IGNORED

Ownership of IP

Flojomojo

Considering the Horace games took game concepts from: Pac-Man, Frogger, Pitfall,  Smurf:Rescue In Gargamel's Castle and Space Panic...

It seems a little rich for my tastes for anyone to now say what can or cannot be done with the character.

The games creators were happy to rip off game mechanics from far and wide.

On 10/24/2019 at 3:45 AM, gyratory said:

I hope you don't mind but but I've a few general questions.

When you buy up old gane IP what level of documentation do you look for to feel comfortable that you will own it after the purchase?

I can imagine it'd be tricky if the IP belonged to a company that gone through a series of acquisitions.

If you had the purchase agreement for each company sale it'd be easy to show a chain of ownership but those things are often hard to come by.

If those documents aren't available what kind of secondary documentation / testimony would you use to satisfy your due dilligence?

Cheers :)

gaz

Get in writing confirmation or denial from other company owners if they kept any IP after company acquisitions.

and SEC filings, pacer, etc

Im not going to reveal lots of my trade secrets :).

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Lost Dragon said:

Considering the Horace games took game concepts from: Pac-Man, Frogger, Pitfall,  Smurf:Rescue In Gargamel's Castle and Space Panic...

It seems a little rich for my tastes for anyone to now say what can or cannot be done with the character.

The games creators were happy to rip off game mechanics from far and wide.

The catch is game mechanics cannot be protected.  But, that is being attacked and made irrelevant because you don't need to win a lawsuit: just afford the costs.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gemintronic said:

The catch is game mechanics cannot be protected.  But, that is being attacked and made irrelevant because you don't need to win a lawsuit: just afford the costs.

I'm just sat here watching this HoraceGate affair roll on and on and thinking what a world we currently find ourselves in.

Can i assume someone has or intends to buy the I.P rights for the  Steve Bak creation, Cuthbert? 

Obscure, appeared on Dragon 32, C64, A8 etc

Appeared in games that were based on other people's titles:

Cuthbert Goes Walkabout  (Amidar by Konami)

Cuthbert Goes Digging (Space Panic)

Cuthbert In The Mines (Frogger)

Cuthbert In Space (Joust/JetPac)

Cuthbert In The Jungle (blatant Pitfall clone so Activision sued them).

Or has nobody been making Plush Dolls and  supposed paradox videos of him on You Tube and making money from both apparently? 

Because that appears to be the root cause of the events in this case.

I mean Horace is not even in the same league as likes of:

Zool

Chuck Rock

James Pond

Blasto

Vodoo Vince

English Law is an awful messy and drawn out affair at the very best of times.

Was there ever any real danger of this going Horace Gate nonsense ever going to court?

Or has it all been blown out of proportion by supposed armies of Social Media Celebrities followers?

There constantly seems to be some big fiasco blowing up over use of old I.P..

Steve Wilcox of Elite not paying royalty payments for games included with that ZX Spectrum Bluetooth keyboard. .

Nintendo taking down C64 port of Super Mario Bros which had been worked on for over 7 years...

Is this really in the same league? .

I've only watched a few Octav1us videos and found them much like Kim Justice, Nostaliga Nerd, Guru Larry and THGM videos. 

Not to my personal tastes and when they are documentry types, the research involved could be an awful lot better, but if she can make a living from Y.T, fair play to her.

Guy i worked with for years quit his job at our place, full time You Tuber now and has his own clothing range based on his channel,  but he does his own, original content and just makes the type of content his fans want..watching him play games from start to finish.

If you'd told me 10 years ago he could make a living off that, i would of openly laughed, but now....

Edited by Lost Dragon

22 hours ago, Lost Dragon said:

Can i assume someone has or intends to buy the I.P rights for the  Steve Bak creation, Cuthbert?

According to Subversive they acquired Microdeal's catalogue as well so it would be Paul Andrews holding the flag for both Horace and Cuthbert, two characters that once started off as rip-offs of other popular games. Not that any "patent" infringements that happened 35 years ago should play any importance to the actual IP today.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, carlsson said:

According to Subversive they acquired Microdeal's catalogue as well so it would be Paul Andrews holding the flag for both Horace and Cuthbert, two characters that once started off as rip-offs of other popular games. Not that any "patent" infringements that happened 35 years ago should play any importance to the actual IP today.

Bloody hell ?

I did not expect to hear this news (like how out of touch am i ?)

Mine was a light hearted look at the current situation and a bit of light Mickey taking about how absurd I thought it all was.

Lesson learned well there by myself and really appreciate the heads up.

What a world.