IGNORED

CollectorVision Phoenix Release Thread

Bmack36

1 minute ago, Bmack36 said:

Except for the fact it is the only released product that can play original colecovision cartridge games

or the only one that can play directly using the roller controller or driving controller or spinner

Great job....
I am pretty sure that everyone out there is using it for original and physical cartridges and not just a rom off an SD Card.

Go for it.

On 11/6/2019 at 2:44 PM, Lil Alien said:

So after using the core that was attached on the first post of this thread, every one of my audio bugs went away though I did notice one other.. Certain music in certain games have an issue with volume level.. Like start quiet, then get louder at times during the level. Two games I've noticed this on was Donkey Kong (level 2), and Smurf (the first area).. Music starts quiet, then gets louder and louder, then quiet again. I'll update my github reports now.

There are now 2 different cores in the first post.  I assume this is so that you can switch back and forth between the release core and a newer core.  Which core did you use?  I see CORE02.PHX and CORE01.PHX

9 minutes ago, wongojack said:

There are now 2 different cores in the first post.  I assume this is so that you can switch back and forth between the release core and a newer core.  Which core did you use?  I see CORE02.PHX and CORE01.PHX

CORE01.PHX is the latest ColecoVision core.

CORE02.PHX is the latest Atari2600 core.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Mike Harris said:

I'm done ranting...
I know I will lose cred and I don't want to piss off my friends.

In any case, lets hope I don't get banned for expressing what I BELIEVE to be the truth.

Just because a bunch of NIntendo fanboys are gossiping about it like catty women doesn’t make it true. 

I have ONLY used carts so far!  No issues.

As far as the HDMI issues others are talking about,  I have not had this issue on my gaming TV.

However, when my TIVO goes to sleep, I have to cycle the HDMI inputs to get it to work.

So, try turning on the Phoenix and then select a different input and then go back to the correct one.

Mike’s BS posts really piss me off.  This is the CollectorVision Phoenix release thread.  None of your would-be points have anything to do with the purpose of this thread, which is to discuss the RELEASE of the console. If you want to discuss the sorry state of the Colecovision/Adam community/hardware then create your own thread and go at it but keep it out of here and other threads that are clearly designed to discuss their specific topics.

When people view the price they forget it also comes with a game.  There’s value in that too you know.  Not only that but it’s an original game and it’s stellar, one of the best every made and it somehow works on a stock Colecovision.  I too found the price initially shocking but there’s no doubt there’s value there. IF it’s not value for whoever is reading this, fine, then move along this game console simply is not for you.

Edited by Loafer
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, Loafer said:

Back on track of my issues: I use an HDMI switch box already as it was needed for this VGA in older pc monitor I’m playing it on.  I was more concerned about the garbled graphics, not the black screen, which I know all about :)

What are you using as a controller?

I am re-posting this.  Please do not delete this post.  That is enraging when I am trying to use this bespoke little device for the first time and figure out what can and can't be done to get it to work.  I can only hope you confused my post with others sh!t posting in this thread, but I am after actual information.

I get the background sound described by AtariLeaf and someone else (who I quoted in my original post that is now gone).  I added the info for my TV to the GitHub workitem/issue:  https://github.com/CollectorVision/Phoenix-Colecovision/issues/6

Anyway, if I run the Phoenix through an HDMI to composite converter, things look at sound as they should.  Straight HDMI and there is loud distortion behind the menus and games.  After updating the Coleco core to the core in the first post of this thread, I still hear the distortion behind the initial boot up screen that says Phoenix and prompts for core selection and that distortion is there throughout core selection etc. However since core update, the distortion is now absent from the game selection menu and gameplay.  Sounds good right?  Except the sound through HDMI is terrible.  If I play Caverns of Death through the composite cable the music sounds great, through HDMI, it sounds like it is playing every 3rd note or something.  It sounds terrible.  This was true for Mecha 8 as well.

Edit - Atari 2600 Core has the same sound problems.  Playing SeaQuest for example through the composite adapter sounds fine while playing it over HDMI is terrible.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, wongojack said:

I am re-posting this.  Please do not delete this post.  That is enraging when I am trying to use this bespoke little device for the first time and figure out what can and can't be done to get it to work.  I can only hope you confused my post with others sh!t posting in this thread, but I am after actual information.

I get the background sound described by AtariLeaf and someone else (who I quoted in my original post that is now gone).  I added the info for my TV to the GitHub workitem/issue:  https://github.com/CollectorVision/Phoenix-Colecovision/issues/6

Anyway, if I run the Phoenix through an HDMI to composite converter, things look at sound as they should.  Straight HDMI and there is loud distortion behind the menus and games.  After updating the Coleco core to the core in the first post of this thread, I still hear the distortion behind the initial boot up screen that says Phoenix and prompts for core selection and that distortion is there throughout core selection etc. However since core update, the distortion is now absent from the game selection menu and gameplay.  Sounds good right?  Except the sound through HDMI is terrible.  If I play Caverns of Death through the composite cable the music sounds great, through HDMI, it sounds like it is playing every 3rd note or something.  It sounds terrible.  This was true for Mecha 8 as well.

Posts looking for support should be included in this thread as this is actually the place to do it.

The background sound issues seems to be related to something related to specific TVs. This is something we are looking into, but don't have a solution yet. I am updating the first post soon with a new version. Try that one out and see if anything changes. Without having that sound issue on any of my TVs is tougher to fix.

Edited by Bmack36
  • Like 4

33 minutes ago, wongojack said:

Edit - Atari 2600 Core has the same sound problems.  Playing SeaQuest for example through the composite adapter sounds fine while playing it over HDMI is terrible.

For someone else on here, the there was a setting for sound on their TV, like DTS or something, they had to change.

4 minutes ago, digress said:

It used the

1) original controllers,

2) roller controller,

3) steering controller

4) superaction controller and

5) you can plug in a nearly 40 year old cart directly and play it.

no other emulation setup supports that. that is why is worth it for a coleco nostalgic person. The multiply emulator boxes don't coleco games well and you can't use any of the above.

It's turned out really well and I love it. 

I use a USB mouse as a roller controller!

54 minutes ago, Loafer said:

At the moment and I think during all the tests:  that NTT SNES type controller with the keyboard

Okay. I had something like that and I thought it might be from a battery powered controller I was using, but not certain. Sounds like it is not from your controller.

24 minutes ago, Bmack36 said:

First Post updated with updated CV core. Changelog on first post

Just squeezed in a quick test of the new core and the new scanlines/flicker menu.  Found some issues with it:

1. With the menu displayed, pressing 1 on my controller would briefly switch to scanlines but would then immediately switch them off as I released the 1 on the controller keypad.  Seems rather temperamental to get the scanlines to toggle and land on the setting you want.
  2. The flicker menu item certainly toggles between ON and OFF nicely.  However, if I set it to ON, then press 9 to exit the menu, and then press * again to access it the menu shows flicker as being OFF even though I left set it to ON.
  3. This menu doesn't work if using real cartridges - or are these new menu settings now persistent?

4 minutes ago, Ikrananka said:

Just squeezed in a quick test of the new core and the new scanlines/flicker menu.  Found some issues with it:

1. With the menu displayed, pressing 1 on my controller would briefly switch to scanlines but would then immediately switch them off as I released the 1 on the controller keypad.  Seems rather temperamental to get the scanlines to toggle and land on the setting you want.
  2. The flicker menu item certainly toggles between ON and OFF nicely.  However, if I set it to ON, then press 9 to exit the menu, and then press * again to access it the menu shows flicker as being OFF even though I left set it to ON.
  3. This menu doesn't work if using real cartridges - or are these new menu settings now persistent?

The menu should work with real carts. You just need to hold * or # when the core boots or during a reset. So when the system powers up and the LED turns off to load the core, then press and hold * or # until the menu comes up. You can also hold * or # and then hit the reset button while holding the button and it will bring up the menu.

The settings are not persistent so you would need to set them up each time. (This may not be the end goal solution, but will allow the games to be played properly in the mean time).

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, wongojack said:

Sounds like something with Toshiba tv's. I wonder if other Toshiba's do the same thing or just specific models? I suppose my solution for now is an HDMI to composite adapter. I don't mind playing the Phoenix via composite

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Bmack36 said:

First Post updated with updated CV core. Changelog on first post

Thank you, I updated to it.  This core seems to return the original behavior for me where I get constant background distortion - no music or sound effects at all.

I take it you must use an original Coleco controller and press * # to enter the new menu?  It doesn't seem to work with a SNES controller

The Yellow light is nice.  It DOES help to understand when the power is still active.

2 minutes ago, wongojack said:

Thank you, I updated to it.  This core seems to return the original behavior for me where I get constant background distortion - no music or sound effects at all.

I take it you must use an original Coleco controller and press * # to enter the new menu?  It doesn't seem to work with a SNES controller

The Yellow light is nice.  It DOES help to understand when the power is still active.

You can enter with a SNES controller by using the mappings for the * and # keys, which are Hold down R shoulder button and either Start or Select

The menu is only active during core boot, reset, or sd loader menu.

Edited by Bmack36
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2