IGNORED

Atari 2600 Throw Back Zine - monthly publication

Anybody reading these?  They are available on Amazon and run in the area of $10 each.  They are full colour and feature some stories, in depth game reviews, vintage ads and short bite sized reviews.  I find them an enjoyable read and made me think back to when the 2600 Connection was in print.

In addition to the monthly zines... the author Michael Salzman also published several Atari 2600 books based on various 3rd parties that made games for the 2600 (Parker Bros, Activision, Coleco... you get the idea) and they feature a great reference guide for the games, especially if you never had the manual!  

I wanted to post this as I've enjoyed reading these books and wanted to share.  The author has a Patreon setup at www.patreon.com/atari2600 and for just $2 a month, you get some cool perks and my favourite one is the trading card the I receive in the mail.  As an Atari 2600 fan and collector, these trading cards are awesome!  Each month you receive a new card and by being a Patron, you can also earn the high score cards!  There are several games that you need to achieve a certain score as posted on the high score site which is www.2600club.com and I've managed to secure a few of the cards for myself (that Centipede is eluding me but that's not important lol).

There is even a possibility that there may be Activision Patch cards in the future... which would be a great way for us to finally earn some of these.  Sure they won't be the actual patches but who cares, people get excited over virtual trophies and achievements so I'm excite about a physical patch card!  lol

I need to order more of these zines... I have the first 10 and I think they have released 18 to date.  They make for a fun read... and get you itchin' to play an old 2600 game... kind of like how Ferg gets me interested to try out a game from his latest 2600 Game by Game Podcast.

Hope to see some more people on the Patreon!  If you sign up, tell 'em King Salamon sent ya!  lol  (Yeah, like I'm getting anything for this lol)

816269950_2600throwbackzine.thumb.jpg.4cd565c3fe6ff79abebcd18f31971867.jpg

10 hours ago, TrekMD said:

I have been reading these.  I like them.

Have you attempted the score challenges for the 2600 Club?  It's like a mix of the Activision patches back in the day and modern day trophies/achievements.  You don't have to be a Patron to earn your first card... but if the itch gets to you and you want more, sign up for $2 a month and try to get them all!  Plus you'll receive a monthly zine card that you've seen in the magazine.

I agree, these zines are a good read.  I had to stop reading issue 10 because it included a walkthrough for Raiders of The Lost Ark.  I still want to play through that game and now I can use the walkthrough in the zine on an 'as needed basis'.  lol  Looking forward to reading more of these.

18 minutes ago, TrekMD said:

I never have tried the score challenges.  It's a cool idea.  I just saw there are more issues that I need to order.

As for the issues... I agree 100%!  They are monthly releases and before I know it, there's a new one out!  I'm looking forward to reading #12 - the Pitfall Issues.

As for the score challenges... it is pretty cool and gets you to play the 2600 and perhaps a game you've never played before.  I'm enjoying it!

• Like 1

585066645_zinecards.thumb.jpg.3fcdc71b256892d935e3fcee3f236001.jpg

Just received the latest Zine Trading Card today!  Oh and two of the high score cards as well!  Go out there and get a qualifying score and get your free card... once you get one, you'll want to get them all!  Each month there's a new game to play and earn that card!  It's a lot of fun and it gets you playing some Atari!  Go to 2600club.com and check it out.

• 2 months later...

There's a pretty cool thing going on this weekend on the 2600club.com website!  There's an Atari Golf tournament going on!  Submit your best score this weekend and you can win an Atari Golf tournament card!  I submitted my score this morning and have my fingers crossed that I make the cut!

Anyway, go to 2600club.com and check out the details!  I believe the details are in the latest Zine issue as well but I haven't ordered that issue yet.  You can find it on Amazon under Atari books... it's issue #21.

Good luck to all competitors!