IGNORED

Silver Label NTSC Asteroids

keebz

I feel like the 1986 silver label NTSC Asteroids label variant should be waaaaaay higher than the current guide has it at, which is "3". I'm not sure how the guide is based, but this one tends to bug me and I didn't know this part of the forum existed. Any thoughts? Am I crazy? 

• 4 weeks later...

It should be higher than 3, but the AtariAge rarity guide is kinda out of date and out of whack in some cases.

As far as the rarity of Atari Corp. Asteroids (the label's actually gray, BTW, not silver. I don't think Atari Corp. ever printed actual silver foil labels like the 1982-84 Atari Inc. releases, although this is good example of the AA rarity guide's need for updating, as it originates from a time when the distinction between Atari Inc. and Atari Corp. was not really recognized or understood), I might put it at around R5, maybe R6. I've found three or four in the wild in the last decade, as well as others I've seen at shows and conventions where the vendors thought they were worth a small fortune.

18 minutes ago, DamonicFury said:

For what it’s worth, there IS also a true silver label Atari Inc version of Asteroids.  I feel very lucky to have picked it up in an EBay lot, even though the condition isn’t the greatest. 

B9DB1D53-14DD-457F-B0CA-9E5A6908E0B4.jpeg

Is that a PAL cart? I believe the only silver label Asteroids NTSC cart is dated 1986. All the others are PAL and not that rare. But this gets to the core of my post. There is at least one label variant of asteroids in a silver label that is NTSC and it is insanely hard to track down. Is it a +8/9? Meh I don't know... But it's way higher than a 3. It was, I'm lead to believe, only released for one year in NA.

On 12/9/2019 at 2:49 PM, keebz said:

Is that a PAL cart? I believe the only silver label Asteroids NTSC cart is dated 1986. All the others are PAL and not that rare. But this gets to the core of my post. There is at least one label variant of asteroids in a silver label that is NTSC and it is insanely hard to track down. Is it a +8/9? Meh I don't know... But it's way higher than a 3. It was, I'm lead to believe, only released for one year in NA.

I don't think it is.  It came from a North American seller and doesn't roll on my 80's Montgomery Ward TV.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
On 1/3/2020 at 10:22 PM, DamonicFury said:

Here you go...

6EA2D89F-1035-4A66-9680-CD851A50699E.jpeg

3946D957-B67E-406B-9F18-25AEB63B6324.jpeg

I finally found one of these, in the wild no less. Mine is different than this one; has a 1986 copyright on the front label, and 'Atari Corp' instead of Inc. Mine is alot cleaner, though I had to reglue the end label as it was almost off. 

One thing I've always wanted to know - what manual did the silver asteroids come with?  I read on some other threads that the box is the normal red release but with an 1986 copyright, but since I intend to try and track down the correct manual I'd like to know what it had, from someone who bought a copy of the game CIB. 

I never knew how Atari Age rated some of these games in terms of rarity, don't feel that this one is an 8 or 9 like someone above said - I have a feeling there are more of these out there, but since to most people its just another 'Asteroids' they don't know/care about variants.  It seems like it could be a R5 or R6 though. I've never found anything rarer than a 6 in the wild. 

Edited by SearsRoebuck

15 hours ago, SearsRoebuck said:

I finally found one of these, in the wild no less. Mine is different than this one; has a 1986 copyright on the front label, and 'Atari Corp' instead of Inc. Mine is alot cleaner, though I had to reglue the end label as it was almost off. 

One thing I've always wanted to know - what manual did the silver asteroids come with?  I read on some other threads that the box is the normal red release but with an 1986 copyright, but since I intend to try and track down the correct manual I'd like to know what it had, from someone who bought a copy of the game CIB. 

I never knew how Atari Age rated some of these games in terms of rarity, don't feel that this one is an 8 or 9 like someone above said - I have a feeling there are more of these out there, but since to most people its just another 'Asteroids' they don't know/care about variants.  It seems like it could be a R5 or R6 though. I've never found anything rarer than a 6 in the wild. 

The manual is in black and white. A thick multi language manual.