IGNORED

Bass Fishing Tournament (WIP)

TwentySixHundred

33 minutes ago, TwentySixHundred said:

No worries, yeah i noticed the hard work you were putting in getting the Jag games prepped for orders on facebook posts. All good no stress, cheers for checking it out ?

-Anthony

Thanks for the kind words and checking out the game ?Yeah the lunker is fairly rare although i had raised the probability quite a bit. What i like about the lunker is he adds many variables for high scores. The factors of if or how many times he appears can vary greatly, then there is the time to land him in the boat can make or break a run. He also adds some excitement when making an appearance which is cool.

That is so true! I can't help but go for him when I see him. Even if it ruins my run it is like a trophy to reel him in. I do hope you more towards finalizing and getting it on cart. It has been one of the more WIP games that have got play time from me in a LONG time. I need to play on PC because I think touch controls are 'making me do worse'.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MrBeefy said:

That is so true! I can't help but go for him when I see him. Even if it ruins my run it is like a trophy to reel him in. I do hope you more towards finalizing and getting it on cart. It has been one of the more WIP games that have got play time from me in a LONG time. I need to play on PC because I think touch controls are 'making me do worse'.

Thanks, yeah i haven't real hardware set up to test it on, at the moment im just using Stella with an gamepad which feels perfect. Not sure how it translate to joystick though, im guessing having more throw with the joystick adds difficulty.

Basically i need to get my rear into gear with finishing up the other rounds colours. Biggest issue is it gets tricky with the laptop screen as it displays Atari colours in slightly different shades as to the TV. So after making changes i need to test it on the desktop and big TV, then go back on the laptop to make changes. There also is the hurdle of as things get darker each round picking the right colours is becoming more difficult as the 2600 has a somewhat limited pallet.

I will get it done it's just a matter of not botching it up and getting the dusk - night cycle to fit the gradient is kind of tricky. Who would think the coding is actually easier then the colouring lol

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MrBeefy said:

So playing some again. It seems that 'ole El Gigante (my current nickname for him) noticeably drops lower when you snag him. Is that by design?

Yes it is but if you can time the button press and snag from the top at the precise timing you can achieve the opposite effect :) However it takes practice and getting it wrong actually makes it worse then snagging from underneath. Its a confidence and skill type thing - Developer hot tip ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TwentySixHundred said:

Yes it is but if you can time the button press and snag from the top at the precise timing you can achieve the opposite effect :) However it takes practice and getting it wrong actually makes it worse then snagging from underneath. Its a confidence and skill type thing - Developer hot tip ?

Ooooh good to know. I had got to the point i just kept going from beneath to factor in my slow reaction.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, eegad said:

What's the deal with the B/W switch- No fish, just assorted garbage to catch? Is there a garbage lunker?   ?

Yeah just cliche garbage items fishermen snag when fishing, the lunker is a garbage item also although im not sure if im happy with what he is lol. Was actually an super easy Easter egg to find for a bit of fun however it's more somewhat of a different gameplay mode :)

Latest Build: Bass Fishing Tournament 20191115.bin First post also updated.

So this will probably be the final build unless any bugs are reported or an majority request. I have a total of about 600bytes combined and in total across the maingame banks. Minus a bank that is used for the titlescreen and weigh in screen alone which has 1200bytes. While the graphics bank only has about 400bytes left. There is 4,890 lines of code so the 32k ROM is nearly filled to the brim. Might not look like there is much complexity to the game on the outside, however there is alot going on with the math, animation and data.

This is all after complete optimization and code crunching so the program runs as optimized as possible, enjoyable yet fulfilling. The last binary was basically an optimization and code crunch to prep the last three levels. This build is the missing levels with everything pieced together. Now i have added those levels there isn't much room for anything else other then tweaks, small gameplay features, bug fixes and probably a few more Easter Eggs if i feel like adding some more.

Change Log:

• Three additional rounds making a total of six
  • Minor change to one the Easter Eggs
  • Audio notification cue tone has been changed to be less annoying
  • Rounds one - two share the same colour gradients while three - four and five - six share their own.

It's been fun working on the game and now the other two i have had on the side i can concentrate on more. Hope everyone that plays enjoys the game. And like i said i will fix any bugs or majority requests shall they arise.

Cheers

-Anthony

Edited by TwentySixHundred
  • Like 2

Quick bug fix, i had the score requirement back to front on one the levels. Fixed binary here first post updated aswell.

Edit: Oh my another bug found ? ok this should be a final fix i hope Bass Fishing Tournament.bin

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

CONGRATULATIONS to Bass Fishing Tournament for being nominated in the 2019 Atari Homebrew Awards!

Be sure to vote your favourite homebrew games of 2019 with the links below and watch the awards LIVE on February 1, 2020!

Awards Show: February 1, 2020 @ 12:00PM PT | 3PM ET | 8PM GMT LIVE on the ZeroPage Homebrew Twitch Channel!

Atari Homebrew Awards Categories (VOTE IN ALL!!):

1212899911_2019AtariHomebrewAwardsLaurel-Nominated-BestHomebrewAtari2600.jpg.9e3f9951f69ca134bc8dcb573b7effdf.jpg1931424740_2019AtariHomebrewAwardsLaurel-Nominated-BestGraphicsAtari2600.jpg.cdae8b4240370631f2a0d578cec14080.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MrBeefy said:

Great game good luck!

Thanks mate ?

9 hours ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

CONGRATULATIONS to Bass Fishing Tournament for being nominated in the 2019 Atari Homebrew Awards!

Be sure to vote your favourite homebrew games of 2019 with the links below and watch the awards LIVE on February 1, 2020!

Awards Show: February 1, 2020 @ 12:00PM PT | 3PM ET | 8PM GMT LIVE on the ZeroPage Homebrew Twitch Channel!

Atari Homebrew Awards Categories (VOTE IN ALL!!):

Im fairly sure this thread had the latest build however i know the completed thread definitely was the last build (pls visit below).

• Like 2