IGNORED

HSC16 Round 19: Phantom + Action Quest

PHANTOM

image.png.0ba1cd26a90295479ba8148dc4b8a546.png

The Halloween round is back! Well sort of. Phantom is another game I really like despite it's clunckiness. It's a steady game, sort of turn based like a BASIC game so you need to be frugal with the shooting. There is a bit I always get stuck on (out of shots) but not 100% convinced that it is impossible to complete. You can kill multiple ghosties by getting them to walk into your beam, it's all about the timing. Also try little taps of the fire button for the multi-hit kills.

Download from fandal and checkout the info on atarimania

Due to popular demand Action Quest is also part of our seasonal spooktacklear!

ACTION QUEST

image.gif.b5c688a1648040b84e1d0d83cb2f6811.gif

Download from fandal or atarionline.pl checkout the info on atarimania

This round now ends Sunday 17th November 10pm UK time

Everyone Welcome just post a score and say hello.

Have fun

16 hours ago, RedThunder said:

Kind of Ghostbusters like ?

Something from  the recent Inktober2019

Any of you guys on Instagram ?

Perhaps we include Action Quest (Ghost Included) ;-)

http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-400-800-xl-xe-action-quest_71.html

Nice pic, (I'm not on instagram). OK we can have Action Quest in the round and make it a 2 weeker, we played Ghost Encounters previously and it was good fun so AQ will be nice.

• Like 1

Phantom - 115 pts

phantom-115.thumb.jpg.9606208a179c6bbd75b23e8cb2d11be0.jpg

The heart beat monitor reminds me of Weird Dreams, which of course never saw an A8 conversion, though it is available for the ST.

Unfortunately my SIO2SD doesn't seem to load ATX or CAS files, which means I can't try Action Quest except in emulation or if someone manages to convert it to an ATR, XEX etc.

• Like 1

Your heart rate is best kept low by avoiding being touched by the ghouls! There is the odd pickup to reset it, everything is in fixed positions. See my two hints on the first posts guys.

Fandal has an XEX of Action Quest, atarionline.pl has several XEX and ATR versions.

I'll re-do the first post adding AQ in.

• Like 1

Had my first sesson on Phantom

You cannot reset your heart rate!

300 then 1185 reaching "part 2" The Dungeon which is the 2nd of the 4 parts of the game.

Phantom is not as sluggish as I remembered! You need to make use of the killing by shooting in front of the ghosts, usually as they walk down a longer corridor, this is 100% effective as shooting them can sometimes not kill them and take 2 shots etc. You can trade off shooting them all for the bonus on each screen vs saving some shots for the boss at the end of each level. For the bosses use little taps on the button, need 7 shots.

Once you get more accurate and learn where the battery packs are for your ectoplasmic rifle (yes I made that up) you can probably kill all the ghosts and get all the bonuses, interestingly on some "parts" there is a choice of routes. The levels are relatively small and so is the game so it's not too overwhelming

:)

14 hours ago, carlsson said:

Yeah, I consider the heart rate as a life counter with 30 lives to spend except that you don't die and start over all the time.

You CAN reset your heart rate! By completing each location!

:D

Got well into the dungeon last night, surviving on 99% for a few screens is chellenging. The trade off is between life and shots, so forget about the cleared screen bonuses after the first level and concentrate on minimal shots. Far better results from firing across them so they walk into the stream. Nice when you take out multiple ghosts with a single shot.

We can play for progress as well as score so say how far you get HSCers, best score 1185, best progress reached this guy, then made it to the green screen in the Dungeon

Photo2596.jpg.cbbb5aeb5bbc392a76d60ac533ca3d77.jpg

Also played the bonus game Action Quest, reached level 3 9/21 12m 8:55 "Novice"

Photo2597.jpg

Photo2595.jpg

Photo2594.jpg

Photo2589.jpg

• Like 1

Got further into the Dungeon, not improved score but managed to last out longer by really trying to minimise wasted firing, tempted to play another session now but must resist :)

Sometimes you get annoying lockups, the two ghosts here are wedged, that was ok but then the one near the door is also wedged and couldn't be shot = game over. You might get the odd bit of plasma stream left too, you cannot pass it but can clear it with another shot, though it will still kill the ghosts if they wander into it!

885438233_PhantomLockup.jpg.eabf02a5c7093c7f61dbffd51d5c9ffe.jpg

• Like 1

Just reached level 4 of the dungeon - note not improved score, you really need to economise on the shooting. It's 100% kill if they walk into your beam, head on shot seems to need between 1 and 3 shots. If I'd not got in a panic and wasted a load of shots as I was 98% then I might have got past this to location 3 - I can't remember what that is so looking forward to seeing it!

415651257_DungeonLv3.jpg.7c3f1a6ab6ad840f140f84177b8375f7.jpg1331286103_DungeonLv4.jpg.d046c237c89ea38ccab34507df2af13c.jpg

• Like 1

On 11/6/2019 at 9:11 PM, therealbountybob said:

Got further into the Dungeon, not improved score but managed to last out longer by really trying to minimise wasted firing, tempted to play another session now but must resist :)

Sometimes you get annoying lockups, the two ghosts here are wedged, that was ok but then the one near the door is also wedged and couldn't be shot = game over. You might get the odd bit of plasma stream left too, you cannot pass it but can clear it with another shot, though it will still kill the ghosts if they wander into it!

885438233_PhantomLockup.jpg.eabf02a5c7093c7f61dbffd51d5c9ffe.jpg

Platyed loads more Phantom, reached Level 4 of the Dungeon but too much pressure!! Had this (above) same lockup again, the ghost turning towards the door, so on this screen take out one (or both) of the two ghosts on the top left before getting the key.

There is another variant... Castle Hassle

http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-400-800-xl-xe-castle-hassle_921.html

Not sure if its AQ then GE joined together.

PS  This version was by Roklan who Journey to the Planets

http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-400-800-xl-xe-journey-to-the-planets_14136.html

Perhaps something a future round.

• Like 2