IGNORED

TVs that work well with Phoenix

Hastor

Currently all of my sets suffer from the issue documented here:

https://github.com/CollectorVision/Phoenix-Colecovision/issues/4

Basically HDMI provides some power, so the system isn't fully powered down, making the next boot fail and show some garbage screens.

The current solution is to unplug/replug the HDMI cable, or install an HDMI switch.

Does anyone have a screen that doesn't have this issue? I'd be down to get a small screen to dedicate to my Phoenix, but only if I can be certain this won't be an issue?

Seems like starting a thread of TVs without the issue might be useful. I experience it on my 2016 LG OLED 65" as well as a small Dynex (Best Buy brand) $99 720p set.

What do people have that's working well, and not having this issue? Note I find it happens nearly every time after playing a cartridge, while I can use the SD without it for a while typically. So I'd prefer to hear from people that have tested with carts.

Edited by Hastor
  • Like 1

As I noted elsewhere, it appears that using an HDMI switch I had solves the issue, even though I leave the Phoenix selected on it. It is a mechanical switch with an LED to indicate the active input when at least one of them has power, and I can just forget its there. I tried an auto-switch but had no luck getting it to detect that something was connected (I tested it without an AC adapter connected, as one isn't usually necessary).

So while knowing some sets that work or don't might be useful, this was a really simple solution. When I heard placing a switch was the solution, I assumed I'd need to toggle it every time I powered off.

• 3 months later...

My Phoenix won’t work with my Sony Bravia HD TV as I get sound but no picture. Recently I tried to connect it to the VGA input which works for video display but it has no sound output this way. My VGA has an input for audio but Phoenix only has the HDMI out. I’ll have to look into getting an HD to Composite adapter or else an HD to RF adapter but both of those require power & I was hoping to avoid any more clutter, wires, etc. as my current set-up uses all the power sockets from my two power strips. 

01071F1C-0BB1-4F90-A3A4-230934A9A4CC.jpeg

Edited by rodge2001

8 hours ago, rodge2001 said:

My Phoenix won’t work with my Sony Bravia HD TV as I get sound but no picture. Recently I tried to connect it to the VGA input which works for video display but it has no sound output this way. My VGA has an input for audio but Phoenix only has the HDMI out. I’ll have to look into getting an HD to Composite adapter or else an HD to RF adapter but both of those require power & I was hoping to avoid any more clutter, wires, etc. as my current set-up uses all the power sockets from my two power strips. 

01071F1C-0BB1-4F90-A3A4-230934A9A4CC.jpeg

The HDMI to VGA adapter should have a stereo jack, in most cases, although ones for computers may not.

https://www.amazon.com/UGREEN-Adapter-Converter-Raspberry-Digital/dp/B01GFMW91E/

1 hour ago, zaphro72 said:

They should but unfortunately with the Phoenix there are some quirks that some TV's do not seem to like. Like on my Samsung Q70 it will be recognized by the tv if I turn my OSSC on, which shares the same HDMI hub. 

Maybe it might concern only with Phoenix but ...

Should I worrying this issue if I buy consoles today and might not working on my TV?

I have a laptop plugged on my tv HDMI2 and it works fine, picture and sound.

I don't think you should worry in general. The issue is that the Phoenix still gets a little power from the TV HDMI, keeping it from fully resetting everything in it, causing a crash when turned on again.

Most HDMI devices keep this in mind, and are tested across different screens and setups. I'd only be concerned with small projects like this which may have less testing on fewer screens or be unaware that some screens provide continuous power.

I hope if there's ever a revision, that they correct this. As the user of many HDMI devices, including all three major consoles, this is the only one I've had this kind of trouble with. HDMI is typically universal, there's just an oddity here.

• 4 weeks later...

Mine is a 32" hisense from about six years ago. I may have encounters the issue of HSMI feedback once, but I'm not sure. It's had been on a powered HDMI switch box with the XBox 360,  XBox One and Wii U pretty much all the time, although now its in the closet to save space.

On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2020 at 6:23 AM, Swami said:

The HDMI to VGA adapter should have a stereo jack, in most cases, although ones for computers may not.

https://www.amazon.com/UGREEN-Adapter-Converter-Raspberry-Digital/dp/B01GFMW91E/

I was mistaken; my VGA adapter does have an audio "output" which I had originally thought was an audio input.  Now that I've realized this I can have Phoenix video on my HDTV and the 1/8" audio output from the VGA adapter goes to a speaker.  My TV does have an 1/8" jack for audio but it's output only.  I need to have my TV set to PC in order for it to display the VGA signal.  I just hope I can alternately have my surround system channel set to audio input without affecting the PC channel setting on TV; my HDTV and surround sound system are integrated. 

Another thing I realized is that an "HDMI to Composite converter" may not require power.  But a Composite to HDMI converter would require power.  So going from the Phoenix HDMI signal to a Composite signal would fall into the first category thereby not requiring external power to convert the signal which is ideal for those with limited power plugs left available.  Realizing this I may forgo VGA and instead go the HDMI to Composite route but that may not look as clear as VGA which looks near perfect. 

Although I still want to be able to play my Phoenix on my old CRT TV too and in order to do that I would need to convert Phoenix HDMI to RF.  Ideally I would like to have the Phoenix on BOTH my HDTV and my CRT TV simultaneously.  That is how I have my original ColecoVision set up as well as my NES, SNES, and N64 which is pretty awesome to play on both at same time.

Edited by rodge2001

Surely your CRT has at least RCA input? If it is RF only, go to a thrift store and get one with RCA for $25. I got mine cheap and used, one at a yard sale, the other off craigs list, for about that much. Both are 35", one Sony, one Sharp. Both have S-video, component, and RCA inputs.

On 3/10/2020 at 7:18 PM, Hastor said:

Surely your CRT has at least RCA input? If it is RF only, go to a thrift store and get one with RCA for $25. I got mine cheap and used, one at a yard sale, the other off craigs list, for about that much. Both are 35", one Sony, one Sharp. Both have S-video, component, and RCA inputs.

My CRT has only one “cable ready” type input. I use an adapter to go to a single RCA source like that of an original ColecoVision cable. I really like the TV but it certainly lacks better/multiple inputs. My space is limited to just a single CRT & I like that it has a retro woodgrain look to it. Plus it’s screen is centered as opposed to offset. And I don’t want a gray or silver TV which most later ones seem to be. And I don’t at all need the extra size to accommodate larger stereo speakers since I have audio routed to my surround sound. If I found the right TV I could swap it out but my current one is practically sentimental & sometimes I like the sound of the mono TV speaker & even the interlaced RF interference. Or else I may as well differ to my HDTV which handles retro graphics very well as far as I can tell & I notice very little latency; latency being a main reason for my CRT in addition to its nostalgic presence. 

Edited by rodge2001