IGNORED

BASIC XL Extensions + U1MB + SIDE 2 not working

There is a note about the BXL Toolkit in the Fall 1986 Newsletter (side A) under the New BXL Bugs. 

https://atariwiki.org/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=Newsletters

If you have an early BXL 1.02, you need one toolkit and if you have a later 1.02 or 1.03, then you need another.  (So there were at least two carts and two toolkits).  You also need the stock XL/XE OS for them to work correctly as opposed to some patched OS like hi-speed, reverse Basic, etc. which will cause lockup.  My original Toolkit was for an Orange 1.02.  AFAIK, all orange BXL carts are 1.02.  I believe that some early black ones were also 1.02, although most all are 1.03. Of course, these toolkits were for an Atari-style dos.   

My original manual had a typed label inserted that says "MOVE $570,C4,4" so what you patch (or not) may be determined by what version you have.  My original disk (unpatched, I believe) works only with the cart 1.02.  It locks up with Black 1.03.  My toolkit (patched) for 1.03 works with Panos' 5-in-1. It also works with another Black BXL cart V1.03.  This cart also fails with the Toolkit 1.02.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you all so much!

When reading the 1st post, I immediately recall the newsletters for that, then I saw post #26. Thank you Larry, again(!)...

Further, you are right, we have to go through all(!) OSS newsletters and insert the found news into the Wiki. I have done some stuff regarding this for MAC/65, but OSS delivered much more...

So, the to-to list ist getting bigger and bigger, instead of going down to zero... OMG...

@Larry: we now have the Pascal Validation Suite, so we are able to test the ISO for Kyan... Will keep you up to date. Busy for PLATO and the general assembly for ABBUC now.

5 hours ago, Larry said:

My original manual had a typed label inserted that says "MOVE $570,C4,4" so what you patch (or not) may be determined by what version you have.  My original disk (unpatched, I believe) works only with the cart 1.02.  It locks up with Black 1.03.  My toolkit (patched) for 1.03 works with Panos' 5-in-1. It also works with another Black BXL cart V1.03.  This cart also fails with the Toolkit 1.02.

It would be awesome to add this detail (and extra toolkit!) to AtariWiki!

• 5 months later...

Thanks Larry, that is of great help:

OSS Newsletter                                               Fall 1986
     --------------                                               ---------

BASIC XL Bugs and Fixes
                            -----------------------

BUG: Version 1.03 doesn't seem to work with the extensions on the
          ToolKit.
     FIX: This is true only for early versions of the ToolKit.  If you have
          Vers. 1.03 and the ToolKit extensions work, then don't apply this
          fix.
               100 F$="D:EXTEND.COM":N=$02d6:Gosub 130
               110 F$="D:AUTORUN.SYS":N=$039f:Gosub 130
               120 End 
               130 Unprotect F$:Open #1,12,0,F$
               140   For I=1 To N:Get #1,C:Next I
               150 Put #1,9:Close #1:Protect F$
               160 Return

BUG: Any program reference to line number 0 (e.g. Goto 0, If X=1 Then
          0) will not be RENUMbered.  This applies even if a previous RENUM
          created the reference (i.e. you did a RENUM 0,xx).
     FIX: There is no practicable solution.  Simply don't use a starting
          line number of 0 when you NUM or RENUM.

BUG: You want to make sure that you're not in FAST mode.
     FIX: Make the following the first line in your program:
               10 IF PEEK($B9)&$80 THEN DEL 0
          $B9 is BASIC XL's FAST flag, and the DEL statement turns off FAST
          mode.  You can't have a line 0 in your program if you want to use
          this fix.

Thank to the gigantic help from 'kind soul', we now seem to have a solution for the problems, please see:

https://atariwiki.org/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=Basic XL#section-Basic+XL-ATRImages

Honestly, up to 2020, I even didn't know, there were 2 different toolkits! Great finding! Thank you so much robdaemon and 'kind soul', what a discovery! ? Great!

• 3 weeks later...

I've always had a soft spot in my heart for BXL and BXE!  BXL was the first interpreter to provide significant improvements to Atari 8K BASIC.  I can still remember getting that orange cartridge, and writing useful utilities, especially using the String Array feature.  There have been quite a few programs and articles written about how to "work around" the lack of string arrays in Atari BASIC, but none are as elegant as the built-in solution in BXL and BXE.

-Larry