IGNORED

Robot City reloaded

Thomas Jentzsch

12 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

I really would like to have some more feedback about the game and how it plays for you. E.g.

• are the difficulties of the 5 variations OK?

I find variation 1&2 way too sluggish to play. I think they would be simple enough with the speed of level 3 with the reduced number of tanks. I think that variation 3 is perfect as it is and variation 4 should be the speed of variation 3 and the difficulty of the reviving tanks is enough of an increase. Variation 5's speed is a little too fast and should be the speed of variation 4.

• is the difficulty ramp up good?

I can only speak to variation 3 for the difficulty ramp up but I think it's a touch too slow of a difficulty ramp up, a *slight* touch quicker would be better.

• are the controls exact and responsive?

Incredible, I have no problem at all with the movement or shooting. It's perfect.

• last not least: how far can you get e.g. in variation 3?

I was able to get to just under a 1000 points on variation 3 after a couple of games. I died most of the time due to stupid errors that were completely avoidable so I know I could do a lot better with even a few more games.

This is an insta-buy for me when it makes it to cartridge, thank you so much for continuing to work on this masterpiece!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

I find variation 1&2 way too sluggish to play. I think they would be simple enough with the speed of level 3 with the reduced number of tanks. I think that variation 3 is perfect as it is and variation 4 should be the speed of variation 3 and the difficulty of the reviving tanks is enough of an increase. Variation 5's speed is a little too fast and should be the speed of variation 4.

I can only speak to variation 3 for the difficulty ramp up but I think it's a touch too slow of a difficulty ramp up, a *slight* touch quicker would be better.

Very good points, thanks! 

I had about the same feeling. Anyone else want to comment on this?

• Like 1

1 & 2 are too sluggish. One sluggish level to play with the kids is enough. 

I'm fine with the difficulty on 3, but I wouldn't mind it being a bit tougher.

What are your thoughts on being able to shoot through dead enemies? I've noticed the active tanks can fire through disabled ones, but I can't shoot through the disabled tanks.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, hizzy said:

1 & 2 are too sluggish. One sluggish level to play with the kids is enough. 

I will accelerate both.

35 minutes ago, hizzy said:

I'm fine with the difficulty on 3, but I wouldn't mind it being a bit tougher.

Difficulty will ramp up a bit faster, so that will make it automatically a bit tougher.

What are your thoughts on being able to shoot through dead enemies? I've noticed the active tanks can fire through disabled ones, but I can't shoot through the disabled tanks.

That's taken from the original game. And since the tank missiles are much stronger than your shots (the missiles can kill through their own shields), it seems to make sense, no?

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

I will accelerate both.

Difficulty will ramp up a bit faster, so that will make it automatically a bit tougher.

That's taken from the original game. And since the tank missiles are much stronger than your shots (the missiles can kill through their own shields), it seems to make sense, no?

If it is taken from the original, then it should stay that way!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

I will accelerate both.

Great game. Addictive. Reminds me of the Tank stage in Tron. There is a little luck involved on whether they swarm towards you or scatter. I don't see any of the tanks getting caught in futile cycling. That timer is a bitch in higher levels, but keeps you from taking a slow-paced patience strategy, sometimes forcing you to get reckless, but I think it adds to the fun.

• Like 2

Just updated to RC 3, following the suggestions above. Changes:

• changed initial game speeds for all variations but 3 (1 and 2 are faster now, 4 and 5 are slower)
  • faster difficulty ramp up from city to city (~40% faster, please let me know if that's too much now)
  • bonus life every 2 cities cleared

Please have a look at the changes and let me know how they work for you. Thanks in advance!

10 hours ago, hizzy said:

If it is taken from the original, then it should stay that way!

I installed O2EM and double checked. Now I have to stand corrected, shots can pass killed tanks too.

I don't think this makes a major difference to the game play, but I will change that.

20 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

I installed O2EM and double checked. Now I have to stand corrected, shots can pass killed tanks too.

I don't think this makes a major difference to the game play, but I will change that.

How about making it a difficulty option? I think it adds an important strategic challenge to not be able to shoot through dead tanks.

2 minutes ago, Nathan Strum said:

How about making it a difficulty option? I think it adds an important strategic challenge to not be able to shoot through dead tanks.

Does it? I can only think about some rare situations where it really makes a difference.

What do you have in mind?

14 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Does it? I can only think about some rare situations where it really makes a difference.

If you can't fire through dead tanks, you have to navigate around them to shoot any other tanks that may end up in your line of fire on the other side (that sentence made sense in my head when I wrote it...).

If you can fire through dead tanks, it makes the game easier since it effectively opens up that entire path for you to shoot. Your enemies can already shoot over their dead comrades, so this would even the playing field. But it may not be desirable, if it makes the game too much easier.

If the Difficulty switches aren't already in use, I'd suggest Expert/A would be "can't fire through dead tanks" and Novice/B would be "can fire through dead tanks".

Anyway... you already can fire through dead tanks. If you're persistent. ;) 

(As with ZeroPage Homebrew... watch at 60fps.) 

Here are the individual frames. If the position of your shot lines up with the flickering of the dead tank's shields, it passes through them:

1821631811_Sequence02.00_00_24_29.Still004.thumb.png.f89bd14341627707a6b4156ce8e6bb75.png

1766505354_Sequence02.00_00_24_30.Still005.thumb.png.39649adb69a15f6cc77043715b96ff80.png

207340107_Sequence02.00_00_24_31.Still006.thumb.png.5579542397fec1bb8fa24b048090c98d.png

767681947_Sequence02.00_00_24_32.Still007.thumb.png.c10bb9f01eede1fbdd1997eb00884d66.png

489860864_Sequence02.00_00_24_33.Still008.thumb.png.a0b059b00926b335be0a2606d3e14d60.png

619308964_Sequence02.00_00_24_34.Still009.thumb.png.449690e471a8c8c75cb238a21522f658.png

1293077186_Sequence02.00_00_24_35.Still010.thumb.png.dde4b469d617ad90b69e5d6f47f3ded4.png

17 hours ago, Nathan Strum said:

If you can't fire through dead tanks, you have to navigate around them to shoot any other tanks that may end up in your line of fire on the other side (that sentence made sense in my head when I wrote it...).

Anyway... you already can fire through dead tanks. If you're persistent. ;) 

Yes, and I cannot prevent that. So I decided to let them always go through.

That leads to RC4 (as always in first post). Changes this time:

• helicopter shots go through killed tanks
  • new helicopter graphics (the old one looked dull). If anyone can draw a better one (or anything else that works in the scenario, the Odyssey 2 prototype had something like a moving trash can :)) using the ball...
  • bug fix in random number generation

Feedback more than welcome!

• Like 2

We'll be checking out the updates to Robot City LIVE on tomorrow's (Friday) ZeroPage Homebrew stream on Twitch at 12PM PT | 3PM ET | 8PM GMT! Hope everyone can watch!

Twitch Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/zeropagehomebrew/

Games:
- Robot City (2019 WIP Update) by Thomas Jentzsch
- Street Rod 2600 (2019 WIP) by Anthony Quinlan aka TwentySixHundred
- The End 2600 (2019 WIP Update) by Carlos aka RaymanC

Archive Video of Stream

(SET VIDEO TO 1080P60 FOR FULL QUALITY)

Edited by ZeroPage Homebrew
  • Like 1

On 11/26/2019 at 8:19 PM, Thomas Jentzsch said:
  • new helicopter graphics (the old one looked dull). If anyone can draw a better one (or anything else that works in the scenario, the Odyssey 2 prototype had something like a moving trash can :)) using the ball...

Hey man,

since it's a top down game, it's only right to have a top down view of the heli !

I don't know the dimensions or the frames used..  but would you consider something like this ?

little-choper.gif.aa5647dfaed08aafb5a70c3cc876c34e.gif

Edited by TIX

Here are a couple of variations on the side-view copter (current one is on the right).

The left one is similar to what's in Super Cobra, but requires flickering the cockpit and landing skids in the front view. The middle one lifts the skids up a little higher and widens the front view, making it look a little more aggressive.

Robot-City-copters.thumb.gif.2415b7c1f5d390d3190763980eba19ca.gif

I took a shot at making a top-view copter with just the ball. It didn't end well. ;) 

3 minutes ago, TIX said:

:P

I'd give it a shot if I was familiar with the limitations..  I'm new to the 2600 (old player though..)

Limitations:

• In every line there can be only one single object, which is either 1, 2, 4 or 8 normal pixels wide. So no gaps inside a line.
  • The beginning of the object can be shifted between lines.
  • The helicopter (or whatever you come up with) is displayed in two frames (at 15 Hz). The rotor is flickering intentionally, but the landing skids (or the cockpit window in Nathan's suggestion) are flickering to create a horizontal gap between pixels.