IGNORED

Nomad vs Genesis

bluejay

What do you think is better, overall, the Nomad or the Genesis? I used to think Sega games were bad, but I decided that I must give Sega a chance to prove me wrong, so I'm planning on getting a Genesis. But then, I found a Nomad in the wild, that came with all the original manuals and warranty stuff. I'm a big fan of portable consoles, and the Nomad's rarity also attracted me. What would rather you get, if you have the money to buy one but not both?

If you're a fan of portable gaming, then the Nomad may be a good choice for you. You can still hook it up to a TV, if you don't want to play on the Nomad screen. The only bad thing is that using the Nomad as a controller isn't likely to be as comfortable as holding a Genesis controller.

If you are okay with modding systems, adding in a new screen is pretty easy (you can get a cheap LCD that takes composite input and wire it in). I believe that there are some higher quality screens being worked on (maybe they're out now—I haven't checked in a while).

One thing you'll want to check on the Nomad is to ensure it comes with the battery pack. You can't just insert batteries into the system like you can with the Game Gear.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Punisher5.0 said:

These days the stock Nomad screen is hard to look at. I would have to put a modern screen in it. A Genesis console is still pretty cheap. Id start with the console and go from there.

^^ this

If you don't know if you like the Genesis or not, start with the TV console, and get the Nomad if you decide you like it. 

Genesis is awesome, I don't see why you wouldn't enjoy it, but the Nomad screen isn't as amazing today as it seemed when it was new. 

The Nomad is a great system but you need the TFT upgrade and preferably new capacitors.

A few guys on ebay are doing upgrades for it and they're awesome.

The D-pad is not as ergonomic to use compared to the Genesis controllers (my all -time favorite controller) but does the job fine.

Would love to see Retro-bit and Sega redo the Nomad as speculated at the beginning of the year so we'll find out soon, maybe.....(vaporware B gone)

Then again, if you want early Sega games on the go and can deal with a tiny but beautiful screen, the Bittboy v3 plays all Genesis, Master System, Game Gear, and Sega CD games very well and it uses Gameboy Advance SP batteries that are cheap and plentiful.

Edited by chuckwalla
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, chuckwalla said:

Then again, if you want early Sega games on the go and can deal with a tiny but beautiful screen, the Bittboy v3 plays all Genesis, Master System, Game Gear, and Sega CD games very well and it uses Gameboy Advance SP batteries that are cheap and plentiful.

It also plays GameBoy, GBC, GBA, Lynx, and other games. What a time to be alive!

https://www.bittboy.com/collections/pocketgo/products/pocketgo-retro-handheld

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The Nomad is great, but needs a little attention to make it more modern.  I did the little jumper wire to make it compatible with Master System games several years ago, put a new LCD screen in mine a while back, and did the sound mod that lets it play FM sound for SMS games that support it.  Combine that with a Hyperkin HDMI adapter cord and you're in business both portable and on a modern TV.  It could still use a LiON battery pack conversion, but I'll probably stop here with the updates.  If you're a stickler for sound, there is a sound chip mod you can do that gives it the full quality of a model 1 Genesis (the best sounding model).

For my current arrangement, I have my Nomad with me, but my Genesis is in storage.  (I don't have a lot of space where I live, so I have to be very selective about what consoles I bring out of storage... and I mostly have my cartridges for all systems in storage and only keep out the Everdrives and equivalents).