IGNORED

II/IIgs joystick adapter?

cdoty

Are there any currently available options for using Atari, Genesis, or Super Nintendo style joysticks on the Apple II and IIgs?

I am leaning towards using an IBM to Apple converter and using a Gravis GamePad, but I wanted to see if there were any other available options.

I would much rather have a cable that I could connect one of those style controllers to, for reliability.

• 2 weeks later...

How common is it for Apple II games to utilize the analog properties of the joystick? I understand this adapter will convert the digital signals of the joystick/gamepad to full throttle on the analog inputs. If you're using an IBM to Apple adapter with an analog joystick, you'll retain that property at the cost of a not as nice joystick.

I was gonna say, your quality of play is going to suffer with a digital stick, as all the games are designed around having an analog controller.  Some kind of contraption to adapt a USB gamepad or other modern controller with an analog stick would be a lot better than using oldskool digital sticks.

On 11/28/2019 at 10:44 AM, carlsson said:

How common is it for Apple II games to utilize the analog properties of the joystick? I understand this adapter will convert the digital signals of the joystick/gamepad to full throttle on the analog inputs. If you're using an IBM to Apple adapter with an analog joystick, you'll retain that property at the cost of a not as nice joystick.

It's probably a lot like Dos gaming. Outside of racing and flight simulators, most games used a direction only approach.

Edited by cdoty

Most of the Apple II games use simplified routines to read the joystick because of timing limitations set by the circuit when two paddle values are read. This means, almost every game would work just fine with a digital joystick. Paddle games will work differently but still be playable. Only a few games, like Choplifter, really made use of the analog values. But they can still be played once you get used to it.