemed to either get more in or just pulled from back stock to fill the bottom of an end cap.

It's really tempting for that price and just mod my paddles. I'm still consolidating and having these minis (I have SNES and NES) gives me decent classic gaming without taking up a lot of space.

Bought a spare Flashback 9 and Legends Flashback for $11, but my Legends Flashback has a menu button that does nothing.

My track record with these two systems has been lousy (Both my originals were partially faulty). I wasn't going to test my spare FB9's SD card slot, but maybe I better reconnect it and update the firmware now rather than discover years from now that it was DOA.

Edited by Atariboy